Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 22 2012, 09:38 PM   #721
propita
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

the G-man wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
At some point, will the herds in Atlanta--or any city--ever leave? ....
The herd that attacked the farm started in Atlanta and then moved out into the country
My bad--I meant ALL the herds in Atlanta. While there may be some survivors, the number of zombies would make survival iffy. Which increases the chances of supplies.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 10:39 AM   #722
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Zombies are attracted to noise. You'd think somebody would set up some speakers, a CD player and a generator on a hill outside the city and lure them all away and then go in and stock up.

PKerr wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I don't think Walking Dead has specifically dealt with the issue of water. In World War Z, zombies who ended up in the water somehow would just float on the currents until they reached land and then continue their zombie existence. So an island would be safer than the mainland, but there would always be the danger of a random zombie washing up.
I think it would be pretty far odds that a zombie could ever make it to an island via currents.

1. I think the salt water would corrode their dead flesh before they got that far.

2. Any type of storm combined with the salt water and sun would batter or bloat a dead body apart.
At some point they would probably bloat to the point of popping and then just sink.

3. Sharks and fish would eat or peck at them until there was nothing left of them.

4. Lastly I think the odds of making it from point "A" to "B' would be pretty astronomical.
Probably. But that's what happened in World War Z.

jbny67 wrote: View Post
Reading the above posts reminded me of this scene from an Italian zombie movie.
I don't know what the original movie title was but, for overseas release, it was given the highly original title "Zombie"
Well, that was a different sort of zombie encounter.
Old November 23 2012, 12:53 PM   #723
FreezeC77
Commodore

I actually thought that's what the helicopter was doing and it was going to be 'herding' the zombie herds by leading them to giant trenches or off of a cliff. If you dug out some really deep and long trenches and then used noise to draw a herd towards them you could just collect them that way and then just burn the bodies.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 02:45 PM   #724
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
That's not very fair. He had a gun trained on Merle the entire time for all those same reasons.

Glenn didn't instantly and cold-bloodedly blow Merle away — therefore he's a born sucker and he was asking for it?

I see.

You don't do shades of gray, do you?
Shades of gray are not universal--particularly when the subject (Merle) has never proved he is anything other than violent and vindictive. Glenn--or anyone else in the original Atlanta group--does not know of another side to the man, so it would not be logical to expect the next encounter to be civil. Who would forget Merle cut his own hand off?

Would you expect a happy reunion, after the way the original situation ended? Again, Merle himself admitted there was bad blood (only promising to let it go if taken to Daryl), so Glenn was being hopelessly naive, and is now paying the price.

I think few would disagree that Rick's reaction to a new encounter with Merle would be far different, much like his immediate reaction to the inmate's attempt to kill him.

In a world where zombies are far from the only enemy, when established bad and/or violent conflicts occur, only a fool would think an old enemy was somehow reformed.
Old November 23 2012, 03:27 PM   #725
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
It doesn't really matter though. Regardless of where the characters go -- an island, an underground bunker, a space station on the moon -- they won't be safe. If they were, there wouldn't be any point to the show.
George Romero's most recent zombie film (Survival of the Dead) was set on an island. In that film, the only threat of zombies action came from one group keeping transformed people active and locked up, instead of killing them at the moment of death. However, unlike the mainland, there was no threat of an entire country's worth of zombies possibly crossing borders, cities, etc., to eventually find hidden survivors--the island provided a the ultimate sense of security, until a person died, but one person is easy to handle. A million is a different problem.
Old November 23 2012, 03:44 PM   #726
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

You are probably correct, but, you're jumping to conclusions that Glen has never seen another side to Meryl. Meryl was a member of the Atlanta group before we came along, we have no idea what he was like in camp before the roof incident.

As far as Rick having a far different reaction, I don't think Rick would've shot him straight off, I believe he would've given Meryl a chance to make a threatening move before killing him (Which is what Glen did, but, Glen was unlucky/not as much of a stud as Rick)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 03:47 PM   #727
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
It doesn't really matter though. Regardless of where the characters go -- an island, an underground bunker, a space station on the moon -- they won't be safe. If they were, there wouldn't be any point to the show.
George Romero's most recent zombie film (Survival of the Dead) was set on an island. In that film, the only threat of zombies action came from one group keeping transformed people active and locked up, instead of killing them at the moment of death. However, unlike the mainland, there was no threat of an entire country's worth of zombies possibly crossing borders, cities, etc., to eventually find hidden survivors--the island provided a the ultimate sense of security, until a person died, but one person is easy to handle. A million is a different problem.
However Land of the Dead, had Zombies walking across the bottom of the Bay to get to the "Safe Zone"

Old November 23 2012, 03:49 PM   #728
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Merle would be totally pissed at everyone in this thread who keeps referring to him as a female ("Meryl").
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 03:53 PM   #729
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Merle would be totally pissed at everyone in this thread who keeps referring to him as a female ("Meryl").
Oops, blame it on Daryl's spelling

Old November 23 2012, 05:17 PM   #730
the G-man
Commodore

Actually, that's why he's so mean. It's like a Boy Named Sue
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 05:48 PM   #731
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
That entire last post was superfluous in the face of me already agreeing to the idea. Good work on keeping up.
You mean the post where I was referring to the two opinions expressed by EmoBorg and G-Man and didn't even come close to mentioning your name whatsoever?

Yeah, good work on keeping up.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 05:51 PM   #732
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
And that just proves my point. A zombie movie is going to have the threat of zombies no matter what the situation it is, else it isn't a zombie movie.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 07:44 PM   #733
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
You are probably correct, but, you're jumping to conclusions that Glen has never seen another side to Meryl. Meryl was a member of the Atlanta group before we came along, we have no idea what he was like in camp before the roof incident.

As far as Rick having a far different reaction, I don't think Rick would've shot him straight off, I believe he would've given Meryl a chance to make a threatening move before killing him (Which is what Glen did, but, Glen was unlucky/not as much of a stud as Rick)
I think it would have been a far different reaction if he wasn't Daryl's brother as well. Almost no one has relatives anymore. I don't think the group would have just killed any of the survivors relatives witout hesitation.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 11:42 PM   #734
Morpheus 02
Commodore

wissaboo wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

I think it would have been a far different reaction if he wasn't Daryl's brother as well. Almost no one has relatives anymore. I don't think the group would have just killed any of the survivors relatives witout hesitation.

let's not forget a couple of things:

1) Darryl has love for his brother -- certainly such that he was ready to go right back into the city to look for Merle.

2) Glenn can NOT keep a secret. The truth about killing Merle would have come out eventually. And it would have been an intense mess once Darryl would have found out that Merle was killed.

Was Merle that much worse that Carol's husband?

And Glenn's personal intercation with Merle might not have been that bad...for all we know, it was Glenn who chose Merle to be part of the team that went in to get supplies.

I think what happened was consistent with Glenn's character..i'll know he'll be hurt, but i think he'll survive Woodbury. If not -- i will be VERY sad!
Morpheus 02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 01:24 AM   #735
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander

We have seen what happens to zombies when they're stuck in water for prolonged periods of time. There was one that had been trapped in a well on Herschell's farm for quite some time. He was pretty gross, but still a threat once they got him out.

What is the point to the show? The Endgame as it may be? Voyager got to Earth, Galactica got to Earth (and some livable planet with genetically compatible natives), Clark became Superman. How can this show end?
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote