Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 22 2012, 02:48 AM   #31
BruntFCA
Commander

Re: Most unjustly hated episode

R. Star wrote: View Post
BruntFCA wrote: View Post
Rivals-I love this episode but many people seem to think its one of the worst DS9 episodes.
Really? I always liked that one. Silly, but entertaining to watch the pissing matches between Quark and that El Aurian and O'Brien and Bahsir.
Yeah it shows up all the time on worst episode lists and I really can't understand why, I mean other notoriously bad episodes like "Turnabout Intruder", "Genesis", "Move Along Home" and "A Night in Sickbay" I understand the hate even though I like them but "Rivals" I just don't get.
Old November 22 2012, 03:06 AM   #32
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Easily "The Royale," which while just plain cheap, scifi cheese, is still fun to watch two decades later.
Old November 22 2012, 03:08 AM   #33
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Ethros wrote: View Post
Is The Royale hated? I love that episode, I remember finding it pretty creepy as a kid

I'd probably say A Night In Sickbay, I found the way people went mental about it pretty laughable. I could hardly even remember it from the first run of the show, and I caught it again a couple of years ago on a rerun and was like "so what?"
I get why people don't like it; but I always have appreciated the portrait of Archer as a man who did love his dog. And seeing how and why he got Porthos made it [the episode] passable for me.
Old November 22 2012, 03:55 AM   #34
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Can't say I'm a fan of Rivals but it doesn't stand out to me as a particularly bad episode. Not when season seven has about six "Everybody is obsessed with a 1960s crooner holodeck recreation" episodes and a baseball episode.

Neither does Genesis. It's one of those 'Pure scifi' episodes that I think Star Trek does better than most other scifi shows even if they are interchangeable.

Also Fury. Yeah, it doesn't make sense time-travel-wise, but what time travel episode does?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 03:59 AM   #35
Gov Kodos
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Is The Royale hated? I love that episode, I remember finding it pretty creepy as a kid

I'd probably say A Night In Sickbay, I found the way people went mental about it pretty laughable. I could hardly even remember it from the first run of the show, and I caught it again a couple of years ago on a rerun and was like "so what?"
I get why people don't like it; but I always have appreciated the portrait of Archer as a man who did love his dog. And seeing how and why he got Porthos made it [the episode] passable for me.
Take away the diplomatic crisis and trouble to the ship as a result and the episode is a great character piece for Archer. By making the dog's illness be circumscribed by a mission threat Archer looks more a fool than anything else. It's a shame they didn't just have it be in the wake of a routine away mission, so Archer didn't seem a fool.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 04:26 AM   #36
sonak
Vice Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

is it really a major character revelation for Archer that he loved his dog? That hardly seems worth an entire episode to me that otherwise is an exercise in character assassination. IMHO, of course. YMMV. ROTFL. LOL. TTFN. MMXII.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 04:31 AM   #37
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I really like "Children of Eden". That episode amuses me to no end.

"I am not Herbert."
DS9 CapCon #99: Major Pain for Quark
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 06:40 AM   #38
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

^I love that episode, it's hilarious!

"gonna clap my hands and jump for joy, got a clean bill of health from Dr. McCoy"

(Oh and it's The Way to Eden )

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 07:12 AM   #39
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

We reach.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 08:58 AM   #40
ialfan
Fleet Captain

These Are the Voyages...

I actually enjoy it - albeit in light of the revelations of 'The Good That Men Do'.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 11:18 AM   #41
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Not when season seven has about six "Everybody is obsessed with a 1960s crooner holodeck recreation" episodes and ...
I read of a general dislike of the Vic Fontaine holo-character, and Vic's lounge, with more than a few fans on this board. While admittedly not my kind of music, I found the whole Vic Fontaine experience to be nice. For the DS9 crew to spend time in Vic's lounge (or play a single baseball game) during a war, is no different than the Enterprise's crew going to ten forward during a war when they'd be off shift.

That said, I personally didn't care for Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang, but not because of Vic Fontaine.

Last edited by T'Girl; November 22 2012 at 11:46 AM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 10:49 PM   #42
Mrs Q
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have to agree with other posters and say The Royale. It's one of my favourite ever episodes of TNG. I don't know why it's considered bad.
Mrs Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 11:03 PM   #43
M
Vice Admiral

I'm with most people who mentioned episodes like "The Way to Eden", "Spectre of A Gun, ""The Royale" and "Move Along Home". I love most of those and while I'm certainly able to see why some could dislike them, I always enjoy rewatching them.

Another "episode" that is somewhat unjustly hated, I think, is "Shades of Gray", which – as clip shows go – isn't nearly as horrendous as most people are making it out to be.

Not an episode, but personally I will never ever get the hate directed at Keiko and her marriage with Miles O'Brien. The distaste so many people around here feel for their story is something I just cannot grasp, as I love them both and find their relationship to be the most realistic of the whole franchise.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 01:15 AM   #44
Harvey
Admiral

I think "Masks" and "Genesis" receive too much hate. They're high concept ideas that are well-executed (the former gets to show off some terrific production design and art direction; the latter is a show case of some great make-up effects).

I'm stumped as to what value "Shades of Grey" might have, though. The framing story is clunky, and the use of flashbacks are padding, not insightful. At least (most of) the clip shows on Stargate SG-1 used their framing stories to push the series forward and develop the characters, even if the use of clips was still padding to reach 42 minutes on a shortened schedule.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 01:30 AM   #45
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
I think "Masks" and "Genesis" receive too much hate. They're high concept ideas that are well-executed (the former gets to show off some terrific production design and art direction; the latter is a show case of some great make-up effects).

I'm stumped as to what value "Shades of Grey" might have, though. The framing story is clunky, and the use of flashbacks are padding, not insightful. At least (most of) the clip shows on Stargate SG-1 used their framing stories to push the series forward and develop the characters, even if the use of clips was still padding to reach 42 minutes on a shortened schedule.
Nobody ever did funnier clip shows than XENA . . ..