Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: How excited are you that I'm here?
W00t!! Let's get this party started! 191 69.96%
I'm ok with it, I'll live. 58 21.25%
Meh. 18 6.59%
BOO!! GO AWAY!!! 6 2.20%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 12 2012, 03:56 PM   #751
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Ah, that seems to be another variant. So far, I've only seen this version of the brohoof: /) with the answer being the other way around.
Old November 12 2012, 04:22 PM   #752
Awesonne
Ensign

Oh, I see. Saw it a couple of times on /mlp/ then started using it. Well, (\, then.
BMO: "That is an interesting response. Battery low. Shutdown."
Awesonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 06:47 PM   #753
Eat-Da-Tribble
Ensign

View Eat-Da-Tribble's Twitter Profile

Hello. Glad to be here. Before, I would like to apologize for my English, it's not very good.
I'm a trek fan since I was... well in the early '80s, when I was I child. I'm a huge TOS and TNG follower, and love DS9 too. Now, I'm currently into trek literature and writing some fanfic (but not in English)
And I love Spot.
Eat-Da-Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 09:00 PM   #754
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

Hi to everyone who joined over the last week while I was on holiday! Hope you're enjoying being here.
Old November 14 2012, 12:09 AM   #755
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Awesonne wrote: View Post
Oh, I see. Saw it a couple of times on /mlp/ then started using it. Well, (\, then.
If you're a fan we have a discussion thread for every new episode in Sci-Fi & Fantasy and a general Brony thread in The Neutral Zone (it's a hidden forum on here which is largely unmoderated, you have to opt in in your User CP to see it).

And hello, Eat-Da-Tribble. I became a fan at the same point and age as you, it seems.
Old November 17 2012, 08:04 PM   #756
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

Hey forum!

I'm a ditzy geek in her mid-twenties. I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and all of the then available films. I remember hopping into the show around the fifth season, and I completely ate it up. Wesley was, ironically, one of the reasons I loved the show, and only because I wanted to be like him (not for attractiveness purposes--I mean, not that he isn't attractive, but I'm not really attracted to men).

Oddly enough, the one film that I latched onto more than any of them was The Motion Picture. I had a recording of the extended television version on VHS and would watch it constantly, to the extent that I memorized the commercial breaks as well as the dialogue from the film (yeah, I boldly went there). The scope and epicness of the first film blew me away, enough to override any lethargy in the pacing. It always disappointed me when the TNG films kind of went Hollywood with the explosions and villains, and then the new 2009 film seemed to be all about flash and bang with a perhaps overly complicated weirdo sci-fi plot. But I still enjoyed it. I enjoy all of them. I'm a goddamned trekkie.

Anyway, there's my ramble.

*gets off soapbox*
Minuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 08:13 PM   #757
slackbladder
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Minuet wrote: View Post
Hey forum!

I'm a ditzy geek in her mid-twenties. I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and all of the then available films. I remember hopping into the show around the fifth season, and I completely ate it up. Wesley was, ironically, one of the reasons I loved the show, and only because I wanted to be like him (not for attractiveness purposes--I mean, not that he isn't attractive, but I'm not really attracted to men).

Oddly enough, the one film that I latched onto more than any of them was The Motion Picture. I had a recording of the extended television version on VHS and would watch it constantly, to the extent that I memorized the commercial breaks as well as the dialogue from the film (yeah, I boldly went there). The scope and epicness of the first film blew me away, enough to override any lethargy in the pacing. It always disappointed me when the TNG films kind of went Hollywood with the explosions and villains, and then the new 2009 film seemed to be all about flash and bang with a perhaps overly complicated weirdo sci-fi plot. But I still enjoyed it. I enjoy all of them. I'm a goddamned trekkie.

Anyway, there's my ramble.

*gets off soapbox*
me too.
slackbladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 03:44 PM   #758
Felidae
Lieutenant

Hey all, just posted a bit of an intro in the Red Shirt Lounge but only now seeing this. So hello!
I also grew up watching the Next Generation, with mom.. dad never liked Trek so we used to tape the episodes and watch them on sundays. Still have a great love for TNG, but two other favs are Voyager (how do you guys shorter that??) and ENT. Hated ENT at first, was so not Star Trek! But after a while the characters grew on me and I loved that it was not so "clean" as the other Treks.

A while back mom and me watched all ENT episodes, followed by all TNG ones, and we only just finished Voyager.. so now, I think I might still start watching DS9.. Didn't much like Sisko, and I really dont like Ferengi. Odo however and Dax, great characters!

Eh, dunno what else to post here except once again that I'm off to explore the rest of the forum.
Felidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 09:25 AM   #759
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

Felidae wrote: View Post
Hey all, just posted a bit of an intro in the Red Shirt Lounge but only now seeing this. So hello!
I also grew up watching the Next Generation, with mom.. dad never liked Trek so we used to tape the episodes and watch them on sundays. Still have a great love for TNG, but two other favs are Voyager (how do you guys shorter that??) and ENT. Hated ENT at first, was so not Star Trek! But after a while the characters grew on me and I loved that it was not so "clean" as the other Treks.

A while back mom and me watched all ENT episodes, followed by all TNG ones, and we only just finished Voyager.. so now, I think I might still start watching DS9.. Didn't much like Sisko, and I really dont like Ferengi. Odo however and Dax, great characters!

Eh, dunno what else to post here except once again that I'm off to explore the rest of the forum.
I also didn't like Enterprise at first, but it grew on me. The latter two seasons are the best. Voyager had its ups and downs, the downs being way too far down in quality, while the ups were merely pretty good.

Please watch DS9, you'll love it.
Old November 22 2012, 06:09 PM   #760
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Happy Burned Replicated Bird Meat Day!

New but not new, as I've forgotten my old handle and email used when I was here years ago (Enterprise was still on).

I started watching Star Trek in 1966, when I was in high school, and have enjoyed all the series and films through the years (though I've missed a few DS9 and ENT episodes).

I chose the "Melakon" handle because I knew of Skip Homeier's work before he appeared in TOS.

(for some reason, my first attempt to post in this thread timed out, so trying again)
Dr. Sevrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 06:51 PM   #761
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Oooh, so many new (or not so new) people. Welcome, everyone. I hope you'll enjoy your stay.
Old November 28 2012, 04:22 PM   #762
st.barthgirl
Lieutenant

Hey all,
st.barthgirl here...

So glad i found you!

I've been re-watching all things Star Trek recently, this time by theme, instead of by show/movie~ accompanied by the online Wiki.

My brain bubbles with ideas, questions, reactions.

Very Grateful to know there are like minded folks out there who might be inclined to Not Think i'm Nuts, and who might be willing to toss around some thoughts.

A lady never tells her age , but i can tell you that i'm recently moved to RuralVille, USA: No Cell Phones {really}, Quite Bucolic, Perennially Peaceful, Definitely a Culture Shock. And i come with a dog: Harper, a truly Lovely, Joyful 4 yr Old Akita.

Hello...
st.barthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:07 PM   #763
Count Zero
Decidedly something

By theme? That sounds like an interesting idea. How does that work?
Old November 28 2012, 08:34 PM   #764
st.barthgirl
Lieutenant

Hey, Count. Thanks for the Welcome.

Theme? Not sure if it's exactly the right word.

i wanted to develop a fuller understanding of Klingon/Federation relations- so i read the Wiki on the History, then started Chronologically By Star date watching the episodes in the various series (except TAS) , Undiscovered country, then series again...( i'm still in DS9 following Worf's journey) that centered on the Klingons- the high council, Worf's relationship the high council, etc.

Geo-politics isn't really my 'thing'- so Uni/multi-versal Politics is even more difficult for me to grasp. A Themed Rewatch helps to Put it all together for me.

A Query, if i might: Would anyone happen to know why the Memory Alpha Wiki is written in the Past Tense~ as in: The Klingons were a Warrior Race- rather than in the Present tense? I'm new to the Wiki and to Fan sites. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...
st.barthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 10:45 PM   #765
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I think most of their in-universe articles are written in past tense, if not all. I'm not sure why - maybe because the story has already been aired/published.