The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 19 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
newtontomato539
Commander

What do you want to see in DS9 Remastered?

I want to see more runabouts, more of the Defiant's shuttlebay, more Trills, Andorians, Tellarites, Trials and Tribblelations: exterior shots of the Enterprise and D7 entering warp; add shots from The Trouble with Tribbles Remastered and add new shots period.

Last edited by newtontomato539; November 19 2012 at 06:01 PM.
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 04:16 PM   #2
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: What do you want to see in DS9 Remastered?

At the bare minimum:
-Fix the godawful saturation and contrast that the VHS masters had
-TNG S1 level reworking of the model made VFX
-Some more ship variety in the DS9 fleet battle scenes (but keep the iconic shots, like that Miranda rolling into the camera in Sacrifice of Angels)
-Fix the Bellerophon's and second Defiant's registry numbers
-Less stock footage in the finale
Old November 19 2012, 07:07 PM   #3
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I wouldn't expect CBS to make new footage or edit episodes.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 07:15 PM   #4
MacLeod
Admiral

^For the CGI elements they might have to because more than likely they were rendered for SD not HD.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Photon
Commodore

My juvenile answer:

Jadzia
Kira
Ezri

naked...got that out of the way.

Let the serious answers continue
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 01:51 AM   #6
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I don't want any "new" stuff that isn't justified. (Things that were done in error the first time are fair game.) As with TNG, I mostly just want the show the way it was. Except I hope that when it comes time to recreate CG shots:

That the Defiant model is a better match for the physical one than it was originally.
That they do not copy/paste stocks shots as they were forced to do originally.

And I don't think a director's cut of "To The Death" is out of the question. As for other episodes, I'd just be happy to see some deleted scenes in the extras.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

Is a DS9 remaster even nearly as marketable as TNG Remastered? DS9 already looks pretty okay, at least as far as special effects are concerned. TNG benefits way more from the special treatment, and of course it was the more popular series, so there's more of a profit for Paramount.
Minuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Tosk
Rear Admiral

DS9 currently has the exact same lo-res video transfers that TNG had. It will benefit from a remastering every bit as much as TNG has.
Old November 21 2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Terran
Ensign

Does anyone else see a purple tint occasionally on the DVD release? I am begging for them to release this on BluRay, but I do have my doubts that it would be profitable enough for them. Although saying that, the Trek community is a loyal one, maybe fan based sales would be enough to make it plausible?
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 05:41 PM   #10
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Terran wrote: View Post
Does anyone else see a purple tint occasionally on the DVD release? I am begging for them to release this on BluRay, but I do have my doubts that it would be profitable enough for them. Although saying that, the Trek community is a loyal one, maybe fan based sales would be enough to make it plausible?
Not really, although the last time I rewatched some DS9, I picked a season 7 episode. The purple tint sounds a lot like whatever happened to the TNG S1 masters.
Old November 21 2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Relayer1
Commodore

There's bound to be a DS9 Bluray release. Most of it was filmed - even the FX for the first few years, so it's suitable, although the last few (2 ?) seasons will need new FX to replace the lo-res CGI. Or so I heard... Costly, but less so than Voyager which is apparently stuffed as it's all CG'd and would need a complete do-over.

Trek series have to keep being reissued to keep earning money - it's just that the less popular shows don't have the sales to make it worth it until costs drop. That's why Enterprise has leapfrogged the other shows - it's already pretty much ready for Bluray already so despite it's lack of popularity, it's cheapness makes it worthwhile releasing next.
Old November 21 2012, 06:15 PM   #12
Death of Rats
Commodore

in my opinion there was too much about the Dominion war. I'd like that edited to a shorter story arc and a few open ends led to a decent conclusion. For example, a few episodes about Kai Opaka in exile would have been interesting, particularly with Kai Winn as a counterpart. Or if/how the shapeshifters managed to survive their disease (and why didn't Odo get infected?). What happened to the prophets? They surely didn't appreciate a war right in front of their door. Did Lwaxana and Odo stay in contact?
Hmm.. just had an idea: imagine an epi with Lwaxana and Mooghie as a team! They could easily take on the whole quadrant and make a good profit (and a lot of fun)

There are a zillion other questions that never got answered.
Old November 21 2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
in my opinion there was too much about the Dominion war. I'd like that edited to a shorter story arc and a few open ends led to a decent conclusion. For example, a few episodes about Kai Opaka in exile would have been interesting, particularly with Kai Winn as a counterpart. Or if/how the shapeshifters managed to survive their disease (and why didn't Odo get infected?). What happened to the prophets? They surely didn't appreciate a war right in front of their door. Did Lwaxana and Odo stay in contact?
Hmm.. just had an idea: imagine an epi with Lwaxana and Mooghie as a team! They could easily take on the whole quadrant and make a good profit (and a lot of fun)

There are a zillion other questions that never got answered.
Huh? What do you mean if/how the Founders got cured and why didn't Odo get infected? Odo was infected by Section 31, and passed it onto the rest of them. Then he was cured when Miles and Bashir entered Sloane's mind. In the Finale he cured The Female Founder and then went back to the link to cure the rest of them.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Death of Rats
Commodore

ah, must have missed that one. Thanks, Sindatur
But that leads us to another gap I'd like to be filled:

how did Section 31 discover/develop the desease in the first place? It would require at least one changeling for researching their physiology and they could easily have used that "guinea-pig" to infect the Great Link instead of infecting Odo at the off-chance that he might one day go back to his people and infect them.
And when Odo was cured, why didn't he cure the orther Founders immediately? They'd have owed him then and the whole Dominion War could have been ended then and there.
Old November 22 2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Tosk
Rear Admiral

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, that really has nothing to do with this thread. (As in, there is zero chance of them changing the story content.)