Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 20 2012, 04:27 PM   #76
Redfern
Commodore

Re: Children in Need 2012: Christmas Special prequel + trailer

Anyway...back to the clips.

I wonder how many fans upon hearing the special would depict "snowmen" assumed they were going to be Troughten era "Yeti"? I bet there were a few fans muttering curses upon seeing the clip.

I don't mind the idea of literal "snow" monsters; that seems right up DW's alley. I just think they might have looked more interesting if their "teeth" resembled icecicles. Whether or not they are composed of frozen water, visually, I think they'd look better than the cartoonish triangular "chompers" I saw in the clip.

But Strax? Oh, man, he's gonna steal the show, I just know it! Uh, he is the same actor who played the "wet nurse" Sontaran in "A Good Man Goes to War", isn't he? It was a bummer that character died, but I'm thrilled the production found a way to reintroduce a similar character. I rather like the idea of a grumpily reluctant Sontaran ally.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 04:58 PM   #77
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Pindar wrote: View Post
All of the original doctors had alien companions or companions from quite different times, without looking it up my brain wants to say that current day companions were the minority.
I did a quick count. About 17 out of 29 or so were contemporary, so a slight majority. There's obviously disagreements over who is a companion, though. In the modern era, the number of contemporaries has obviously increased.
Old November 20 2012, 05:48 PM   #78
The Wormhole
Admiral

Redfern wrote: View Post
But Strax? Oh, man, he's gonna steal the show, I just know it! Uh, he is the same actor who played the "wet nurse" Sontaran in "A Good Man Goes to War", isn't he? It was a bummer that character died, but I'm thrilled the production found a way to reintroduce a similar character. I rather like the idea of a grumpily reluctant Sontaran ally.
Not just the same actor, but the same character as well. Yes, the Sontaran nurse in Good Man was Strax. I sure would like to know how he survived a fatal gunshot wound.
Old November 20 2012, 05:56 PM   #79
Saul
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Not just the same actor, but the same character as well. Yes, the Sontaran nurse in Good Man was Strax. I sure would like to know how he survived a fatal gunshot wound.
Maybe because it takes place before that happens?
Old November 20 2012, 06:02 PM   #80
The Wormhole
Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
I think not.

1) If this were before Good Man, shouldn't Strax be with that gang in the year 4000 or whatever who dressed as though it were the 18th century fighting a war whose wounded Strax was responsible for treating?

Old November 20 2012, 07:15 PM   #81
Alidar Jarok

I'm not clicking on the spoiler. However, just addressing that first point, he's always free to leave them and become a nurse later.
Old November 20 2012, 07:50 PM   #82
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Saul wrote: View Post

I think not.

1) If this were before Good Man, shouldn't Strax be with that gang in the year 4000 or whatever who dressed as though it were the 18th century fighting a war whose wounded Strax was responsible for treating?

Remember, though, that the Doctor punished Strax for some reason yet unknown by forcing him to serve in that war as a nurse. Strax may not have been from the time period we see in "A Good Man..." That, too, could have been part of the debt that Strax has to pay for whatever he did.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 08:23 PM   #83
diankra
Commodore

I'm assuming that it's earlier than Good Man... for Strax. Interesting question is, is it also earlier for Jenny and Veshtra? Or are they also dealing with the earlier version of someone they've seen die?
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 08:35 PM   #84
Redfern
Commodore

Ah, Dan Starkey... Doing a bit of brief research, I see he played Skorr in the Sontaran two-parter; he was Jask (not to be confused with the Cult of Skaro member) in "The End of Time"; and, of course, the afore mentioned Strax. Hmm, he's actually tied with Kevin Lindsay for the number of Sontaran characters portrayed. (Remember, Lindsay played both Styre and his Marshall who appeared on a video relay.) Even Chris Ryan has played only two, General Staal and later Commander Stark.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 09:59 PM   #85
Lonemagpie
Writer

I suspect it's just going to be that he wasn't *quite* dead in AGMGTW, and that he probably just went home with Vastra & Jenny afterwards. Occam's Razor, and all that...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 11:34 PM   #86
Alidar Jarok

Occam's Razor with Moffat?
Old November 21 2012, 07:05 AM   #87
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

To throw people off.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 10:00 AM   #88
Starkers
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I suspect it's just going to be that he wasn't *quite* dead in AGMGTW, and that he probably just went home with Vastra & Jenny afterwards. Occam's Razor, and all that...
Whilst I kinda hope that’s true as on the whole I hate to see characters I know are going to die (although strangely it doesn’t bother me with River) that was quite clearly a death scene in AGMGTW.

Dan Starkey (no relation as far as I know) is great though, although I don wonder if it’s just that he’s the only one who fits in the costume…

On an unrelated note, I find our reading tastes are spookily converging, I was reading Ash whilst I saw you were on Crickley Hall, ok not a major coincidence, but just a few days ago I started 11-22-63! If you read Stephen Baxter’s Wheel of Ice in between we might need to worry

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 01:27 AM   #89
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Also, Vastra and Jenny were quite nervous, twitchy and very eager to appease The Doctor. Its very unlike their confident selves in AGMGTW who even challenged the Doctor's motives and ideas. So these might indeed be their younger selves.
Old November 22 2012, 04:55 PM   #90
The Wormhole
Admiral

Problem is, Jenny didn't recognize the TARDIS in Good Man, which would make no sense if it is the younger Vastra and Jenny we see in the Christmas special.