Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 19 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I'm back

I haven't posted for about three months because, back in August, for various reasons, I started to feel my life was worthless and that I wasn't contributing to society at all. I decided I needed to do something to rectify this and felt I was wasting too much time online.

I updated my resume and started to look for part-time work. I applied for several jobs but I was told that I had been out of the library industry for too long so I started to look at the possibility of going back to studying and upgrading my diploma to an advance diploma. I also made a few inquiries about doing some volunteer work.

I also decided that I needed to exercise more and as walking is good for arthritis I decided to try and walk at least 10 km a week.

About 6 weeks ago I started to feel more pain than usual in my left leg. I put it down to a flare up of my knee arthritis. Then I started to feel pain in right leg. I do have arthritis in my right knee but it is mild and doesn't really bother me much. About two weeks ago the pain became so severe that I couldn't sleep at night so I went to the doctor and he ordered a cat scan. Yesterday I learnt that the cat scan showed that I now have arthritis of the spine.

I am starting physiotherapy on Thursday and my doctor has referred me to the Orthopaedics Clinic. He has listed the appointment as being semi-urgent so I should have an appointment within 6 weeks. The doctor said I might need cortisone injections or maybe even spinal fusion. I cannot take NSAIDs because they have a serious effect on my asthma.

As a result of this I have put my job seeking on hold. Last night I made a list of what I have done with my life. Though I have only done paid work for about 8 years of my life I work out I have done about twice as much volunteer work. I have been on a disability pension for the last 6 years. If I count the volunteer work as being as worthy as paid work than maybe I did contribute more than I first thought.

Anyway I decided that spending time on the internet is probably good for my mental health (!!!) so I have come back to Trekbbs.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; November 19 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

Re: I'm back

I'm sorry you were feeling bad about yourself, and I'm glad you've come back. Hope the physical therapy helps.
Old November 19 2012, 11:11 PM   #3
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

We're glad to have you back!

Work isn't the only way one contributes. We contribute to our family and our friends and even by being a decent, kind person. I think, by that last definition, you have contributed a great deal.

Stick to your physiotherapy; it's always a good thing.
Old November 19 2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Glad you're back
Old November 19 2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Kestra
Vice Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
We're glad to have you back!

Work isn't the only way one contributes. We contribute to our family and our friends and even by being a decent, kind person. I think, by that last definition, you have contributed a great deal.

Stick to your physiotherapy; it's always a good thing.
She said it all. I'm glad that you are back and that you are working to improve your quality of life.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 11:24 PM   #6
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Welcome back Miss Chicken!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 11:28 PM   #7
teacock
Admiral

Welcome back Miss Chicken! I am sorry to hear about your health issues and I hope treatment is effective.

I know I periodically flee the internet (okay I put it down gently and walk slowly away) in a rush of trying to do more real world stuff. A perfect storm of shoulds pushes me into it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

One of the reasons I started to feel like I was wasting my time is that my best friend used to harp on about me spending too much time in front of the computer. Last night I phoned her up and after talking to her I worked out even three months ago I spent far less time on the computer than she spends watching TV/looking at DVDs. Plus, unlike her I have some hobbies and I read far more than she does.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 11:40 PM   #9
freakishdane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to freakishdane

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I haven't posted for about three months because, back in August, for various reasons, I started to feel my life was worthless and that I wasn't contributing to society at all.
For whatever it might be worth: I've missed you a lot. Plus, I think your contribution to the Trek-BBS community can be considered a great contribution to society
Anyway I decided that spending time on the internet is probably good for my mental health (!!!) so I have come back to Trekbbs.
Been there, done that, welcome back
Old November 19 2012, 11:41 PM   #10
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Welcome back, but I'm sorry to hear you think your life was worthless. If it was any consolation, even being on here is a contribution to society. You have a ton of great ideas and sharing that with the world is a very good thing.

I do understand though how you might feel. I've found my time here is mostly lurking now (With period of spurts here and there) because I am trying to focus more on what I want to do with my life. I too have had difficulty finding a job, but I am working part time as a Custodian at a school district. I find going someplace for work each day really helps me feel good about myself and makes life worth living.

Anyway, I hope things get better for you but don't feel bad about your life. Live it to the fullest, and make the best you can each and every day. Also, it's great to see you back.
Old November 19 2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

[HUGS] Miss Chicken.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 11:53 PM   #12
teacock
Admiral

One of the reasons I started to feel like I was wasting my time is that my best friend used to harp on about me spending too much time in front of the computer. Last night I phoned her up and after talking to her I worked out even three months ago I spent far less time on the computer than she spends watching TV/looking at DVDs. Plus, unlike her I have some hobbies and I read far more than she does.
I've had this exact same revelation with friends.

And you know I like being able to get right to the point of discussing my interests and ideas rather than all the filler that a lot of real life discussions seem full of.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 12:14 AM   #13
macghoul
I believe most sincerely

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macghoul

So glad to see you again, Miss Chicken. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, but I look forward to reading your posts. You bring a lot of good to our humble little board.
Old November 20 2012, 12:15 AM   #14
RoJoHen
Awesome

Miss Chicken, if ever there was someone I wouldn't put on a list of "people who haven't made worthy contributions to society," that would be you. You were gone for a week or two, and I'm pretty sure a "Where's Miss Chicken?" thread appeared at the top of Misc. Your absence was definitely noticed, and that has to say something about your worth. You may spend a lot of time in front of the computer, but "too much" is completely subjective.

Shameless appeared to be missing for a short while, too. I just assumed the two of you ran off to have a big gay affair.
Old November 20 2012, 12:33 AM   #15
sojourner
Admiral

I spent far less time on the computer than she spends watching TV/looking at DVDs. Plus, unlike her I have some hobbies and I read far more than she does.
Back when I still lived with my parents my mother used to get on me for spending too much time on the computer, until I pointed out how much time she spent reading trashy romance novels.