TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 6 2012, 03:19 AM   #226
JD
Admiral

Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Doing what they did with Coulson reflects a real lack of vision.
I see what you did there.
Old November 6 2012, 03:22 AM   #227
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Third Rule:
If the actor is dead, they'll probably get recast when they're brought back to life.
"Probably"? I know plastic surgery in Hollywood can be extreme, but I don't think they've figured out how to resurrect the dead quite yet.

But when they do, my money's on Joan Rivers.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 03:39 AM   #228
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Fury gives Coulson an injection of the Infinity Formula. Coulson survives. Next.
Old November 6 2012, 04:43 AM   #229
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Kaijima wrote: View Post
My own notion for the Coulson controversy would be: Coulson comes back with no explanation. Everyone is confused, but knows better than to inquire too far into Fury's machinations if it's above their pay grade.

Then eventually it's revealed that Coulson is really a Life Model Decoy, and is treated basically as a disposable agent. Perhaps Coulson is the first prototype LMD, patterned after one of SHIELD's most successful agents. "Coulson" dies (is destroyed) repeatedly, as a kind of grim mockery of the real man who died on the helicarrier. Leaving everyone aghast at just how cold Fury can be.

It's the kind of dark thing Whedon would enjoy, I suspect.
Reminds me of...

With the henchmen getting crunched repeatedly...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 02:38 PM   #230
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Abominable Dr. Horrible wrote: View Post
So Coulson would die in each episode, I like it.
I like it. Each episode we see Coulson horribly and brutally wounded and is last seen on death's doorstep. But then the next episode he's in perfect health and everyone's just like "'sup Phil?"
Old November 6 2012, 07:25 PM   #231
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

As long as he makes it through the Christmas special intact.
Old November 14 2012, 03:42 AM   #232
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

More casting news...
Old November 21 2012, 08:06 PM   #233
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Heck, I was surprised when Coulson didn't turn up alive at the end of The Avengers. Not only was it blatantly telegraphed by having the death off-camera, but I figured that Whedon was deliberately subverting the fans' expectations about Whedon killing off fan-favorite characters, that he was playing into that assumption in order to fake us out by having it turn out to be a ploy of Fury's..
They could have simply had him eating some shwarma at the end and not added any explanation. I would have been fine with that.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 03:36 AM   #234
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

arch101 wrote: View Post
I could see RD Jr doing a cameo appearance as Stark. I don't think he'd be above a TV appearance to help the larger franchise. No IM, just one or two Stark scenes.
Totally agree. I don't think either actor would see it "below" him to appear on TV.

If they really wanted to make it easy/cheap, I could imagine them recycling movie footage of the actors (on a video screen even) and just having SLJ or RDJ do simple voice overs would do the trick.
Old November 22 2012, 07:50 AM   #235
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Kaijima wrote: View Post
My own notion for the Coulson controversy would be: Coulson comes back with no explanation. Everyone is confused, but knows better than to inquire too far into Fury's machinations if it's above their pay grade.

Then eventually it's revealed that Coulson is really a Life Model Decoy, and is treated basically as a disposable agent. Perhaps Coulson is the first prototype LMD, patterned after one of SHIELD's most successful agents. "Coulson" dies (is destroyed) repeatedly, as a kind of grim mockery of the real man who died on the helicarrier.
How do we know the guy on the helicarrier wasn't an LMD?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 05:43 PM   #236
FreezeC77
Commodore

God Magnus wrote: View Post
arch101 wrote: View Post
I could see RD Jr doing a cameo appearance as Stark. I don't think he'd be above a TV appearance to help the larger franchise. No IM, just one or two Stark scenes.
Totally agree. I don't think either actor would see it "below" him to appear on TV.

If they really wanted to make it easy/cheap, I could imagine them recycling movie footage of the actors (on a video screen even) and just having SLJ or RDJ do simple voice overs would do the trick.

I think it would also be a way to 'promote' an upcoming marvel movie if they then had a character from that movie in an episode of S.H.I.E.L.D in some capacity around the time the movie is coming out.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 09:48 PM   #237
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ That was the reasoning behind Leonard Nimoy's appearance on TNG-- strategically aired mere weeks before the release of Star Trek 6.
Old November 23 2012, 03:15 PM   #238
The Wormhole
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
^ That was the reasoning behind Leonard Nimoy's appearance on TNG-- strategically aired mere weeks before the release of Star Trek 6.
That and to celebrate Trek's 25th anniversary.
Old November 23 2012, 08:02 PM   #239
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Complete with vague reference to the events of the film.
Old November 28 2012, 03:12 AM   #240
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

More casting news.