Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 17 2012, 07:33 AM   #1
hayesc0
Lieutenant

data department change in chain of command

he became captain jellico's first officer and changed to command division how can he take such a step back to ops after such a big accomplishment
hayesc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: data department change in chain of command

It was a field promotion, not an official one. It's sort of like when you're the assistant-manager/supervisor at your job and then the Big Guy takes a week vacation. Bam! You're now the boss! You tell people what to do and hold down the fort. But that doesn't make you "boss forever" you go back down once he comes back.
Old November 20 2012, 08:35 AM   #3
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Like Riker in BOBW?
Old November 20 2012, 10:55 PM   #4
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

The Riker one seems more murky to me. Obviously, for purposes of the show, he had to go back to being first officer at the end of the episode. But he was given a promotion and command of the ship by an admiral with the authority to do so, not on a temporary basis but on the assumption Captain Picard was dead and that this would be a permanent command for Riker. Even given the unusual circumstances, it seems odd to me to knock him back down to Commander, even if he goes back to being first officer.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Dream
Admiral

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Even given the unusual circumstances, it seems odd to me to knock him back down to Commander, even if he goes back to being first officer.
I always thought that allowing Riker to remain first officer on the Enterprise was his reward for saving Earth while in command in BOBW. I'm sure many people thought it was a good idea for him to be there with Picard just in case.

But after 15 years, Starfleet was fed up and the captain's rank offered to him in Nemesis was the absolutely last time they would do it.
Old November 20 2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Can one pass up a promotion in the modern military?
Old November 21 2012, 07:48 AM   #7
los2188
Commander

Dream wrote: View Post
Even given the unusual circumstances, it seems odd to me to knock him back down to Commander, even if he goes back to being first officer.
I always thought that allowing Riker to remain first officer on the Enterprise was his reward for saving Earth while in command in BOBW. I'm sure many people thought it was a good idea for him to be there with Picard just in case.

But after 15 years, Starfleet was fed up and the captain's rank offered to him in Nemesis was the absolutely last time they would do it.
From what I understand, Riker had a choice as to whether to become a captain or to remain first officer to Picard as commander Shelby stated by saying something to the effect of "you'll have your choice of command on any ship" or something like that, but he stated that he wanted to remain with the enterprise. I also always got the vibe that part of the reason why Riker never took the captain's chair is because he wanted the enterprise again as stated in Generations where he thought he'd "get a shot at the this old chair" referencing the enterprise. I do believe that him assuming command of the titan was sort of a last time the captain's chair would be offered to him. In the Nemesis script that never aired, Picard and Riker spoke about how the Enterprise will one day be his and that the titan is a fine and beautiful ship...but of course since it never made it to air, it's not canon.
Old November 21 2012, 02:28 PM   #8
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

That all makes sense, but what I was saying is that it doesn't make sense to me that he got promoted to the rank of Captain and then got bumped back down to Commander. I'm not talking about the position of Captain, just the rank.

We've seen from the TOS movies that you can have more than one person of Captain rank serving aboard a starship. By the time of the TOS crew's assignment to the Enterprise-A at the end of TVH, you had Kirk, Spock, and Scotty all holding the rank of Captain even though only Kirk actually was in command of the ship. So why couldn't Riker have retained the rank of Captain but still been first officer?
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 09:54 AM   #9
FreddyE
Commander

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Can one pass up a promotion in the modern military?
Yeah...I wonder about that too. Is there anbody here who can answer this?
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral

Speculation only, but...

In modern militaries, there aren't that many opportunities for promotion at the higher levels, as a promotion would be associated with an assignment known to be in need of an officer, and a modern Navy doesn't have anywhere near as many ships as Starfleet, nor as many sector command "starbases" or comparable positions for flag officers. On the other hand, military men on the lower rungs of the ladder are running out of viable working years as their physical fitness quickly deteriorates. Promotions would be carefully preplanned by the organization to meet its needs, and anybody arguing against them would justly raise the ire of the organization. In most cases, it would be tantamount to disobeying an order; a promotion essentially is a transfer order of sorts.

Starfleet would be facing somewhat different conditions: a huge number of ships, suffering constant losses even in peacetime, would create job openings, whereas the people queuing up for the openings would remain physically fit for longer thanks to future medicine and whatnot. Extensive cross-training would allow redshirts to take promotions to goldshirt positions etc. And the long-lived people might spend decades in a given position, accumulating merit within that position rather than by climbing up the hierarchy. Plus, the pressures from below would be reduced as there apparently would be no pay incentive to earn a promotion: you wouldn't need to get extra brass on your collar in order to feed your family, and your motivation to hunt for a promotion would probably come from you aiming at a specific ideal position. Once you reached that, you wouldn't be bumping into the people right above you in hopes of taking their jobs and pay rates.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 09:49 PM   #11
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

That all makes sense, but what I was saying is that it doesn't make sense to me that he got promoted to the rank of Captain and then got bumped back down to Commander. I'm not talking about the position of Captain, just the rank.
Even if he was "reduced " back to first officer, there is no reason he couldn't have retained the rank of Captain..

Both the Captain and the Executive Officer of the current USS Enterprise (CVN-65) are Captains by rank. Captain William Hamilton and Captain Gregory Huffman.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 03:42 AM   #12
gastrof
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Both the Captain and the Executive Officer of the current USS Enterprise (CVN-65) are Captains by rank. Captain William Hamilton and Captain Gregory Huffman.

Okay.

I'll be the one to say it.

How in the world do you know about these guys?

It's not right.

Just because they're on the Enterprise they shouldn't have Trek fans stalking them and following their careers.
Old November 23 2012, 12:20 PM   #13
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I'm a trekkie, I admit to a somewhat unnatural fascination with the American (and separately British) naval ship named Enterprise. When she is decommissioned this spring, and there is no Enterprise in our fleet, I shall be sad.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Timo
Admiral

It's not as if such information would be difficult to obtain, either. Not on celebrity assignments like that. It's a bit more involving to find out the identity of the XO on a random minesweeper, say, USS Avenger...

...Namely, you have to sign in to Facebook instead of just googling.

Just kidding (although the ship does have a FB page). Simply go to www.public.navy.mil for whatever you want to know.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 01:31 PM   #15
MacLeod
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I'm a trekkie, I admit to a somewhat unnatural fascination with the American (and separately British) naval ship named Enterprise. When she is decommissioned this spring, and there is no Enterprise in our fleet, I shall be sad.

There however will be an Enterprise still in service, the HMS Enterprise a multi role survey vessel - hydrographic oceanographic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Enterprise_%28H88%29
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote