Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 21 2012, 03:54 AM   #1
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Sayings that you hate now

or hated as a child

For me it was "Eat all you rvegetables because there are children starving in .......... (whatever country can currently be inserted, when I was a child it was Biafra). How can me eating more than I wanted to help them? I never used this argument with my children.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; November 21 2012 at 04:14 AM.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 04:06 AM   #2
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Sayings that you hate now

"Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about."
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 04:08 AM   #3
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
I use this one on my daughter. And I have no shame about it, either.
Old November 21 2012, 04:09 AM   #4
SeerSGB
Admiral

As a kid: "Wait till you get home" Well, hells, if I'm getting a punishment anyway bide as well make it worth the effort.

As an adult: YOLO (You Only Live Once) - Usually said right before someone does something stupid or dangerous or both.

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
or hated as a child

For me it was "Eat all you rvegetables because there are children starving in .......... (whatever country can currently be inserted, when I was a child it was Biafra). How can I eating more than I wanted to help them? I never used this argument with my children.
That one always made me think: Then shouldn't I eat less so they can have some of my food?
Old November 21 2012, 04:13 AM   #5
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
As a kid: "Wait till you get home" Well, hells, if I'm getting a punishment anyway bide as well make it worth the effort.

As an adult: YOLO (You Only Live Once) - Usually said right before someone does something stupid or dangerous or both.

or hated as a child

For me it was "Eat all you rvegetables because there are children starving in .......... (whatever country can currently be inserted, when I was a child it was Biafra). How can I eating more than I wanted to help them? I never used this argument with my children.
That one always made me think: Then shouldn't I eat less so they can have some of my food?
I think most children think that, I know I certainly did.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 04:14 AM   #6
Maestro
Vice Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

or hated as a child

I think most children think that, I know I certainly did.
My sister always retorted, "Well, then send it to 'em!"
Old November 21 2012, 04:31 AM   #7
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

I always and I mean always hated the term "Hoss." Back in the 80's it was a popular term to call a friend. Like "What's up Hoss," I would tell who ever said it to never use that word infront of me again, it's like nails on a chalk board for me. Seriously, don't use it.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

"Stop complaining, there are people in worse situation than yours."

Grrrr... there are, so what?! If I have a broken leg and someone else had two broken legs, my broken leg doesn't hurt me any less just because someone has two broken legs!
Old November 21 2012, 06:48 AM   #9
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

"BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!"

Anyone who has ever dealt with kids has probably said this at some point, or at least heard it when they were kids. I try very hard not to say it to my nieces and nephew because it's a total BS line.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

There's only one rule. There are no rules.

This annoys me to no end. If there are no rules, then how can there only be one rule!

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 01:02 PM   #11
lurok
Commodore

Do as I say, not as I do. Hypocrisy.
Old November 21 2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Naira
Rear Admiral

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

No, it does not. I do believe that having an optimistic attitude somehow helps but the universe does not conspire in helping you! You have to work hard and do your share.
Old November 21 2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Starkers
Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
Ah the classics are the best!

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post

Grrrr... there are, so what?! If I have a broken leg and someone else had two broken legs, my broken leg doesn't hurt me any less just because someone has two broken legs!
Yeah I hate that. At the end of the day whatever your situation you can guarentee someone, somwhere, will have it worse...like you say, this doesn't really help you!
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post

Yeah I hate that. At the end of the day whatever your situation you can guarentee someone, somwhere, will have it worse...like you say, this doesn't really help you!
I also dislike that one. Especially because it often seems to imply an accusation of selfishness, as though by discussing your own suffering you're somehow discounting other people's - when you're doing no such thing, and instead it's the person saying this who's discounting yours. Even when they mean well it's annoying. My grandmother says it sometimes (minus the aggressive "stop complaining" part) to try and prompt me out of my depressive episodes; she means no harm, but she doesn't seem to understand that depression warps your perceptions and your thinking, so even if you objecively acknowledge your relative good fortune, that does nothing to ease your subjective suffering, and you can't break out of that suffering just by acknowledging some hierarchy of pain.
Old November 21 2012, 02:17 PM   #15
maclaus
Another bloomin' Christmas

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to maclaus

auntiehill wrote: View Post
"BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!"

Anyone who has ever dealt with kids has probably said this at some point, or at least heard it when they were kids. I try very hard not to say it to my nieces and nephew because it's a total BS line.
Along the same lines, my dad always used the line "parents don't need reasons". I hated that more than "because I said so".

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
maclaus is offline   Reply With Quote