Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 19 2012, 06:07 PM   #1
newtontomato539
Commander

Should they have kept Dr. Selar?

I thought she was a great character.
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Mojochi
Commodore

Re: Should they have kept Dr. Selar?

Truthfully, I think it could have been useful to develop Crusher's staff more. I mean all we ever saw were Ogawa & Martinez. Seeing to the medical needs of a population of 1000 would require a developed staff, & the existence of Selar's character in season 2 suggested such a staff. If not to keep her around, then they should have at least added another medical staffer or two, with speaking parts

Hell, they could have scrapped 2 or 3 of those awful Crusher episodes like Sub Rosa, & put in something medical staff oriented, which would have still featured her heavily. I would have found a few more Starfleet medical stories fascinating

Geordi & Data had numerous episodes centered around technobabbly problems. A few centered around medical sci-fi would have been very refreshing
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Medical-babble?
Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Truthfully, I think it could have been useful to develop Crusher's staff more. I mean all we ever saw were Ogawa & Martinez.
Yeah, but that's TNG all over really. How many characters beyond the main cast were explored in any real depth? A handful at best.

Not that I disagree with you though. It would have been nice to get more material for the supporting characters.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Mojochi
Commodore

Well, Ro was a bridge officer that was developed, & Barclay was something of an engineering officer they explored. I wouldn't say Guinan was extensively explored, but she was developed more than Ogawa. Ogawa shared the screen in Lower Decks & got an odd scene on occasion

Anyway... I just think even in this finite selection of supporting players, they could have squeezed in some more time for a sickbay one. Sickbay has always been a pretty integral part of all Star Trek
Old November 20 2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I wasn't actually arguing, I was agreeing. And lamenting that things were the way they were. Thankfully, when in need of a much larger expanded (and explored) cast there is another Trek show to go to.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

There's several minor characters I wish they kept around. Ensign Gomez was another great character with a lot of potential for growth. I mean, she was a little obnoxious, but the idea of having a brilliant, attractive, yet naive and semi-neurotic female character evolving into something more and proving herself was a great idea. They eventually fulfilled that with Barclay, but Gomez would have been wonderful, and a possible love interest for Geordi.

Selar was nice, if they even remotely fleshed out her character. Even Gomez had more characterization than Selar.
Minuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Selar should have been CMO from Season 2. She would have provided Data with a good counterpoint, whilst everyone else was trying to get him to be more human, she could signify the benefits of detachment and logic over wishy-washy emotions.

I also think that she and Worf would have made a interesting couple over the years, professionally and otherwise.

But then again, I am a little bias, I love Vulcans
Old November 20 2012, 10:35 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

IMO, she would have been eventually TNG's version of Seven of Nine (an emotionless sex object). They probably would have made her uniform even tighter to show off her boobs--she definitely wouldn't be wearing a doctor's coat like Crusher did.
Old November 21 2012, 03:16 AM   #10
Mojochi
Commodore

Tosk wrote: View Post
I wasn't actually arguing, I was agreeing. And lamenting that things were the way they were. Thankfully, when in need of a much larger expanded (and explored) cast there is another Trek show to go to.
I wasn't really arguing either, just expounding, & I agree that if you want character exploring Star Trek then DS9 is the way to go, obviously, but I was always more a TNG guy, because the voyages of the Enterprise is where it's at for me, & they were the first to start exploring characters at all, compared to TOS. They could have stretched it a bit more, imho, but seemed tentative about doing so

I actually preferred Robin Lefler, who was featured slightly more than Gomez, & infinitely less obnoxious & green acting
Old November 21 2012, 04:39 AM   #11
Surak of Vulcan
Ensign

No doubt she should have appeared more often. If we didn't have inferring skills, then the entire medical staff of the USS Enterprise-D consisted of Crusher, Ogawa, and two Ensign Insignificants. However, there's a difference between the good guest stars, like Guinan or Barclay, and the bad guest stars, like a few of those ones that showed up just to spout out meaningless dross then hold the sets down for the rest of the episode.

And, as C.E. Evans stated, since I don't deny her rather attractive figure, she probably would've ended up as a Seven of Nine-esque character.

Also, if it helps, I believe she was in The New Frontier book series. But, books aren't canon, I know.
Old November 21 2012, 03:56 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

I'd like more Suzi Plakson in any guise.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 10:45 PM   #13
Worf'sParmach
Commander

Forbin wrote: View Post
I'd like more Suzi Plakson in any guise.
This.
Old November 25 2012, 10:47 PM   #14
Worf'sParmach
Commander

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I also think that she and Worf would have made a interesting couple over the years, professionally and otherwise.
I've always thought seeing Worf with a Vulcan would have been interesting. He often behaves more logical Vulcan than impulsive Klingon anyway. And we already know Vulcans aren't opposed to going outside of their species.
Old November 26 2012, 02:38 AM   #15
Surak of Vulcan
Ensign

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I've always thought seeing Worf with a Vulcan would have been interesting. He often behaves more logical Vulcan than impulsive Klingon anyway. And we already know Vulcans aren't opposed to going outside of their species.
Well, Worf was more honorable than the average Klingon, too. According to Memory Alpha, if she was kept on, she was to have developed a relationship with Worf. Interesting, I must say. I wonder if they would've killed her off like they did with K'Ehleyr.