Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 18 2012, 10:22 PM   #31
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Re: Qesus?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post

Thing is, Q (as in de Lancie) is the only one in the Continuum who has any real interest in humanity. And since behaving in such a manner would be a bit out of character for him, well...
How do we know he was the only one?
Because it was mentioned every other time we saw another Q.

Besides, remember in Q Who Guinan comments that the other Q are "almost respectable." I don't know how many "almost respectable" people would try to manipulate a primitive species into worshipping them.
So what? Just because most Q are respectable during TNG does not mean that there could be no rogue Q in the Antiquity.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 03:02 AM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
There is absolutely nothing in the Bible which precludes the existence of aliens or any extraterrestrial life. Nowhere does it say that we are the only intelligent species in the universe. If aliens made contact with us right now, it wouldn't violate any tenet of my faith. I think most people would welcome it.
That was something that bothered me about the most recent version of V. The good-guy priest character seemed to feel that people had to choose between God and the Visitors and that never quite made sense to me. Why couldn't people believe in God and friendly aliens?
Old November 19 2012, 03:09 AM   #33
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Guess if they did the finger sex thing, Mary could've been a virgin.
Old November 19 2012, 03:32 AM   #34
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

How do we know he was the only one?
Because it was mentioned every other time we saw another Q.

Besides, remember in Q Who Guinan comments that the other Q are "almost respectable." I don't know how many "almost respectable" people would try to manipulate a primitive species into worshipping them.
So what? Just because most Q are respectable during TNG does not mean that there could be no rogue Q in the Antiquity.
Did Quinn take an interest in Humanity? And, since it's established Q can time travel (so we're lead to believe by Q), nothing precludes a Q from traveling back in time.

I stand corrected on my assumption you meant John DeLancie's Q and not just any Q.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 05:54 AM   #35
EmoBorg
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Guess if they did the finger sex thing, Mary could've been a virgin.
i came across this video and i found it interesting.

0:20
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 06:00 AM   #36
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
so we're lead to believe by Q.
I sometimes wonder about the extent of Q's powers, and their limits.

In 'Farpoint when Picard and company were placed on trial by Q, did he actually take them off the ship, or did it all happen in their minds? Put there by Q? When they "returned" to the battle bridge, O'Brien at the helm wasn't even aware that they had left the ship. So did they?

And if Q can put images and events into your mind, then his powers could be significantly less than they seem.

I'm not suggesting that Q is completely powerless, he can board a starship moving at warp, he can bring objects into existence (or take them from somewhere), he can move objects like asteroids, and moved the Enterprise light years to encounter the Borg.

But is he really omnipotent and omniscient? Or is it that most of what he does is a deception?

Last edited by T'Girl; November 19 2012 at 06:22 AM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 11:14 AM   #37
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I stand corrected on my assumption you meant John DeLancie's Q and not just any Q.
I meant just any Q.
Old November 19 2012, 11:49 AM   #38
AlDaja
Ensign

Not sure if it's been said, but the Trek lore has suggested Q, to have visited earth in the past. He was known as Loki in Norse mythology and as the "Father of Lies" to others. I would imagine that would make him less than a Jesus figure.
AlDaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 07:36 PM   #39
xortex
Commodore

GR's God thing has Jesus in it and questions the nature of God in relation to the devil/satan
and ultimate technology and reality. He could have been a rogue Metron or Organian. Or more specifically a member of a race produced by V'ger.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 07:46 PM   #40
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

AlDaja wrote: View Post
Not sure if it's been said, but the Trek lore has suggested Q, to have visited earth in the past. He was known as Loki in Norse mythology and as the "Father of Lies" to others. I would imagine that would make him less than a Jesus figure.
The truth can be twisted in 2000 years.
Old November 19 2012, 11:35 PM   #41
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

AlDaja wrote: View Post
The truth can be twisted in 2000 years.
You got that right.

T'Girl said:
I sometimes wonder about the extent of Q's powers, and their limits.

In 'Farpoint when Picard and company were placed on trial by Q, did he actually take them off the ship, or did it all happen in their minds? Put there by Q? When they "returned" to the battle bridge, O'Brien at the helm wasn't even aware that they had left the ship. So did they?
Exactly. So, did Q really take Picard to the real primordial ooze on prehistoric Earth? Memory Alpha specifically states it was Picard's "consciousness" and not his whole body that was transported. It also states Q and Quinn transported all of Voyager to the Big Bang.

Who knows?
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 12:38 AM   #42
jayrath
Fleet Captain

No.

Q could not have been Jesus. For one thing, Q is a fictitious late-20th century TV character, while Jesus was a real, historical figure of 2000 years ago; read Josephus and Pliny for evidence of this (the wildest naysayers deny even Jesus' historiocity). Also read the recent historical studies written by Prof. John Dominic Crossan.

Next question?
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 02:05 AM   #43
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
But is he really omnipotent and omniscient? Or is it that most of what he does is a deception?
Remember Quinn's warnings...despite how it may appear, the Q are NOT omnipotent.

As for "The God Thing"? I'm aware of it. And I don't care.

I don't even think that Q was the devil. Q is snarky and enjoys needling people, but he has never been outright evil. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Q has never lied to Picard (or anyone else), isn't that right? Satan, on the other hand, is literally the Father of Lies. Everything Satan does or says is a lie, or serves the cause of lies. Q doesn't do that.

And an excellent point re: SG-1. I never saw the ep in question (where Teal'c points out that the Goa'uld are incapable of compassion and benevolence and so could never impersonate Jesus), but now I think I want to. And Teal'c was right, BTW.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 02:45 AM   #44
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Yes and no.

Yes,
because if you recall the Q have known, seen, and done it all before. That's why Quinn wanted to die: there literally wasn't anything he hadn't done to cope with the, by that point, boredom of existence.

No, because
a) maybe he was just being metaphorical... After all, in the real world we have similar experiences to each other that we can all relate to but we haven't and haven't needed to have the EXACT same experience to understand. My boring day waiting at the DMV or broken heart over an ex doesn't have to be EXACTLY like yours.

b) Q as he was portrayed early on didn't seem like he'd have bothered THAT much...to invest 33 years into a "barbaric child race that had only by the 24th century began to be interesting?" He just popped in every now and again to satisfy curiosity and tip his toys in various directions.

Then again,
maybe he wouldn't have had to invest the whole time. For one thing, Jesus was MIA for a large part of his life, and for another, well, maybe most of his life as written by others, long after the fact, was embellished. Maybe Q popped in a few times here and there, and our ancestors filled in the rest because they saw they had something there..for the good of us all or just their prophesying self-interests.

...Would make for memorable television. But of course...in reality...Jesus Christ...

Is not John de Lancie. :P
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote