Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 21 2012, 12:18 AM   #76
shanejayell
Captain

Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
^ I don't see anything here that should get you banned. You followed the process and wrote the story you were hired to tell.
And then dished the dirt on a public forum...
Well, yeah. Tho to be honest you don't sound like you wanna work with that editor again anyway....

What's even more annoying is Mack's book could easily take into account IFM just by referencing that Geordi dated Leah, and it didn't work out. Simple.

I think that's what bugs me most: it's just editorial being dicks that is making the book 'not in continuity.'
Old November 21 2012, 12:22 AM   #77
Christopher
Writer

shanejayell wrote: View Post
As could have Nurse Ogawa.
That's a tricky one, since she's depicted as a nurse on Titan in November 2382 in Fallen Gods, but IFM has her as a doctor on Challenger in January '83 and says she transferred there "some time ago."

It just seems deeply stupid to take a well written novel and have editorial say it's not in continuity, especially when the author in question was obeying editorial instructions.
Well, as Dave said, whether a book is in continuity has nothing to do with its quality. There are plenty of superb Trek novels that aren't compatible with the current novel continuity or with one another. So you shouldn't take it as a value judgment.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 01:24 AM   #78
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I couldn't resist.
Old November 21 2012, 01:44 AM   #79
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Perhaps in a future DTI novel, an investigation will show a temporal incursion or something caused changes in history involving the characters surrounding the events of IFM? In time, the waves caused by this will dampen out, I'm sure.

BTW, Christopher has mentioned the disappearance of the USS Intrepid in another thread and, as mentioned, DRG mentioned elements of IFM in his last two books. Plus, in one book Geordi's being demoted back to Commander was mentioned. So some elements of IFM are surviving into continuity. When you consider the errors of continuity in episodes of Star Trek, the issues here are extremely minor. Plenty of readers enjoyed IFM, myself included. I hope having been paid, receiving appreciation from fans, and having at least parts of his work survive into the overall story provides Magpie with comfort and a sense of fulfillment. As readers and lovers of Trek, we got a good story and have elements of that book which we know "happened" so we can feel like the money and time we spent on the book was well spent.
Old November 21 2012, 01:48 AM   #80
Christopher
Writer

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
BTW, Christopher has mentioned the disappearance of the USS Intrepid in another thread...
But only in a discussion thread, not in a book, so that doesn't count. Although I did name-drop "the Split Infinite affair" in Watching the Clock.

Old November 21 2012, 01:53 AM   #81
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Right, I appreciate that. The point I was trying to make was that you seem to be leaving the NX-class Intrepid in its place of history as described in IFM. I got the sense from that comment that you were respecting those events as laid out in IFM. (Though I am not trying to put those words in your mouth, that was my understanding).
Old November 21 2012, 02:06 AM   #82
Lonemagpie
Writer

^ I don't see anything here that should get you banned. You followed the process and wrote the story you were hired to tell.
Well, yeah. Tho to be honest you don't sound like you wanna work with that editor again anyway....
Yeah. And since it's the same guy in charge of all their tie-ins, actually, I guess it's not just Trek bridges burning here - CSI, you name it.

But the hell with it - I've got seven other books to finish for five other publishers, so it's time to get on with those...

(Also, note that I'm only pointing the finger re the "fitting in" issues. Any problems any reader has with prose or characterisation, etc, well, that's just me not satisfying them. And the other authors have done perfectly fine by me)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 03:06 AM   #83
Christopher
Writer

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
Right, I appreciate that. The point I was trying to make was that you seem to be leaving the NX-class Intrepid in its place of history as described in IFM. I got the sense from that comment that you were respecting those events as laid out in IFM.
No, I was just being my usual online self and offering an encyclopedic answer to the question that was raised. As I said, it doesn't come up in the book at all.

Old November 21 2012, 04:13 AM   #84
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

While IFM isn't my favorite Trek novel, I'd definitely buy another Trek novel written by you.
Old November 21 2012, 04:48 AM   #85
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

As would I. And since others have reminded us of the elements of Trek that could peacefully resolve this whole thing to everyone's satisfaction, I may be inclined to chalk it up as a DTI misadventure as yet unwritten. Agents assigned to that particular case yet to be identified. :-)

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 05:19 AM   #86
JD
Admiral

Me too. I'm not even a hundred pages into IFM yet, but I have loved it so far. Geordi has always been one my favorite TNG characters, and the book has been doing a great job with him so far. Very disappointed to hear that it is no longer in continuity. I would definitely read more Lonemagpie written Trek books.
Old November 21 2012, 08:57 AM   #87
shanejayell
Captain

Msybe we can convince the Trek editors to do a ongoing 'out of continuity' Geordi series? I'd love to see more SCE style adventures....
Old November 21 2012, 09:53 AM   #88
JWolf
Commodore

But the hell with it - I've got seven other books to finish for five other publishers, so it's time to get on with those...
And these five other books would be? I am interested in knowing.
Old November 21 2012, 10:41 AM   #89
Lonemagpie
Writer

Msybe we can convince the Trek editors to do a ongoing 'out of continuity' Geordi series? I'd love to see more SCE style adventures....
If they'd said that at the time, I'd have made it an SCE relaunch...

I don't mind so much the "you're screwed" (since I fulfilled the ambition already) - but it's the way of finding out that bugs me. I'd much rather be told straight "fuck off" than ignored for two years and the book wiped from continuity

Old November 21 2012, 10:49 AM   #90
Lonemagpie
Writer

JWolf wrote: View Post
And these five other books would be? I am interested in knowing.
The War Of Horus And Set (Osprey, May 21st) (already up on Amazon etc as well as Osprey's site - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-War-Horu.../dp/1780969023)

We Will Destroy Your Planet - An Alien's Guide To Conquering The Earth (Osprey, October)

Standard By Seven - retrospective of Blakes 7 (Classic TV Press, spring-ish)

untitled nonfiction media book for Telos (Telos, TBC)

OCLT- High Jump (Crossroads Press, spring)

The Fall Of Grace (Manleigh Books, spring)

The Last Poor Knight (Manleigh Books, autumn)

Those last two being historical novels featuring ex-Templar knight Guy de Carnac from a previous book of mine

Last edited by Lonemagpie; November 21 2012 at 11:09 AM.