Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 17 2012, 10:04 PM   #691
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Flake wrote: View Post
Well I am looking forward to the season 3 thread where we will be back to normal
Oh boy, the phrase "famous last words" springs to mind!
Old November 18 2012, 01:20 AM   #692
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

If anyone can make the 4ft model look good, its CBS-D. I wonder what the 4ft model will look like in season 4?

Like this?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 01:33 AM   #693
NewHorizon
Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
If anyone can make the 4ft model look good, its CBS-D. I wonder what the 4ft model will look like in season 4?

Like this?
Not likely. CBS-D isn't the effects house for season 4, that would be HTV-Illuminate of the soon to be released Season 2. So yeah, if CBS-D doesn't come to find some way of managing the quality being produced by HTV-Illuminate, I'm guessing that the effects will once again be the step down we're seeing with Season 2.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 01:33 AM   #694
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Well I am looking forward to the season 3 thread where we will be back to normal
Be interesting to see how they handle the season cliffhanging two parters.

Do BOFW2 with season 3, Redemption 2 with 4?
Old November 18 2012, 02:45 AM   #695
Salinga
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Have we seen Mike Okuda comment on any of these concerns? I don't think he ever commented on the audio issues with season one.
Maybe he will comment here?
http://www.facebook.com/Michael.Denise.Okuda
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 02:55 AM   #696
mswood
Rear Admiral

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
This issue between the differing styles of work produced by Legato and Curry should be irrelevant. The work CBS D did for season 1 set the tone for the remastering process and that's what should be looked at as the benchmark for quality and continuity.

If the Enterprise doesn't look like this, Its being done wrong.
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_050.jpg
Actually though should it. The people working on this have stated more then a few times that they wished to respect the artistic choices of the people working on the show, there shop was just to put the material they created in the best possible light.

Now I freely admit, as the person who long ago mentioned that they were dreading Curry's influence (sorry but I really don't care for his motion control work), but it is his artistic style to do shots lite flat, and far less sharp then what can be done. Its his style.

The only problem is that if Curry is to blame (and we don't know if he is, it could easily be some combination, or the other company just sucking), I could honestly see them doing that style on his episodes, and then doing a sharper more Legato style on his episodes,a s that would in fact respect the artistic style done originally.

Now saying that I would always, always prefer Legato's style in every single damn episode that they work on. And CBS digital's first season does seem to favor that style, but that was also the style of ILM which did far more work for season one then either Legato or Curry. Or even both together.

I was very upset when Legato left Trek to became a major player with Digital Domain.
Old November 18 2012, 10:33 AM   #697
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ultimately outside of this thread and Trekcore comments I feel these VFX issues will go unnoticed.
Most likely.

I'll grant you the still shot of the green planet looks overly washed out, but watching the two recent trailers again I don't see any sign of this problem. The effects shots all look perfectly fine, with bold colors, lots of contrast and no obvious matte lines that I can see.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 01:19 PM   #698
NewHorizon
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
I'll grant you the still shot of the green planet looks overly washed out, but watching the two recent trailers again I don't see any sign of this problem. The effects shots all look perfectly fine, with bold colors, lots of contrast and no obvious matte lines that I can see.
The footage in the trailers have often been doctored up, have they not? I wouldn't trust them to be an accurate representation of what the blurays will actually look like.

There seems to be a lot of 'the actual blurays will look better than the screen shots' talk, yet any of the still screen shots from Season 1 looked just as good as the actual blurays. I get it, people are trying to be hopeful...but there comes a time when you have to face the reality of the situation. It just doesn't look as good.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 01:04 AM   #699
trekker670
Fleet Captain

More screencaps: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/15112...ls3.html#nov19
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 01:10 AM   #700
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I was trying not to believe it and thought a lot of the talk lately was people overreacting, but there are some photos in there where it looks like the DVD version is better than the Blu-Ray version, such as the first two sets of photos. That is concerning.

I was going to ask for Season 2 for Christmas (And probably will still do that) but I do wonder if anything is going to be done about this or if this is what we're getting.
Old November 20 2012, 01:15 AM   #701
Tosk
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
there are some photos in there where it looks like the DVD version is better than the Blu-Ray version, such as the first two sets of photos.
C'mon now, you have to be kidding. In what way is that blurry, pixelated shot of the Enterprise better than the new version? And what's wrong with the Dauphin shot?

I can totally understand some people being disappointed in the quality drop from season 1, but worse than the DVDs? Let's not get nuts here.

I really like that Samaritan Snare shot. The contrast/color settings are much more pleasing than the original.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 01:19 AM   #702
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
there are some photos in there where it looks like the DVD version is better than the Blu-Ray version, such as the first two sets of photos.
C'mon now, you have to be kidding. In what way is that blurry, pixelated shot of the Enterprise better than the new version? And what's wrong with the Dauphin shot?
Both of them had more color, especially the one with the Dauphin shot. It was almost like on the blu-rays they cleared it up, but made it look a little more bland, with barely any color. Of course this might be different actually watching the sets (And maybe trekcore got them reversed) but under the DVD column, it looks like that has been made up while the one on the right looks blurry.

It's the first two sets of pictures I wonder if they reversed it by mistake. That would make some sense too, especially since the bottom pictures the blu-ray enhancements do look pretty good.
Old November 20 2012, 01:30 AM   #703
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

I was trying not to believe it and thought a lot of the talk lately was people overreacting, but there are some photos in there where it looks like the DVD version is better than the Blu-Ray version, such as the first two sets of photos. That is concerning.
Better in what sense? Certainly not resolution. Are you looking at the thumbnails only, or did you look at the full resolution images and compare them? The DVD versions have composite dot crawl, chroma noise and rainbow effects, black horizontal blanking interval bars on the left or right, etc. They're a mess!

The criticism of HTV is getting a bit ridiculous if people are starting to proclaim the DVD versions as better or superior. I mean, let's keep some perspective here.
Old November 20 2012, 01:47 AM   #704
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Better in what sense? Certainly not resolution. Are you looking at the thumbnails only, or did you look at the full resolution images and compare them? The DVD versions have composite dot crawl, chroma noise and rainbow effects, black horizontal blanking interval bars on the left or right, etc. They're a mess!

The criticism of HTV is getting a bit ridiculous if people are starting to proclaim the DVD versions as better or superior. I mean, let's keep some perspective here.
I was looking at the thumbnails, but when I looked at the bigger image, it looked somewhat better. I still think there was more color on the DVD version but I don't represent many people comparing the DVDs to the Blu-Rays. It was just my first thought looking at them. I also believe I said that the images would be a lot better once we get the sets.

Also, I think I've been more than grateful for what CBS Digital is doing here so forgive me if I had a slight criticism.
Old November 20 2012, 02:25 AM   #705
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

I was looking at the thumbnails, but when I looked at the bigger image, it looked somewhat better. I still think there was more color on the DVD version but I don't represent many people comparing the DVDs to the Blu-Rays. It was just my first thought looking at them. I also believe I said that the images would be a lot better once we get the sets.

Also, I think I've been more than grateful for what CBS Digital is doing here so forgive me if I had a slight criticism.
I didn't mean to disregard all of what you've said on the subject (frankly I'm not keeping score), just reacting to that exact post you made comparing the Blu-ray caps unfavorably to the DVD ones. And indeed -- just as I suspected -- you were basing your criticism on thumbnails.

The praise for CBS Digital has been pretty much universal. It's HTV (Illuminate Hollywood) whose work seems to not be quite as polished. I assume that's what you meant to write.