Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 23 2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

Trills and Transgenderism

I was rewatching the first couple of episodes of DS9 and, after listening to the conversation Sisko has with Dax in Quark's Bar near the beginning of the episode "A Man Alone," it dawned on me how much the Trill's experience mirrors that of transgenderism.

Obviously those who are transgender transition slowly over time, and in the Trill's case, it happens conceivably over a few hours on the operating table (although, this is 24th century medicine, so it probably happens over a few minutes--I haven't seen "The Host" in a long time). Still, the concept of switching genders and having everyone around you deal with the consequences of that is very similar.

In a quote from "A Man Alone," while Sisko and Dax are having dinner together, they have the following exchange:

SISKO: I've missed your steamed azna.

DAX: You must miss Curzon too.

SISKO: He was... you were, are...a mentor, another father to me.

DAX: This happens to trills, Benjamin. Sometimes our friendships with other species don't survive because of the change.

SISKO: It won't be that way with us. It's just a little uncomfortable right now.

DAX: I suggest that you allow yourself to feel comfortable with your discomfort. Time can do the rest.
I found this eerily similar to the experiences of transgender people. Sisko is having a hard time processing that his old male friend is now a female. He basically explains that he is adapting slowly, that it's just uncomfortable for the time being while he adjusts to the changes. Jadzia is still Dax, so to speak, just with a slightly different feminine lilt to her personality. It's still Dax on the inside, with all of the same memories and experiences.

In a similar fashion, transgender people and those around them experience a major life transition. It takes time for friends and loved ones to adjust to the changes. Some people can't adapt properly, and friendships can be broken.

Obviously, it's not a straight, 1:1 conversion between the two. It's not an exact metaphor. And, most glaringly, it likely wasn't the writers' initial intent to portray a metaphor of transgenderism, but it just struck me as fascinating how often the experiences of Trills and transgender people coincide, especially when the symbiont acquiring a new host results in a gender variance.

Has this ever occurred to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old November 23 2012, 08:53 PM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Trills and Transgenderism

I've never met a Trill before, much less one that had hosts of different sexes. But I suppose if you've known someone closely for decades and then they suddenly underwent a major physical change, it might take some time to get used to it. Sisko's use of the term "Old Man" around Jadzia may have started off as a reference to Curzon, but I think it ultimately became a term of affection towards her, IMO.
Old November 23 2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

It also must have been uncomfortable for Sisko to mate with mirror universe Jadzia, as implied in "Through the Looking Glass". Presumably she carries the Dax symbiont there too, because he calls her Dax, and no one seems surprised. And the Star Trek Wiki calls her Jadzia Dax, suggesting she's joined.
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Terran
Ensign

My question is, in the episode 'Fascination', whether Dax's passion for Sisko stems from Jadzia or from Dax. Hmmmm.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 09:57 PM   #5
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

well, one of my best friends is transgendered. I knew her as a man for a decade or longer then as a woman. My husband has been friends since he was 8. I can see a
resemblence but I don't think it's the same thing.

As was proved later in DS9 in a court, a trill is not the same person they were in previous joinings because they are two personalities and lives joined.

a transgendered person is still the same person. The packaging is just a little different. And the pronouns. Belive me, the pronouns are the biggest issue for other people. lol
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Terran wrote: View Post
My question is, in the episode 'Fascination', whether Dax's passion for Sisko stems from Jadzia or from Dax. Hmmmm.
I believe it's from Jadzia. While not canon, the novelization of "Emissary" did say that the Jadzia host was privately attracted to Sisko, something that the Dax symbiont may have found amusing. "Fascination" seems to have played onto or coincided with the earlier idea in the novel.
Old November 24 2012, 02:46 AM   #7
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

wissaboo wrote: View Post
well, one of my best friends is transgendered. I knew her as a man for a decade or longer then as a woman. My husband has been friends since he was 8. I can see a
resemblence but I don't think it's the same thing.

As was proved later in DS9 in a court, a trill is not the same person they were in previous joinings because they are two personalities and lives joined.

a transgendered person is still the same person. The packaging is just a little different. And the pronouns. Belive me, the pronouns are the biggest issue for other people. lol
You're right, it's definitely not the same exact thing, but I can see how both Trills in Trek and transgendered people in reality face similar issues.

As a transgendered person myself, I found it nice to see at least a superficial comparison, in particular, the way everyone has to slowly adapt to a big physical change in someone close to them. In that sense, I guess Star Trek succeeded in hitting the right emotional strings in me over an issue I directly face, even if it wasn't entirely intentional--I'm sure that's something that would make the writers happy regardless.
Old November 25 2012, 02:11 PM   #8
M
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
It also must have been uncomfortable for Sisko to mate with mirror universe Jadzia, as implied in "Through the Looking Glass".
That's actually one of my biggest pet-peeves with this episodes and the show in general. I don't get why the writers thought it would be okay for them just to have sex without at least addressing the fact that it must be really uncomfortable for Sisko. Drives me crazy that they are presenting it as such a casual thing.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:21 AM   #9
paviya
Cadet

Nice sharing
paviya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 07:23 PM   #10
Pavonis
Commodore

M wrote: View Post
It also must have been uncomfortable for Sisko to mate with mirror universe Jadzia, as implied in "Through the Looking Glass".
That's actually one of my biggest pet-peeves with this episodes and the show in general. I don't get why the writers thought it would be okay for them just to have sex without at least addressing the fact that it must be really uncomfortable for Sisko. Drives me crazy that they are presenting it as such a casual thing.
Maybe they didn't address it because it wasn't uncomfortable for Sisko to have sex with mirror Jadzia. Why would he be uncomfortable? He was undercover, and she's not his Jadzia.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
M wrote: View Post
Maybe they didn't address it because it wasn't uncomfortable for Sisko to have sex with mirror Jadzia. Why would he be uncomfortable? He was undercover, and she's not his Jadzia.
Yea and regarding her being a Dax or not, I got te impression he did get a strange look when calling her Dax, which left me believing she wasn't carrying the Dax symbiote, she was just plain old Jadzia

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 10:03 PM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Also non-canon: I believe the recent mirror universe continuity has Curzon still alive and the most recent Dax host, until...

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote