Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 21 2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma
Re: Sayings that you hate now

"Because you need it." <- the explanation given to me when I used to ask why I had to have extra time on exams at primary school or use a laptop to type instead of writing, etc. (It turned out to be because I have crap eyesight. I only discovered the full reason for this when I had to sign a form saying I had the syndrome that causes my multisensory impairment at age 18, and hadn't even heard of it...)
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Another one I hate: "life isn't fair". Not the saying itself, but the situations in which it's used. So often I hear it agressively applied to a context that's entirely within the purview of human society, where there's every reason why things can and should be fair, and every reason why things should be arranged so that deprivation and struggle are minimized.

If someone complains because lightning struck a tree and it fell on their car by saying "it's not fair!", then by all means point out "life isn't fair", because it isn't. The natural world doesn't and simply cannot run on the basis of fairness, however we're defining it. If they suffer deprivation or struggle because of uncontrollable natural events, and wind up the only one who suffers such due to unfortunate luck, then, yes, their complaining is pointless and "life's not fair" is a valid response. But when someone's been inconvenienced by a social system that could easily be more cooperative, supportive and, well, fair-minded, it seems both distasteful and dishonest to apply "life's not fair" as though the person in question were whining about something that Simply Is.

Basically, it annoys me when people confuse the way the universe works with the way society works and act as if the second is as inevitable and unchallengable as the former.

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; November 21 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 03:39 PM   #18
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

"Double down" and variations. This bit of gambling jargon slipped into the American political lexicon this year and seemed to be used in almost every single news article about our elections. So-and-so "doubled down" on such-and-such. Please, make it stop. Fortunately, the election is over so I'm not seeing that phrase anymore. Perhaps it has gone the way of the term "political football."

"That's unnatural." Usually used to denigrate people that the speaker doesn't like, such as gay folks. So is wearing synthetic fibers, eating processed food, and taking pharmaceutical medications. But you don't hear people shouting from the rooftops about all that, do you? Something being "unnatural" only seems to matter when pushing a moralistic agenda on others.

My mother's favorite: "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out." The emptiest of empty threats!
Old November 21 2012, 03:51 PM   #19
macghoul
I believe most sincerely

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macghoul

Just thought of another one: "Giving 110%". I'm terrible at math, yet this saying makes me twitch. I'd hate to see what it does to actual mathematicians.
Old November 21 2012, 03:54 PM   #20
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

"Everything happens for a reason."

Well, yeah, everything has a cause. But most people who say this mean that there's some deliberate purpose for this thing to have happened, like the universe did it deliberately, and therefore this horrendous thing is somehow good for you. Grrrrr.

And, related to that...

"God never gives us more than we can handle."

Oh yeah? Aside from the questionable theology... If it were true, there'd be a lot less alcohol abuse, fewer suicides, and less work for psychotherapists.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 03:55 PM   #21
Ood Sigma
Commander

I've got two that are bugging me at the moment: "I know, right?" and "I'm not going to lie, ..." Both phrases drive me up the wall. It's probably because I've mostly heard them used in an arrogant context.

Bonus: Internet posts consisting of the single word "This." If you have nothing new to add, why bother posting? Or if you absolutely have to point out your agreement, why not say "I agree with you."?
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 03:58 PM   #22
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Ood Sigma wrote: View Post
I've got two that are bugging me at the moment: "I know, right?" and "I'm not going to lie, ..." Both phrases drive me up the wall. It's probably because I've mostly heard them used in an arrogant context.

Bonus: Internet posts consisting of the single word "This." If you have nothing new to add, why bother posting? Or if you absolutely have to point out your agreement, why not say "I agree with you."?
This.

(Sorry. )
Old November 21 2012, 04:02 PM   #23
Ood Sigma
Commander

^ I'm not going to lie, I was absolutely 110% positive that someone would do that.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 04:09 PM   #24
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

^ I'm not going to lie, I was absolutely 110% positive that someone would do that.
Old November 21 2012, 04:19 PM   #25
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

What can I say? YOLO!
Old November 21 2012, 04:28 PM   #26
macghoul
I believe most sincerely

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macghoul

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
"God never gives us more than we can handle."

Oh yeah? Aside from the questionable theology... If it were true, there'd be a lot less alcohol abuse, fewer suicides, and less work for psychotherapists.
Oh, man, I HATE this one. It's so incredibly patronising. More often than not the person spewing this nonsense has no idea what the intended recipient is going through.
Old November 21 2012, 04:51 PM   #27
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
"Stop complaining, there are people in worse situation than yours."

Grrrr... there are, so what?! If I have a broken leg and someone else had two broken legs, my broken leg doesn't hurt me any less just because someone has two broken legs!
Yeah I hate that. At the end of the day whatever your situation you can guarentee someone, somwhere, will have it worse...like you say, this doesn't really help you!
I also dislike that one. Especially because it often seems to imply an accusation of selfishness, as though by discussing your own suffering you're somehow discounting other people's - when you're doing no such thing, and instead it's the person saying this who's discounting yours.
And when it's accompanied by its best friend "It will/is going to be OK, you'll see"... Oh, that could put me into a murderous mood. 1. You can't know that for sure; 2. It's not OK now; 3. Can you give me the date so that I know how long I am going to wait?; 4. And until then, shall I sit on the stairs and wait? (lovely, especially when your situation is serious, like lack of a job, or difficult housing situation, or debts, etc.)

It never cheered my up; it always made me feel me and my problems are being dismissed and not taken seriously.
Old November 21 2012, 05:23 PM   #28
B.J.
Rear Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
"BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!"

Anyone who has ever dealt with kids has probably said this at some point, or at least heard it when they were kids. I try very hard not to say it to my nieces and nephew because it's a total BS line.
I'll admit that my wife and I have said this on occasion. Sometimes they get you so frustrated that it's all you can say. Other times it's because you don't want to give the real reason because it's an inappropriate subject or something. And occasionally, you just don't know!
Old November 21 2012, 05:42 PM   #29
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

"no smoke without fire"
Apart from the fact that apparently the person who coined that phrase never forgot a bunch of cookies in the oven it's also incredibly unfair as it implies rumours are always true. They aren't! And forgetting that can cause so much harm!

A close friend of mine was libeled badly on a message board: he was supposed to meet with a girl he had met online and at the last minute she got cold feet and decided to take the very next flight home again. She didn't tell my friend, though. He had no idea why she didn't turn up, got worried and had her be paged at the airport. So they finally met after all, talked and left quite amicably.
Later, however, she spread the rumour that he had attacked her and she'd had to call the airport security. Some fools believed it and my friend got banned by the board administration. He registered under a different name to defend himself and immediately got banned again. After a few rounds of this he was so furious that he started trolling wherever he could. Not really surprising.
8 years after the incident the girl finally admitted to the libel but it was too late: my friend has a bad rep, suffers from persecution mania (he received death threats from board members!) and cathegorically refuses to post anywhere. A big loss as he was a rather interesting poster.

And all of this because a few people believed in this "no smoke without fire" nonsense. It makes me so furiuous!!
Old November 21 2012, 05:55 PM   #30
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

I have always hated "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
(cue crappy-ass pop song)
I call BULLSHIT. What doesn't kill you leaves you scarred and limping; don't try to sell it like it's a good thing. It's people trying to make suffering sound like a good thing and it's not. That's why we call it "suffering" and not "fun." If I get hit by a truck or get cancer, that doesn't make me stronger. It weakens me physically and maybe even mentally or emotionally. If I survive it, then good for me but don't sell me the "see how strong you are now?" bullshit.

Just acknowledge that I suffered and say, "Gee, that happened to you? That really sucks," because, yeah, it does.