RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,571
Posts: 5,514,447
Members: 25,151
Currently online: 538
Newest member: slarlac249

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 20 2012, 03:47 PM   #181
Geckothan
Fleet Captain
 
Geckothan's Avatar
 
Location: People's Republic of Britainistan
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

Bisz wrote: View Post
Geckothan wrote: View Post
1. No thanks
2. Touch screen interfaces are stupid
3. No thanks, I'd rather pay with cash if I'm buying something in person
4. No I won't
5. It already does, if internet porn counts?

Also, smart phones and tablets are stupid.
...so, you're a luddite?
No, I just dislike those particular technologies. None of those things are true advances (other than the first one, which I dislike because it takes away control from the user, while bringing no real benefits to 'advanced users', which in this case refers to good drivers) and add nothing valuable to the user experience, other than adding a little convenience for some users and taking away a little convenience for other users.

Flexible screens already exist, btw, and they're quite usable, just not durable or reliable enough for real-world use yet. RFID technology and voice control aren't exactly revolutionary, either.
__________________
You're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 05:02 PM   #182
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral
 
Crazy Eddie's Avatar
 
Location: I'm in your ___, ___ing your ___
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

I'm pretty sure we covered this before, but your singular objection to robotically driven cars would be easily addressed by simply retaining the optional steering wheel and giving drivers a choice.
__________________
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Starfleet - Online Now!
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 07:01 PM   #183
Smellincoffee
Commodore
 
Smellincoffee's Avatar
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

1. Trains, because peak oil will kill planes and cars.
2. Bicycles, because peak oil will kill busses and cars.
3. Biodigesters, because the world needs sanitation and we can't afford just cleaning waste up and then dumping it.
4. Mixed-used urban planning.
5. I imagine those touch-interfaces will become more ubiquitous.
__________________
DS9 CapCon #105: NOW IS THE PERFECT TIME TO PANIC!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 08:35 PM   #184
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

1. Trains, because peak oil will kill planes and cars.
2. Bicycles, because peak oil will kill busses and cars.
It will take far more than 15 years just to build a new train line from LA to San Francisco, and those are two dense cities. And even people in New York prefer Vespas to bicycles. Of course, all that is irrelevant because the cities won't survive the first year of starvation once farmers try to pedal their crops a hundred miles to the nearest train station, which is actually feasible once their crops are limited to what they can sow and harvest by hand.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 08:57 PM   #185
Deks
Rear Admiral
 
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

1. Fully automated vertical farms (growing organic food) being implemented in larger quantities.
2. Extraction of water from the sea using desalination and from the atmosphere (both are old technologies that could have been implemented on a global scale a LONG time ago).
3. Carbon nanotubes, synthetic diamonds and graphene usage in electronics and other areas/industries.
4. Larger usage of full EV's and possibly more widespread implementation/use of mag-lev transit systems.
5. Molecular manufacturing, 3d printing and far more robotic/computer automation/mechanization of everything (further reducing the general population purchasing power and people not being able to train fast enough for 'new' jobs because technological automation will be implemented MUCH faster - already happening actually).
__________________
We are who we choose to be but also have predefined aspects of our personalities we are born with, and make art that defines us.
Deks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 09:22 PM   #186
Geckothan
Fleet Captain
 
Geckothan's Avatar
 
Location: People's Republic of Britainistan
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

Vertical farms are a good idea, though when you say organic, do you mean free of synthetic pesticides, or free of all synthetic substances?

I say this because hydroponic vertical farming would be rather awesome.

There's nothing wrong with using synthetic salts as nutrients, and in fact, plants grown hydroponically with synthetic nutrients tend to yield far better (as the levels of each nutrient can be tuned to cater to particular varieties of plant), and are significantly less vulnerable to root rot-like diseases (if H2O2 is added to the water at least, which kills many microorganisms and helps keep the water oxygenated). Larger, healthier plants are more resistant to some of the diseases spread by pests, and the higher yield reduces the impact of losses from pests munching on the plants.

Nothing 'synthetic' ends up in the final product as long as the salts are of decent quality (and if they're not, the chances are the plant will just die anyway rather than produce any contaminated yield).

Not to mention that a hydroponic system would make such a set-up far easier to maintain, with a single tank that can be cleaned/refilled from the ground.
__________________
You're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 09:26 PM   #187
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

Geckothan wrote: View Post
Bisz wrote: View Post
Geckothan wrote: View Post
1. No thanks
2. Touch screen interfaces are stupid
3. No thanks, I'd rather pay with cash if I'm buying something in person
4. No I won't
5. It already does, if internet porn counts?

Also, smart phones and tablets are stupid.
...so, you're a luddite?
No, I just dislike those particular technologies. None of those things are true advances (other than the first one, which I dislike because it takes away control from the user, while bringing no real benefits to 'advanced users', which in this case refers to good drivers) and add nothing valuable to the user experience, other than adding a little convenience for some users and taking away a little convenience for other users.

Flexible screens already exist, btw, and they're quite usable, just not durable or reliable enough for real-world use yet. RFID technology and voice control aren't exactly revolutionary, either.
Is taking the control away from the user always a bad thing?

No real benefits, well that depends on what you class as a benefit. On Motorways robot control cars could in theroy travel at higher speeds more safely than human controlled cars. So instead of having say a 70mph limit, a train of robot control cars could travel at twice that speed.

Roads in some areas are very congested, having motors controlled by computer would likely mean that exisiting roads can be better utilised so instead of building moree roads, widening existing roads we are better able to use exisiting capacity.

As the roads would be used more efficentently there could be an econmic benefit, enviromental benefit.

So there are potential real benefits.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 09:55 PM   #188
Geckothan
Fleet Captain
 
Geckothan's Avatar
 
Location: People's Republic of Britainistan
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Is taking the control away from the user always a bad thing?

No real benefits, well that depends on what you class as a benefit. On Motorways robot control cars could in theroy travel at higher speeds more safely than human controlled cars. So instead of having say a 70mph limit, a train of robot control cars could travel at twice that speed.

Roads in some areas are very congested, having motors controlled by computer would likely mean that exisiting roads can be better utilised so instead of building moree roads, widening existing roads we are better able to use exisiting capacity.

As the roads would be used more efficentently there could be an econmic benefit, enviromental benefit.

So there are potential real benefits.
Taking control away from stupid users is a good thing, but not everybody wants to be driven around by a robot car.

There are privacy implications, as such a car would almost certainly contain some kind of 'black box' device that records every movement, and could almost certainly be remotely disabled (yes, most new cars already have both of those facilities, with built-in GPS systems/satnavs and 2G or 3G radios that are built directly into the ECU, but 99% of cars from before the mid-2000s are safe from such idiocies), and if they became widely adopted, they would almost certainly end up replacing real cars with real manual controls (or even drive-by-wire ones). Maybe the first few generations would still have steering wheels and pedals as overrides, but I doubt that will always be the case.

As a driving enthusiast with good car control and respect for the laws of the road and other drivers on it, I'd hate to see proper cars taken off the market entirely in favour of idiotmobiles. At the very least, I'm willing to bet that motorways would become robot-car-only for 'safety reasons' or something.

They've already pretty much phased out proper non-drive-by-wire brakes, clutches, manual gearboxes and mechanical throttles in most mainstream cars (other than the few pure enthusiast-centric sports cars with relatively small engines but ridiculously light chassis), which completely sucks, but as much as I hate silly drive-by-wire electronic nanny controls, at least you still have some input into their operation. I dread the day when real cars with real controls no longer exist. Driving aids that can be implemented on top of proper controls (e.g. ABS and power steering, which are effectively passive, and active suspension, which simply reacts to the outcome of your input) are great, however.
__________________
You're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 12:32 AM   #189
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

Erm no they haven't

Most cars sold in Europe are Manual transmission so they also have a manual clutch.

^So you dread the day when real cars with real cars get phased out. Well I don't mean to be blunt but none of us is going to lve forever, yes we might have reservation and be resistant to some new technologies, but what of those generations that follow us?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 12:51 AM   #190
Geckothan
Fleet Captain
 
Geckothan's Avatar
 
Location: People's Republic of Britainistan
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

Outside of Europe, most cars are automatic/semi-automatic/manumatic, but many high-end cars (of many formats) in Europe are now semi-automatic/manumatic. Manual gearboxes won't be going anywhere for a while here, no, but things are still heading in that direction.

I resist such technologies because they do not benefit me. Call me selfish, but hey, at least I'm smart enough to drive safely without an electronic nanny doing it for me, unlike the target market of the autonomous car.
__________________
You're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 01:02 AM   #191
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

But the question to ask could those technologies benefit society as a whole?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 03:07 AM   #192
Deks
Rear Admiral
 
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

Geckothan wrote: View Post
Vertical farms are a good idea, though when you say organic, do you mean free of synthetic pesticides, or free of all synthetic substances?

I say this because hydroponic vertical farming would be rather awesome.
I meant pesticides, chemicals and GMO.
Not everything synthetic is automatically BAD... hardly... but in its current form, most of it IS (because the monetary system focuses on 'cheap' and 'cost effective', not to mention 'profitable').

Omega gardens can grow food up to 5x faster, no need for soil, chemicals, pesticides or gmo.
Combining that with fish farming would create a closed system producing nutrient rich water (from waste made by the fish) that the plants use for food (also this would reduce usage of water by up to 75%).
Fully automated vertical farms if designed properly (using above methods along with hydroponics and aeroponics) can also be made to produce energy (not just consume it) along with water (by extracting it from the atmosphere) - and would completely negate the need for manual labor.

If they go with 'cost efficiency', technical efficiency will be forgotten for the most part, if not greatly sacrificed for the purpose of cutting monetary costs.
__________________
We are who we choose to be but also have predefined aspects of our personalities we are born with, and make art that defines us.
Deks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 07:12 AM   #193
Bisz
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

Geckothan wrote: View Post
Outside of Europe, most cars are automatic/semi-automatic/manumatic
...really? The Indian Tata motors car which retails for like $29.95 is an automatic? I would call BS on your statement and say that outside of North America most cars are manual.
__________________
"In general, living kills you..."
Bisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 07:14 AM   #194
Bisz
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

Geckothan wrote: View Post
They've already pretty much phased out proper non-drive-by-wire brakes, clutches, manual gearboxes and mechanical throttles ...
And they've pretty much phased out real cars with real horses too, much to the chagrin of the Amish.
__________________
"In general, living kills you..."
Bisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 10:54 PM   #195
publiusr
Rear Admiral
 
Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

There is a new CAD type combo called Winning Program
It combines Catia 3-D design Dymola modeling Simulia simulation Enovia product data:

http://www.3ds.com/company/news-medi...0eb914a8fa75da

This might also be something scifi-mesh folks might want to use.

More
Make 2D into 3D?
http://programming.itags.org/matlab/...+into+3d+image
Slit scan objects cheaply
http://makeprojects.com/Project/Flat...tography/761/1
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=155626&page=2
http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.1415 Super-camera
http://programming.itags.org/matlab/...+into+3d+image

Artificial retina
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0814213326.htm
Femto-photo http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=16121

Square holes http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=13732

Free software for art
https://www.daz3d.com/i/3d/free-3d-s...me_f_btn=start
Uh oh
http://spacewatchtower.blogspot.com/...gh-opaque.html

Free 3D model ripper
http://thefree3dmodels.com/publ/how_..._games/8-1-0-9
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.