Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 22 2012, 06:11 PM   #5446
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

The expansion of the universe with the other Lantern Corps is, in my opinion, one of the best things that ever happened to Green Lantern. We've gotten loads of great new stories with an army of interesting new characters.
Old November 22 2012, 06:35 PM   #5447
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
The expansion of the universe with the other Lantern Corps is, in my opinion, one of the best things that ever happened to Green Lantern. We've gotten loads of great new stories with an army of interesting new characters.
I know lots of people think that. I'm not one of them. I was happy when only Sinestro had a yellow ring and only Star Sapphire had a purple one. To me, having armies of beings with rainbow colored rings is just so much, "Hey, let's just have armadas of green lanterns fighting each other for fifteen years and just use different colors to disguise our utter lack of imagination." I don't care how good some of the individual stories are. The overall premise just comes off as lazy.

I get that I'm in the minority in that opinion, but knowing that isn't going to change my mind anytime soon.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 07:04 PM   #5448
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Looks like your problems are more due to simple nostalgia than any actual problems with what they did with the colored lantern corps.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 07:35 PM   #5449
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Looks like your problems are more due to simple nostalgia than any actual problems with what they did with the colored lantern corps.
Fine. We'll go with that.

Still not changing my mind on this....

Old November 22 2012, 08:50 PM   #5450
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
The overall premise just comes off as lazy.
Sure, that's why it took somebody sixty years to think of it.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 11:08 PM   #5451
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I guess I can see how the Rainbow Corps could look narratively lazy, although it it also heavily allegorical: all those emotions fighting through avatars. What I think makes it work is that it speaks to historical process: a new weapon always gets either countered or copied. I don't see why the Green Lantern ring would be an exception.
Old November 23 2012, 01:14 AM   #5452
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
The overall premise just comes off as lazy.
Sure, that's why it took somebody sixty years to think of it.
Oh, right. I forgot. I'm supposed think an idea is brilliant just because everybody else does. Thanks for reminding me.
Derishton wrote: View Post
I guess I can see how the Rainbow Corps could look narratively lazy, although it it also heavily allegorical: all those emotions fighting through avatars. What I think makes it work is that it speaks to historical process: a new weapon always gets either countered or copied. I don't see why the Green Lantern ring would be an exception.
The exception is the rings were originally not powered by emotion but by a short list of very powerful people: The Guardians, The Zamarons and the Qwardians, which means copies that don't receive power from them should be nothing more than really chintzy jewelry. The Rainbow Lantern Coalition storyline changed all that.

It's also evidence of the GL writers running into the same problem Supes's writers did: how do you come up with an enemy challenging enough? The solution was Lantern Color War. There's nothing remotely groundbreaking about that concept.

Old November 23 2012, 02:39 AM   #5453
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Wow. No one has said that you have to like what Johns has done in "Green Lantern", they have been disagreeing with you, not forcing you to change your mind or whatever.

Besides which I thought we were originally talking about "Aquaman" in the first place? I get having problems with his GL work. I don't like what he's done since basically the end of "Blackest Night".

"Aquaman" is something totally separate though and he has done an exceptional job with it. He is a huge Mera fan, and it shows in his work. That has extended to Arthur now and he seems to be having a fun time.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:59 AM   #5454
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Catwoman: I.... I... I'm actually not sure what I read here.

Old November 26 2012, 05:10 AM   #5455
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Catwoman: I.... I... I'm actually not sure what I read here.

Agreed completely. That issue was just bizarre. Granted, I haven't been reading the book and only picked it up because of the crossover, but it just made very little sense, and had a Joker characterization the likes of which I've never seen before.
Old November 26 2012, 07:29 AM   #5456
Agent Richard07
Retired

What happened in Catwoman?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 09:43 AM   #5457
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I dropped "Catwoman" after the first issue (and not because of the "controversy") I just disliked the writing and the art and it isn't really the direction I thought they would take Selina in at all.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 09:51 AM   #5458
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i dropped Catwoman after the Night of Owls thing.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:25 PM   #5459
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
What happened in Catwoman?
Joker kidnaps Catwoman and just does crazy things to her while pontificating about nonsense. (And not even the usual general insanity nonsense he usually goes on about.) He takes her to the stock Abandoned Amusement Park and puts her in one of those barrel rides (you know, the ones that pin you on the wall using centripetal force and then lower the floor) but he's supercharged it supposedly to the point where it'll liquefy her. It doesn't though, he apparently stops it after it's shredded her clothes off (sans underwear) and she passes out.

When she comes to he rambles on about bullshit some more and offers her a new uniform. this one laced with a paralytic or something in it that causes her to be unable to move so he sort of treats her like a doll... or something. Eventually he gives her the antidote and offers to spare Batman's life if she marries him (Batman) she refuses. He pretty much says, "Meh, wattayagonnado?" and leaves, again taunting her a bit with the death of her friend in an earlier storyline.

It was overall just... odd. I mean you expect some level of insanity with The Joker, sure, but this was just out there, man. And it wasn't even for fan-service or anything it was almost out of character or something.

Last edited by Trekker4747; November 27 2012 at 04:08 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:43 PM   #5460
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

The mistake of editorial continuing to give assignments to the Harras Gang (Nocenti/DeFalco/Lobdell).
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote