Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 20 2012, 03:01 PM   #16
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Re: Wii U launches on November 18th

As a upgrade to the Wii it looks fantastic, but that launch price is a bit steep for me so i will wait....But dont take too long ninty.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 03:36 PM   #17
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Just make sure your power supply is good and stable for the 4 hour/ 5GB firmware update on loadup, or you'll have a thoroughly bricked system.

And better have a portable HDD hooked up, or you'll have next to zero onboard storage after it.
Old November 20 2012, 04:40 PM   #18
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

$300 to play a new 2D Mario game is a little steep for me. I can just download a random rom hack of Super Mario World instead for free. Besides, New Super Mario Bros. 2 left a bad taste in my mouth. As for ZombiU and Nintendo Land? Meh.

I've always been a Nintendo fan, so I'm sure that the Wii U will be worth buying eventually when the inevitable high quality Nintendo games hit the console. But it is not this day.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 04:43 PM   #19
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Just make sure your power supply is good and stable for the 4 hour/ 5GB firmware update on loadup, or you'll have a thoroughly bricked system.

And better have a portable HDD hooked up, or you'll have next to zero onboard storage after it.
Ouch!!!.lol

And over wireless as well.

Although i bit of surfing seems to indicate the update is closer to 1.5gig than 5 gigs......although even at that it's still a scary update for your new expensive console.

Old November 20 2012, 05:06 PM   #20
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

The operating system shipped is 4.2GB, the update is 4.7-5GB but it overwrites most of the existing OS making it 1.5GB larger or 5.7 in total, leaving the 8GB Basic model with only 2 or so left to fit anything on.
Old November 20 2012, 05:33 PM   #21
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Well Neogaf are stating its not 5 gig and they are usually on the ball with this type of stuff........but any update over a gig down via wireless is scary when its got the chance of bricking your nice new system......i dont envy anybody having to do this....i would be bricking myself the whole time waiting for it. lol

Old November 20 2012, 06:35 PM   #22
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

There is a theory that it was taking so long because Nintendo's servers were getting hammered. So some were getting served OK some were taking forever.

Anyone got one who can say what it's actually like? Seen a lot of hyperbole about it being awesome but very little of actual real impressions of the system. I have a 32GB ordered, and I expect I will buy it at some point regardless but some of the stuff about it coming out is concerning. Such as accounts being locked to the system you sign up on and non-transferable.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 06:47 PM   #23
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Never nunderestimate Nintendo. They only time they ever "failed" was when they tried to compete directly with the competition with the Gamecube. When they unveiled the Wii people scoffed just as they are now and it absolutely destroyed the competition in terms of sales.

I don't think the Wii U will do quite as well as the Wii, as their focus have shifted slightly back onto the "core" market. But I sincerely doubt it's going to be a failure. Chances are it's going to be a cheaper option than Sony and MS's effort by the time they come out, so we'll see.

My money's on a Sony resurgence this gen. Microsoft look like they're dropping the ball a bit. But Nintendo are going to thrive whatever happens.
Old November 20 2012, 07:15 PM   #24
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

It's the silly things that bother me. I have no plan on buying games digitally so storage space is of no concern, yet it concerns me. I don't plan on owning multiple Wii Us so the ability to log on to multiple consoles and redownload stuff isn't a problem, yet I don't like it because it shouldn't be that way these days.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
Old November 20 2012, 08:37 PM   #25
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

If you don't want internal storage and aren't using too many online services then it should go just fine. Everyone who's got onto the game playing phase seems happy enough so far.
Old November 20 2012, 09:28 PM   #26
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

With the storage space being so low, it's a wonder why they aren't storing save files in a cloud. Save the files temporarily on the drive, upload them when you quit the game, then retrieve them when the game starts up again. Only problem is connectivity, so I'd be making it an option.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 09:33 PM   #27
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
With the storage space being so low, it's a wonder why they aren't storing save files in a cloud. Save the files temporarily on the drive, upload them when you quit the game, then retrieve them when the game starts up again. Only problem is connectivity, so I'd be making it an option.
They're apparently going to launch that in the future but it's not available any time soon. Though the idea is you can stick your own hard drive on up to 2tb. Though you'd probably have to work hard to get 27gb of saves on the premium version. Even 3.7gb of saves would be a lot. Don't think I have 3.7gb of saves on my Xbox after 6 years.
Old November 20 2012, 10:25 PM   #28
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

The system is fine, I guess? I only have Nintendoland, so I can't really say for sure whether or not I actually like the device for playing "normal" games. I'm surprised that the screen on the pad looks pretty good though.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 10:27 PM   #29
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Never nunderestimate Nintendo. They only time they ever "failed" was when they tried to compete directly with the competition with the Gamecube.
How quickly one forgets the Virtual Boy. That thing caused more people to go blind than cataracts.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 02:46 AM   #30
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Meh. Their new controller gimmick is pretty lame.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote