Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 21 2012, 07:41 PM   #376
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

cbspock wrote: View Post
22 Stars wrote: View Post
Cbspock, you bring up a good point and fun challenge. This could be looked at as a 'toolkit' to go and make your own, or recreate any Trek score using a tool like itunes.
In the audio interview posted a view pages back, they mentioned that they actually went back and retracked all the episodes to make sure they had all the right cues. They used the laser discs of TOS to compare it to.

-Chris
It's true. Those laserdiscs - of the entire series - are still sitting on a shelf behind my couch.
Old November 21 2012, 07:48 PM   #377
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I had some of the episodes on laser. Now I only have the 2 DVD sets, and the blu set.

-Chris
Old November 21 2012, 07:52 PM   #378
22 Stars
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I remember there was this one time back in the '80s where I put together my own version of a tracked ST episode score by recording different cues from the various LPs onto my cassette deck -- not trying to replicate an existing tracked episode score, but trying to concoct one of my own for a hypothetical episode. I don't think I had any specific story or scenes in mind; I was just trying to convey the impression of a story progression, experimenting with the process of how a music editor might create a tracked score. (I don't have the tape anymore, however.)

I suppose with this set, one could do that same kind of creative exercise much more authentically, since you'd have the same full repertoire of original tracks that TOS's music editors would've had to work with. Maybe one could assemble playlists to accompany one's TOS novels or comics.

However, I think my personal preference now is just to hear the cues and scores as they were originally written, and not mix and match different composers, different themes. Heck, it was my preference then; my experiment was as much about exploring the process as hearing the result. And these days, with modern tools for constructing "playlists," the process would just be too easy to interest me much.
Sounds like great fun, and reminds me of projects I did with the first home computers, painting images one pixel at a time to reproduce iconic Trek images. Hopefully someone will have fun with this set in much the same way as we did.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 07:57 PM   #379
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I have wanted a set like this since the first TOS trek albums came out. I think TOS's soundtracks are right up there with the iconic Star Wars soundtracks. TNG, DS9 and VOY... not so much. None of them had any memorable cues, except maybe for the episode Booby Trap and Inner Light.

-Chris
Old November 21 2012, 08:01 PM   #380
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Cbspock, you bring up a good point and fun challenge. This could be looked at as a 'toolkit' to go and make your own, or recreate any Trek score using a tool like itunes.
In the audio interview posted a view pages back, they mentioned that they actually went back and retracked all the episodes to make sure they had all the right cues. They used the laser discs of TOS to compare it to.

-Chris
I only used the laser discs to compare with the scored episodes, never a tracked one. I did watch tracked episodes (on Netflix) while taking a break, but only because I wanted to watch Trek but not the ones I was working on. I had to stop though because it made me crazy because I got paranoid about having every cue. It's how I found the brief percussion overlay in Journey to Babel that we talk about.

Doubleohfive, thanks for letting me store those LDs there. Now that the discs are being produced I guess I don't need them anymore. I'll return them soon.

Neil
Old November 21 2012, 08:04 PM   #381
cbspock
Rear Admiral

What was your favorite and/or most surprising find while you were going through the tapes? What cue were you just dying to find???

-Chris
Old November 21 2012, 08:06 PM   #382
Christopher
Writer

Sounds like great fun, and reminds me of projects I did with the first home computers, painting images one pixel at a time to reproduce iconic Trek images.
In high school in the '80s, my chemistry teacher had a poster on his wall that was a 1973 "computer transcription image" of Mr. Spock printed by the Princeton University Computer Center, made up entirely of alphanumeric symbols printed out onto the paper -- with the darker bits being made of multiple letters/numbers/symbols typed on top of each other, something you couldn't do with ASCII text art today. He let me have it when I graduated and I still have it today, though the paper's very yellowed and brittle now and I damaged it a bit just taking it out of the tube to look at it. (EDIT: And a big split just formed in the paper when I tried to roll it up and put it back in the tube. Rats.)

I found the image online at this page:

http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ASCII/

Turns out what I have is just the top left quadrant of the full image.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 08:08 PM   #383
cbspock
Rear Admiral

The musically derived sound effects, I can't wait to hear them. Have you ever seen the Ben Burtt(sp) sound documentary on the Trek 2009 bluray? He felt a lot of the sounds on the series were musical by nature. The button sounds, etc. He tried to do the same with the reboot.

-Chris
Old November 21 2012, 08:10 PM   #384
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sounds like great fun, and reminds me of projects I did with the first home computers, painting images one pixel at a time to reproduce iconic Trek images.
In high school in the '80s, my chemistry teacher had a poster on his wall that was a 1973 "computer transcription image" of Mr. Spock printed by the Princeton University Computer Center, made up entirely of alphanumeric symbols printed out onto the paper -- with the darker bits being made of multiple letters/numbers/symbols typed on top of each other, something you couldn't do with ASCII text art today. He let me have it when I graduated and I still have it today, though the paper's very yellowed and brittle now and I damaged it a bit just taking it out of the tube to look at it.

I found the image online at this page:

http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ASCII/

Turns out what I have is just the top left quadrant of the full image.
Nice!! I had one of the Enterprise that someone made out of ASCII characters. We had old DEC printer terminals in High School back in the 80s. The good ole days..lol

Today, fan made images look even better than the effects stills sometimes..lol

-Chris
Old November 21 2012, 08:11 PM   #385
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

I think it would be a fun exercise to see if I can recreate a tracked, or partially tracked episode or two as a playlist. It's what you would do for a fan film, and for a TOS fanfilm, it would really fit perfectly.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 08:14 PM   #386
cbspock
Rear Admiral

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
I think it would be a fun exercise to see if I can recreate a tracked, or partially tracked episode or two as a playlist. It's what you would do for a fan film, and for a TOS fanfilm, it would really fit perfectly.
The Phase 2 guys are going to love this set for their films

-Chris
Old November 21 2012, 08:27 PM   #387
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

-Chris
It's true. Those laserdiscs - of the entire series - are still sitting on a shelf behind my couch.
The laserdiscs are the last respositories of the original series sound mix, so they would be the most accurate to reference. Even so, they're not perfect - just miles more authentic than the DVDs and BDs. I still prefer to watch the lasers over the other versions.
Old November 21 2012, 08:56 PM   #388
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

SEASON 2, DISC 2

Amok Time
Music Composed and Conducted by Gerald Fried
Episode #34, Recorded 7/19/67
Aired #30, 9/15/67

1. Main Title* (soprano version, enhanced stereo; arr./cond. Courage) 1:01
2. Enterprise/Prying M11/M12 0:47
3. Episode Title*/Mr. Spock/Log* M13/M14/M14A 1:59
4. Deep Thought*/Contrary Order/Prognosis/The Big Question/Message From T’Pring M15/M16–20/M16–20A/M21/M22/M23 5:01
5. Vulcan Biology/Pon Farr M24/M24A 3:44
6. More Soup* M26–30B 1:51
7. T’Pring M32 0:53
8. Vulcan M33 1:03
9. Processional M34–40 1:36
10. The Challenge M41 3:01
11. War Sash M42 0:43
12. Ritual/To the Death M43/M44 1:54
13. The Ancient Combat/2nd Kroykah M51/M52/M52A 5:09
14. Remorse/Vulcan Logic/Marriage Counseling M53–60/M53–60A/M53–60B 2:48
15. Resignation*/Lazarus Returned/Pig’s Eye* M61/M62/M63 0:44

Total Time: 32:46

*Contains “Theme From Star Trek (TV Series)” by Alexander Courage and Gene Roddenberry

The Doomsday Machine
Music Composed and Conducted by Sol Kaplan
Episode #35, Recorded 8/30/67
Aired #35, 10/20/67

16. Approach of the Enterprise*/Distress Signal/The Ship Search*/The Constellation M11/M12/M13/M13A 2:05
17. The Dead Ship*/Going Aboard M14/M15 2:00
18. Commodore Matt Decker/The Crew That Was M16–20/M21 1:59
19. What Is a Doomsday Machine?/The Planet Killer* M22/M23 2:02
20. Gaining Speed*/The Strange Beam* M24/M25–30 0:53
21. No Casualties*/Decker Takes Over M31/M32 2:41
22. The New Commander*/The Approaching Killer* M33/M33A 1:38
23. Light Beams*/Tractor Beam M34–40/M41 3:27
24. Violent Shakes* M42+M42A 2:45
25. Spock Takes Command/Decker’s Foil/The Sneaky Commodore* M43/M51/M51A 2:44
26. Goodbye M. Decker* M52/M52A 3:04
27. Condolences*/Power Drain* M53/M61 1:11
28. Kirk Does It Again* M62 3:45
29. One’s Enough* M63 0:24
30. End Title* (soprano version, enhanced stereo; arr./cond. Courage) 0:47

Total Time: 31:51

Total Disc Time: 64:45

*Contains “Theme From Star Trek (TV Series)” by Alexander Courage and Gene Roddenberry

Neil
Old November 21 2012, 09:11 PM   #389
Christopher
Writer

Okay, so 2/2 contains the same two episodes on GNP's Volume 2, albeit in the opposite order. Previously unreleased cues are:

"Amok Time"
Enterprise
Episode Title
Log
Deep Thought
Prognosis/The Big Question/Message From T’Pring
Vulcan Biology/Pon Farr
More Soup (maybe -- see note)
War Sash
To the Death
Vulcan Logic

"The Doomsday Machine"
Distress Signal/The Ship Search
The Dead Ship
Gaining Speed
No Casualties
The Approaching Killer

There are a lot of discrepancies and typos on the GNP disc. The "Amok Time" program there opens with a 16-second cue called "Vulcan Fanfare" that isn't in the episode, a brash arrangement of the Courage fanfare that's definitely in Fried's brassy style of orchestration. I'm guessing this will be on Disc 5 with the library and unused cues. There's also a cue called "Marriage Council" between "T'Pring" and "Vulcan," which is distinct from the "Marriage Counseling" cue here, which is labeled as "Marriage Council II" on the CD. The "Marriage Council" cue has the same runtime as "More Soup," so it might be the same one.

Other title errors on the GNP:
"Processional" is "The Processional"
"The Ancient Combat" is "Ancient Battle"
"Approach of the Enterprise" is "Approach of Enterprise"
"Commodore Matt Decker" is "Commander Matt Decker"
"What is a Doomsday Machine?" is "What is Doomsday Machine"
"The Strange Beam" is "Strange Boom"
"The Sneaky Commodore" is "Sneaky Commodore"
"Goodbye M. Decker" is "Goodbye Mr. Decker"

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 10:51 PM   #390
KirkPicard
Captain

My best friend and I would enact our own extemporaneous episodes in the basement, backyard, or my room. In each area, I would set up my battery powered boombox with the Trek music (all on cassette), any scores released to that point, to include all the GNP releases, Label X, and Varese Sarabande scores and the then incomplete movie scores (I-VII) and play out those cues to punctuate what we were imagining. For those cues that were unavailable, such as the recent sample from Catspaw, "Mace Fight", Enemy Within music, and all the other unreleased scores I would attempt to record from TV or later from the discrete audio tracks when the 2 episode DVDs were released for our use. Such a dream come true to finally have the COMPLETE tracks, library cues, and the musically created sound effects. I not only look forward to hearing these tracks in the clear but also reading and savoring the massively researched booklet authored by Jeff Bond. Used to cull his Music of Trek book for all the TOS cues, their names, and the episodes in which they were heard and read all the interviews with the original composers for insight into their timeless work. Again, much gratitude to all who contributed and enjoyed listening to the interview on the way to work this morning.