Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 19 2012, 03:15 PM   #1
newtontomato539
Commander

Should TNG have had different Star Fleet uniforms?

I really don't like the torso side panels, the belly point and the butt point on the Seasons 1-7 officer standard duty uniforms.

I like the dress, Darmok, DS9 mark 1(Emissary), DS9 mark 2 (First Contact), Generations prototype and Bad Robot 2256 uniforms.

Keep it simple.

What about taking off the shoulder points?
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 04:19 PM   #2
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: Should TNG have had different Star Fleet uniforms?

If I had the power to go back in time or rewrite history from the present, I would've given the prototype Generations uniforms to the TNG costume crew and maybe would've said to modify the collars and just let them use those for all 7 seasons. They looked pretty classy and not as "stylized for the sake of stylizing" as the TNG uniforms we did get.
Old November 19 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Mojochi
Commodore

Variations I liked that would have been a good change for the show

The Ro suit

The Pressman

The Pulaski

The Picard Vest, reminiscent of the Kirk Vest
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 10:55 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

newtontomato539 wrote: View Post
I really don't like the torso side panels, the belly point and the butt point on the
It was the Starfleet "arrowhead" insignia. Those uniforms incorporated the design.

I liked the TNG uniforms from Seasons 3-7, although I understand they were incredibly uncomfortable for the actors to wear (the seasons 1-2 uniforms were only slightly worse as far as comfort was concerned, IIRC).
Old November 19 2012, 11:14 PM   #5
bullethead
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I really don't like the torso side panels, the belly point and the butt point on the
It was the Starfleet "arrowhead" insignia. Those uniforms incorporated the design.

I liked the TNG uniforms from Seasons 3-7, although I understand they were incredibly uncomfortable for the actors to wear (the seasons 1-2 uniforms were only slightly worse as far as comfort was concerned, IIRC).
Yeah, weren't both uniforms made out of spandex or something like that? I recall hearing that it was some sort of stretchy material and the way they made the uniforms in S1 resulted in back strain.
Old November 19 2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Dream
Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
Yeah, weren't both uniforms made out of spandex or something like that? I recall hearing that it was some sort of stretchy material and the way they made the uniforms in S1 resulted in back strain.
The S3-7 uniforms were made of wool, two piece (shirt and pants) and had the belt. I'm sure it was much more confortable for the actor. Hell, it LOOKED much more comfortable to me.

The one-piece spandex jumpsuits from S1-2 always looked terrible not to mention cheap.

The uniforms were changed because Patrick Stewart's chiropractor warned that they risked permanent back injury if they kept wearing the S1-2 uniforms.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 05:24 AM   #7
davejames
Vice Admiral

I rather liked the Season 3-7 uniforms. Although I did think the FC uniforms looked even cooler, with the black and gray, and wish they had been thought of earlier.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 05:32 AM   #8
Dream
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I rather liked the Season 3-7 uniforms. Although I did think the FC uniforms looked even cooler, with the black and gray, and wish they had been thought of earlier.
Whenever I think of TNG, I always think of the characters in the S3-7 uniforms. I will always rewatch those seasons more than the TNG movies.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Pavonis
Commodore

I think there should've been a wider variety of uniforms presented in TNG. There were captains variants but there could have been more variants, such as away team jackets or environmental gear.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Mojochi
Commodore

One thing I actually liked about Generations was that there was a crossover happening, where there seemed to be no problems with them switching back & forth between the TNG post S3 uniforms & the Voyager/Early DS9 ones. There's many scenes where both are in use simultaneously

Since Starfleet is more relaxed than a traditional military structure, I could see that kind of practice working. Command officers being allowed some personalized variants, & a few standard variants permitted to all crew
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 04:25 PM   #11
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

My favorite TNG era uniforms are the uniforms introduced in First Contact followed by the S3-7 uniforms.
Old November 20 2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

They were perfect for a sci-fi show of the era.
Old November 20 2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Very true.
Old November 20 2012, 05:02 PM   #14
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
The S3-7 uniforms were made of wool, two piece (shirt and pants) and had the belt. I'm sure it was much more confortable for the actor. Hell, it LOOKED much more comfortable to me.
From what I've read in interviews with various cast members, they were anything but comfortable. IIRC, there were complaints that they were tight around the shoulders, tight around the waist, and very difficult to raise your arms in (the tunic also had a tendency to shoot completely up into your neck when doing so, forcing everyone to do a "Picard maneuver" afterward when doing anything other than standing or walking).

According to Robert Beltran and Garrett Wang, the early DS9/VOY uniforms were even more uncomfortable to wear.
Old November 20 2012, 08:12 PM   #15
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

In a real military, there is a WIDE VARIETY of different uniforms in use at any one time. It would be interesting to see this variety. The only time we saw anything remotely like this was in Generations.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote