Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 21 2012, 06:03 PM   #31
Data Holmes
Admiral

Re: Sayings that you hate now

auntiehill wrote: View Post
"BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!"

Anyone who has ever dealt with kids has probably said this at some point, or at least heard it when they were kids. I try very hard not to say it to my nieces and nephew because it's a total BS line.
I hated that one, and the truncated "because" or "just because". Then again, my favorite question was "why?" so I got this on from a lot of adults.

I hated kids and people who over use the word "like" in place of "um" in their pauses in speech. We had one girl in my grade talk like that from around third till tenth grade. Like was like every other word. It was like a total pain in the like ass to like listen to her like ramble on like that.
Old November 21 2012, 06:19 PM   #32
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I hate the "everything happens for a reason" line, too. What bullshit.
Old November 21 2012, 06:38 PM   #33
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I hate the "everything happens for a reason" line, too. What bullshit.
That tends to go along with lines like "you shouldn't go against nature." It's ultimately a superstitious point-of-view that there is a way things "ought to be" and we shouldn't mess with or question it.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 06:49 PM   #34
XFozzboute
Commander

View XFozzboute's Twitter Profile

I hate "Love conquers All" and " Violence never solved anything."
Old November 21 2012, 06:51 PM   #35
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Anyone who cites "The Universe." The Universe is not interested in you. It will not give you things if you wish for them. If you "put it out into the universe" nobody cares. I know you want to believe in magic or god without looking like you believe in magic or god, but you just sound like an obnoxious hippie.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 07:09 PM   #36
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I have always hated "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
(cue crappy-ass pop song)
I call BULLSHIT. What doesn't kill you leaves you scarred and limping; don't try to sell it like it's a good thing.
I agree with you as far as the physical aspects are concerned. However, mentally/emotionally that saying is true. I got bullied as a kid (my parents were teachers so the kids bullied me for being evil's offspring and the teachers buillied me so that nobody could say they treated teacher kids better). As an adult, I was badly bullied as well and even suffered a depression. As my job is rather dangerous plus requires me to drive a lot, I couldn't take any medication (it influences your reaction time) and had to get over the depression with tons of chocolate and long chats with my friends.
It's true, I got a few scars (and a few lbs ) and I am perhaps more touchy than most, but on the whole it left me a very much stronger personality. To my utter surprise my dad told me the other day he always admired how I deal with every problem without help (while my brother is just the opposite). I was really speechless. I'd never thought my dad accepted me, let alone admire me.
Old November 21 2012, 07:15 PM   #37
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I think it is true for some and untrue for others. Emotional trauma can be as devastating as physical trauma. I think that in many ways, emotional trauma I have suffered has made me stronger, some of it has weakened me, though, and added nothing to my character.

View my art!
Old November 21 2012, 07:25 PM   #38
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
"Stop complaining, there are people in worse situation than yours."

Grrrr... there are, so what?! If I have a broken leg and someone else had two broken legs, my broken leg doesn't hurt me any less just because someone has two broken legs!
Exactly!

All that does is tell the person who is hurting that you don't care about their pain or think it's "good enough."

My most hated saying is, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Wrong.

Sometimes, it's the things people say to you that hurt even worse than a physical injury because you have to live with them forever.
Old November 21 2012, 07:27 PM   #39
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Jim Gamma wrote: View Post
"Because you need it." <- the explanation given to me when I used to ask why I had to have extra time on exams at primary school or use a laptop to type instead of writing, etc. (It turned out to be because I have crap eyesight. I only discovered the full reason for this when I had to sign a form saying I had the syndrome that causes my multisensory impairment at age 18, and hadn't even heard of it...)
Wow...that's pretty bad for your parents not to inform you at a proper age (much younger than 18, for sure!) and let you be a real partner in your own accommodations!
Old November 21 2012, 08:06 PM   #40
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
"Everything happens for a reason."

Well, yeah, everything has a cause. But most people who say this mean that there's some deliberate purpose for this thing to have happened, like the universe did it deliberately, and therefore this horrendous thing is somehow good for you. Grrrrr.
I was just about to post this one.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 08:24 PM   #41
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I have always hated "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
(cue crappy-ass pop song)
I call BULLSHIT. What doesn't kill you leaves you scarred and limping; don't try to sell it like it's a good thing. It's people trying to make suffering sound like a good thing and it's not. That's why we call it "suffering" and not "fun." If I get hit by a truck or get cancer, that doesn't make me stronger. It weakens me physically and maybe even mentally or emotionally. If I survive it, then good for me but don't sell me the "see how strong you are now?" bullshit.

Just acknowledge that I suffered and say, "Gee, that happened to you? That really sucks," because, yeah, it does.
Amen! You may discover how strong you already were, or, like you said, you may just get weaker.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 08:26 PM   #42
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I always hated platitudes like, “You can do anything if you set your mind to it,” and the corollary, “If you haven’t succeeded, you haven’t tried hard enough. There is no such thing as lack of ability or lack of opportunity, only lack of character.”
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 08:32 PM   #43
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
"Everything happens for a reason."

Well, yeah, everything has a cause. But most people who say this mean that there's some deliberate purpose for this thing to have happened, like the universe did it deliberately, and therefore this horrendous thing is somehow good for you. Grrrrr.
I was just about to post this one.
I think it is much more accurate to say that good can be brought out of bad situations in spite of the evil that has been done, not because of it as though those evil things are right or justified. The means do not justify the ends.

I think that one can exploit even bad circumstances and should try to do so where possible, to bring about better things. It doesn't make the bad circumstances okay.
Old November 21 2012, 08:34 PM   #44
Kestra
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Anyone who cites "The Universe." The Universe is not interested in you. It will not give you things if you wish for them. If you "put it out into the universe" nobody cares. I know you want to believe in magic or god without looking like you believe in magic or god, but you just sound like an obnoxious hippie.
I like universe stuff but I also believe in god.
Old November 21 2012, 08:41 PM   #45
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Hippie!

View my art!