RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 459
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 7 2012, 10:20 PM   #61
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Was Star Trek 11 too similar to Star Wars?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Trust me, humour doesn't catch on very well in this forum.
Well, I laughed at his suggestions. Is that enough humor?
Old November 7 2012, 10:28 PM   #62
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Thought if I used hyperbole in my post people would see it was meant to be funny.
Trust me, humour doesn't catch on very well in this forum.
At least not when it's from someone with weird obsessions about zeros in starship registry numbers.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 02:24 AM   #63
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Whatever happened to that guy?
Old November 8 2012, 02:41 AM   #64
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
Lightsabers tend to cauterize wounds.
Pish! Not originally.
Tell that to Luke "I didn't bleed to death" Skywalker.
Old November 8 2012, 02:58 AM   #65
The Wormhole
Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
Lightsabers tend to cauterize wounds.
Pish! Not originally.
Tell that to Luke "I didn't bleed to death" Skywalker.
I think the "not originally" refers Walrus Man or whatever the EU named him in ANH, where you can see blood leaking out of his arm after Obi-Wan sliced it off.
Old November 8 2012, 03:52 AM   #66
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

That still leaves room for partial cauterization.
Old November 8 2012, 03:59 AM   #67
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Yeah, there may have been spurting prior to the cauterization sealing stuff up.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 05:23 AM   #68
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Ben had his lightsaber set on rare.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 03:12 AM   #69
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

It's too similar to SW in terms of vibe and pace and loudness, for my tastes. In fact, it is faster paced than SW, isn't it. Hyperkinetic is a word I recall.

But if you like it, cool.

And I like much of SW, btw.
Old November 9 2012, 03:46 AM   #70
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

We will never see long table meetings again.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 05:35 AM   #71
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post

Just wait till Star Trek comes back to TV, as a new C-Span series. We'll long for the days of Star Warsification.

And Walrus man comes from a race of hemophiliacs. Mystery...SOLVED!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 10:56 AM   #72
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post

Hey, you can get all your long table meeting urges fulfilled by Trek fan films! They cannot get enough of them.

Meanwhile I'll be over here enjoying crazy action sequences.
Old November 21 2012, 04:14 PM   #73
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well what the heck, I may as well chime in with my opinion...

Just to get it out of the way... when one steals ideas from another it's plagiarism, when they steal from many it's research. Yes, Abrams stole ideas. But let's face it, there hasn't been an original idea in theaters in decades.

I just don't like what Abrams did with my beloved Trek. It's an OK sci-fi movie but it's not MY Trek. I thought the actors/characters for the most part were spot-on (or at least close enough. Karl Urban's McCoy was awesome even though his part was written so ridiculously), but the script for the most part was goofy. Spock/Uhura? Ug. Enterprise made to look like a Mac fanboy's wet dream? Ug. (my main complaint about the the big E was that the nacelles were too close together) ANOTHER time travel story? Ug. Kirk, Spock AND Scotty just happen to end up on the same planet to which the other Spock arbitrarily dumped Kirk? Ug. Vulcan AND Romulus destroyed? Stupid and Ug.

It seems to me that 1) Abrams is WAY overrated. 2) They couldn't come up with a good story so they just strung together a series of too many WOW moments (contradictions to canon just to shock, not to enhance the story) (BTW, can you say LOST? Same ditsy story baloney where they couldn't come up with a solid story thread). 3) the alternate timeline was a cheat because they couldn't come up with a good story while following existing story guidelines ("we're creative, we can't be limited by last generation rules!" wah, friggin' wah).

In the end, I feel like I got ripped off. Some outsider stole my Trek and now I can never get it back because I am forced to live with their bad choices (because they'll continue along the same boneheaded timeline and because - see previous paragraph).

If you want to like the alternate Trek, feel free to do so but stop trying to change the minds of those who feel otherwise. What we loved was tainted, likely beyond repair. We're never going to be happy about that.
Old November 21 2012, 05:43 PM   #74
Dukhat
Commodore

umichigan wrote: View Post
In the end, I feel like I got ripped off. Some outsider stole my Trek and now I can never get it back because I am forced to live with their bad choices (because they'll continue along the same boneheaded timeline and because - see previous paragraph).
You can never get it back? Really? So someone is physically forcing you not to watch TOS ever again? And someone else is equally forcing you to go see the movies?

If you want to like the alternate Trek, feel free to do so but stop trying to change the minds of those who feel otherwise. What we loved was tainted, likely beyond repair. We're never going to be happy about that.
We'll stop trying to change your mind once you stop trying to speak for other Trek fans other than yourself.

Last edited by Dukhat; November 21 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 07:13 PM   #75
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

"You can never get it back? Really? So someone is physically forcing you not to watch TOS ever again? And someone else is equally forcing you to go see the movies?"

Geez, some people are really touchy. As I stated, I was expressing my opinion which coincidentally happens to be shared by some others, thus my casual use of the word, we.

Of course I can enjoy TOS but that wasn't the point. Like anyone, we enjoy watching that which we love grow and evolve. In MY opinion Abrams took things too far backward in ways that fundamentally change the characters. It wasn't evolution of the characters, it was devolution and destructive of their unique origins.

"We'll stop trying to change your mind once you stop trying to speak for other Trek fans other than yourself."

My intention was not exclude anyone, merely to remind that it was those who came before and watched Trek in syndication for years (on channel 50, Kaiser Broadcasting in Detroit, where it all started) that helped to establish the vast universe of Trek in which you reside. If not for a devotion to TOS and its characters by individuals along with me, YOUR hobby and devotion to Abrams would have no purchase.

I'm entertained by those who purport to have an open mind but clearly cannot stand to hear the opinions of others with whom they disagree.