RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,157
Posts: 5,344,140
Members: 24,600
Currently online: 732
Newest member: Lord Galen

TrekToday headlines

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 19 2012, 09:09 PM   #1
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain
 
FrontierTrek's Avatar
 
Location: TrekCore.com
View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

Hi all,

Here's Part 1 of the David Goodman interview we ran for Federation: The First 150 Years.

Enjoy!

http://www.trekcore.com/merchandise/...odmanint1.html
__________________
www.TrekCore.com :: The Net's LARGEST Trek Multimedia Site
Over 450,000 Trek DVD & Blu-Ray Caps from EVERY episode/movie!
FrontierTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 09:49 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

David Goodman wrote:
it was so important to me as a fan that if I was reading this book, I wouldn’t read something that would bug me because it so blatantly contradicted something that I remembered from an episode. I was very much driven to write something that obeyed everything
Sounds good!
I don’t really accept the Temporal Cold War as definitive history.
Dislike.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 10:13 PM   #3
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain
 
CaptainDonovin's Avatar
 
Location: Minnesota
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
David Goodman wrote:
it was so important to me as a fan that if I was reading this book, I wouldn’t read something that would bug me because it so blatantly contradicted something that I remembered from an episode. I was very much driven to write something that obeyed everything
Sounds good!
I don’t really accept the Temporal Cold War as definitive history.
Dislike.
Not a fan of that one either. Too each his/her/hir/s/he's own but seems to me the TCW & the Xindi attack were key moments in the 10 years leading up to the formation of the Federation, mostly for Earth but a key moment none the less.
__________________
Long live DS9!
CaptainDonovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 12:30 PM   #4
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

Exactly. If I'm gonna buy an official Trek history, I expect it to be true to that history. The minute you start saying, "Well that bit of Trek doesn't count" (in this case, the entire first three seasons and first 2 episodes of the fourth season of Enterprise!), you're very much NOT being true to canon Trek. It's a variation of the old "Enterprise is an alternate universe blah blah" thing.

The novels do a masterful job of making it seem as though everything in TV/film Trek "happened" They tie it all together and for the most part hide the seams really well. If this project can't do the same, I might as well read these fan manuals instead, which essentially are the same but ignore the entirety of Enterprise and use a mishmash pre-TOS history from the old Spaceflight Chronology and old Treknical fanzines instead.

Of course, I may be overreacting somewhat. Hopefully he just meant that the TCW wouldn't have been common knowledge, or known to the books' in-universe writer, or something.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

Well, I can see how there could be two schools of thought. Some fans believe that ENT is kind of like ST'09, in that it's a history created when time travellers from the Prime universe came back and interfered in events. Others, myself included, believe that ENT was always intended to represent the origins of the Prime timeline itself, to set up the events of TOS and the later series -- so that the "unaltered" future Daniels came back from was not, in fact, the Prime future of the Federation, but some slightly different version thereof. (Slightly different in that Archer managed to keep the temporal meddling from diverting the course of history too much.)

And the cool thing about Trek tie-ins is that they've never been required to limit themselves to a single uniform continuity, but have been free to tell different versions of the same historical event like Kirk's first mission as Enterprise captain or the origin of the Borg or what-have-you. Different fans are always going to have different beliefs and expectations about certain major events, and any given version is bound to satisfy some fans and displease others. Which is the value of having more than one version available.

And that's why I haven't felt any need to coordinate my Rise of the Federation novel -- which is part of the extant Pocket novel continuity -- with what Goodman has done in his book. I (along with my fellow novelists) am offering one conjectural version of the Federation's early history, and he's offering another, and the differences should be interesting and should offer fans a wider perspective than a single unified version.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Chicago, IL
View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, I can see how there could be two schools of thought. Some fans believe that ENT is kind of like ST'09, in that it's a history created when time travellers from the Prime universe came back and interfered in events. Others, myself included, believe that ENT was always intended to represent the origins of the Prime timeline itself, to set up the events of TOS and the later series -- so that the "unaltered" future Daniels came back from was not, in fact, the Prime future of the Federation, but some slightly different version thereof. (Slightly different in that Archer managed to keep the temporal meddling from diverting the course of history too much.)

And the cool thing about Trek tie-ins is that they've never been required to limit themselves to a single uniform continuity, but have been free to tell different versions of the same historical event like Kirk's first mission as Enterprise captain or the origin of the Borg or what-have-you. Different fans are always going to have different beliefs and expectations about certain major events, and any given version is bound to satisfy some fans and displease others. Which is the value of having more than one version available.

And that's why I haven't felt any need to coordinate my Rise of the Federation novel -- which is part of the extant Pocket novel continuity -- with what Goodman has done in his book. I (along with my fellow novelists) am offering one conjectural version of the Federation's early history, and he's offering another, and the differences should be interesting and should offer fans a wider perspective than a single unified version.

I was curious about this myself. Since this is covering similar ground are you going to use any of this as reference? One of the things that i've liked about your books thus far is that they've managed to weave in interesting details from a broad ranger of Trek sources over the years including other novels.
__________________
Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
I was curious about this myself. Since this is covering similar ground are you going to use any of this as reference? One of the things that i've liked about your books thus far is that they've managed to weave in interesting details from a broad ranger of Trek sources over the years including other novels.
As I said, no, at least not in this book. The previews we've gotten already show that Goodman is interpreting the Romulan War differently than the prior novels did, and my book is in the same continuity as those novels. So they're distinct approaches going in. My point in my previous post is that there's nothing wrong with that. Continuity among tie-ins is nice, but I think fans today have lost sight of how worthwhile it can also be to have multiple different versions of a given event. As I said, that way, fans who aren't crazy about one version might enjoy another one better. My version is meant to fit into the ongoing novelverse, while Goodman's is meant to stand on its own and be accessible to those who've only seen the shows and films.

Also, the timing simply hasn't worked out. I haven't had the opportunity to read Goodman's book yet (it's from a different publisher, remember), and I'm two and a half weeks from my deadline.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Behind the mask of Donald Draper
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

I did not have a problem with his answer on the Temporal Cold War. You would expect that Starfleet would have kept its knowledge of it classified. This is an in universe history. Makes sense it would be the type of history told in a class room.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain
 
FrontierTrek's Avatar
 
Location: TrekCore.com
View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

Part 2 of my interview with David is up!
http://www.trekcore.com/merchandise/...odmanint2.html
__________________
www.TrekCore.com :: The Net's LARGEST Trek Multimedia Site
Over 450,000 Trek DVD & Blu-Ray Caps from EVERY episode/movie!
FrontierTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 03:12 AM   #10
DavidAGoodman
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Exactly. If I'm gonna buy an official Trek history, I expect it to be true to that history. The minute you start saying, "Well that bit of Trek doesn't count" (in this case, the entire first three seasons and first 2 episodes of the fourth season of Enterprise!), you're very much NOT being true to canon Trek. It's a variation of the old "Enterprise is an alternate universe blah blah" thing.

The novels do a masterful job of making it seem as though everything in TV/film Trek "happened" They tie it all together and for the most part hide the seams really well. If this project can't do the same, I might as well read these fan manuals instead, which essentially are the same but ignore the entirety of Enterprise and use a mishmash pre-TOS history from the old Spaceflight Chronology and old Treknical fanzines instead.

Of course, I may be overreacting somewhat. Hopefully he just meant that the TCW wouldn't have been common knowledge, or known to the books' in-universe writer, or something.
I agree with you, I didn't cherry pick what I liked and what I didn't so I didn't disregard the TCW - it's in the book, but given the fact that when the book is supposed to have been written (2311) we wouldn't have the full accounting of it because it won't be until the 31st Century that we would know what it is really about. Looking at my quote, what I meant to say (and didn't) was that there's no definitive answer on what it is, so I didn't spend a lot of time on it.
DavidAGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Behind the mask of Donald Draper
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

Even though I really don't have the money for this right now, I really want to buy it anyways. Everything about this sounds fantastic.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 11:30 AM   #12
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

DavidAGoodman wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Exactly. If I'm gonna buy an official Trek history, I expect it to be true to that history. The minute you start saying, "Well that bit of Trek doesn't count" (in this case, the entire first three seasons and first 2 episodes of the fourth season of Enterprise!), you're very much NOT being true to canon Trek. It's a variation of the old "Enterprise is an alternate universe blah blah" thing.

The novels do a masterful job of making it seem as though everything in TV/film Trek "happened" They tie it all together and for the most part hide the seams really well. If this project can't do the same, I might as well read these fan manuals instead, which essentially are the same but ignore the entirety of Enterprise and use a mishmash pre-TOS history from the old Spaceflight Chronology and old Treknical fanzines instead.

Of course, I may be overreacting somewhat. Hopefully he just meant that the TCW wouldn't have been common knowledge, or known to the books' in-universe writer, or something.
I agree with you, I didn't cherry pick what I liked and what I didn't so I didn't disregard the TCW - it's in the book, but given the fact that when the book is supposed to have been written (2311) we wouldn't have the full accounting of it because it won't be until the 31st Century that we would know what it is really about. Looking at my quote, what I meant to say (and didn't) was that there's no definitive answer on what it is, so I didn't spend a lot of time on it.
Excellent! I'm very glad to hear that. Thank you for replying and clarifying!
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Federation: First 150 Years - David Goodman Interview

DavidAGoodman wrote: View Post
there's no definitive answer on what it is, so I didn't spend a lot of time on it.
Sounds good to me. Since the TCW suggests multiple possibilities anyway, seems fine to me that the mystery remains partly mysterious.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.