Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 22 2012, 03:21 AM   #1
Candlelight
Admiral

A reminder about the 'end of the world' in December...

Just in case anyone hadn't seen this and were still getting their tin foil hats ready.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...world-science/

Despite past looting, the interior of the newfound room is nearly perfectly preserved.
Among the artworks on the three intact walls is a detailed orange painting of a man wearing white disks on his head and chest—likely the scribe himself, said Saturno, who received funding from the National Geographic Society's Committee for Research and Exploration and Expeditions Council. (National Geographic News is a division of the Society.)
Holding a paintbrush, the scribe is reaching out to the blue-feather-bedecked king, whose elaborate likeness was hidden behind a curtain attached to the wall by human bone, according to the study, published this week in the journal Science.
But what was really interesting was what the team found next.
Working with epigrapher David Stuart and archaeologist and artist Heather Hurst, the researchers noticed several barely visible hieroglyphic texts, painted and etched along the east and north walls of the room.
One is a lunar table, and the other is a "ring number"—something previously known only from much later Maya books, where it was used as part of a backward calculation in establishing a base date for planetary cycles. Nearby is a sequence of numbered intervals corresponding to key calendrical and planetary cycles.
The calculations include dates some 7,000 years in the future, adding to evidence against the idea that the Maya thought the world would end in 2012—a modern myth inspired by an ancient calendar that depicts time starting over this year. (Related pictures: "2012 Doomsday Myths Debunked.")
"We keep looking for endings," expedition leader Saturno said in a statement. "The Maya were looking for a guarantee that nothing would change. It's an entirely different mindset."
Though the idea of cyclical time is nothing new in Maya studies, team member Rossi added, the Xultún mural is by far the earliest known expression of the concept.
For example, he said while pointing to the ring number, "this is something we don't see again for over 500 years."
So I'll see everyone in the 22nd of December as normal.
Old November 22 2012, 03:26 AM   #2
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

Re: A reminder about the 'end of the world' in December...

People thinking the world will end in 2012 because of the Mayan calendar must also think the world will end every year on December 31st, too.
Old November 22 2012, 04:31 AM   #3
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

I'm sorry. I just don't have time for the end of the world right now.
Old November 22 2012, 05:45 AM   #4
billcosby
Commodore

The word ends every year and begins anew. They should just starting printing it on calendars.

Here's a question... whatever happened to those people (idiots) who sold all their shit and quit their jobs and relocated their families because some jackass religious leader told them to a couple of years ago? That was some gut-wrenching stuff and also raised the bar forever for people just generally being supermorons. I mean, it's high comedy that some well-to-do adults did that but to royally fuck up their children's lives based on dogmatic idealistic nonsense is sad beyond words.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 06:55 AM   #5
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

A hippie told me the other day that it is not the end, it's a cosmic shift in our consciousness. Which sounds exhausting.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
People thinking the world will end in 2012 because of the Mayan calendar must also think the world will end every year on December 31st, too.
Good point!
Plus: neither the Mayas nor Revelation mention fog in connection with the end of the world. So as long as we have this dreadful weather, we'll be absolutely safe
In Bavaria, we're having a drizzly fog/foggy drizzle for almost 2 weeks now - looks like we're an especially safe place. (But then we are anyway, as rumours state Bavaria was made of the bits god had left when he created paradise. So we're not really a part of Earth, technically, and hence won't have an Armageddon.)
Old November 22 2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Avon
Fleet Captain

can't believe anyones dumb enough to go for this 'end of the world' bullshit nowadays. but they still exist, and statistically they're most likely to be americans. which isn't a surprise.

no offense to the many sane, intelligent americans out there, but your country seems to have a surplus of foolishness.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Without meaning to offend the Americans, I wholeheartedly agree. Just think of all these creationists, for example. I'm a biologist - my job is to watch evolution at work. Creationism being actually taught at schools makes me want to scream.
At a time where it has been confirmed that even the universe has its borders, it seems that human stupidity is the only absolutely infinite item.
Old November 22 2012, 08:16 AM   #9
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Americans do seem more end times obsessed. Even the Rapture is an American invention and the vocal churches there seem to focus far more on their being an end time, Revelations, judgement etc.. than churches in Australia or the UK.

Of course the Americans have also come up with lots of great science fiction so maybe this predisposition has its advantages.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Candlelight
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Americans do seem more end times obsessed. Even the Rapture is an American invention and the vocal churches there seem to focus far more on their being an end time, Revelations, judgement etc.. than churches in Australia or the UK.
It's a way of controlling the masses. Be good and you'll survive the end of days.

Same goes for Christmas, be good or Santa won't come.
Old November 22 2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

hmm, is Santa even political correct, nowadays? An old overweight Kaukasian male, dressed in ancient costume with fur trimmings who has kids sit on his lap and gives them sweets - the true miracle of Christmas is that neither African Americans nor Hispanics, Asians or Native Americans, animal rights activists and child protection officials, dentists and healthcare services haven't tried to abolish him yet. Not to mention the women's rights front and the non-christian religious groups in the US.
Old November 22 2012, 12:57 PM   #12
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I remember thinking the world was ending whilst watching the movie 2012, if only because it was so godawful
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma

What, you mean the world's NOT going to end on my 30th birthday? (And yes, 21 Dec 2012 IS my 30th birthday.)
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 02:45 PM   #14
Saul
Rear Admiral

My Calendar is faulty. It goes up to the 31st. Silly calender.
Old November 22 2012, 03:17 PM   #15
ITL
Vice Admiral

I'm ready for the Apocralypse. But only if it involves robots, zombies, ninjas or alien lizard infiltrators.