Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 19 2012, 05:05 AM   #16
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 Movie Discussion

I am a fan of the books. Don't ask me why. They appeal to the 15 year old buried inside me I guess. I was unsatisfied with the end of the book so I'm glad they changed it for the movie. I also have to say I don't think it was wrong of them to split the book into two. Really, it should have been 2 books. Hoping to see the movie next week.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah, the ending wasn't cop-out and not at all analogous to the "Emperor having a day dream" thing posted above.
Just because the filmmakers felt beholden to the source material (and maybe, contractually speaking, they were; who knows) doesn't mean the ending twist wasn't a copout.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 07:50 PM   #18
Relayer1
Commodore

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Maybe now we can finally put the Twilight crap-fest down once and for all...
You can't criticise Twilight when you have an Autobot logo under your name !

My wife loves Twilight and my son is a Transformers fanatic. I'm not fond of either, but I enjoyed Twilight 3 and 1 was OK. Which is more than I can say for any of the Transformers films or cartoons...

Last edited by Relayer1; November 19 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 08:13 PM   #19
Tom Riker
Lieutenant

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Maybe now we can finally put the Twilight crap-fest down once and for all...
You can't criticise Twilight when you have an Autobot logo under your name !

My wife loves Twilight and my sos is a Transformers fanatic. I'm not fond of either, but I enjoyed Twilight 3 and 1 was OK. Which is more than I can say for any of the Transformers films or cartoons...
As much money as these things made, I can't imagein there won't be sequels and that make me want to put a shotgun in my mouth
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 10:45 PM   #20
Dream
Admiral

I thought the final battle in the movie was awesome. I'm sure Meyer wished that she could have thought it her herself when she wrote the last book.

The final 'battle' in the novel would have been impossible to put on scene and not have it come off as ridicious. I'm just glad Meyer seemed to not have any problem with the changes. I'm sure as producer and author of the books, she could have told them no on the big action scene.
Old November 19 2012, 11:38 PM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Yeah, the ending wasn't cop-out and not at all analogous to the "Emperor having a day dream" thing posted above.
Just because the filmmakers felt beholden to the source material (and maybe, contractually speaking, they were; who knows) doesn't mean the ending twist wasn't a copout.
I suspect the only way they were "contractually" obligated to do the ending from the book was by the fans of the books. If they had really changed the ending of the movie from the books the fans probably would have been furious. Many were upset enough as it is.

And, sorry, I don't see how this "twist ending" was a cop-out.
Old November 19 2012, 11:45 PM   #22
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I might read the books some time, I've had a couple surprising people recommend them. I've never pursued it because vampires really are not my thing. I did see the first movie but all I remember is nice scenery and the awful jamming of baseball into it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 11:54 PM   #23
Dream
Admiral

I suspect the only way they were "contractually" obligated to do the ending from the book was by the fans of the books. If they had really changed the ending of the movie from the books the fans probably would have been furious. Many were upset enough as it is.

And, sorry, I don't see how this "twist ending" was a cop-out.
The movies have been extremely faithful to the novels almost to a fault, plenty of the lame and cheesy lines in the movies are lifted directly from the books. However, quite a few action scenes that were added to the movies were never shown in the books or actually never happened. This makes plenty of sense since movies are suppose to have more action.

I would have only considered it a copout if the battle had been completely meaningless and only there for eye candy, but it wasn't. In the movie, was one of the main reasons Aro decided to do what he did at the end. It enhanced the movie for quite a few people I think.

Also the writers did a great job having everyone stay in character during the 'battle' in the movie. Lots of great moments from the good vampires, the wolves, and the Volturi. I heard many cheers, laughter, and shocked reactions from the people I was watching with. I'm sure plenty of Twihards almost died of a heart attack while watching it!
Old November 20 2012, 02:41 AM   #24
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the battle was really done and I was actually shocked and but saddened when Carlisile died during that battle, felt for Alice when she avenged Jasper it was very well done battle scene and I thought the ending worked very well. And it did "mean" something as it was more proof to Aro and Volturi that they're were pursuing a lost cause in going after Renessme and the Cullens. It would only ending in Aro's "death" along with the "death" of many other of the Volturi.

I do think Michael Sheen's acting, tongue flicking and so-forth was vastly over the top. I don't know why he's being so lauded by reviews between this movie and his small roles in the other ones. Hell I'll take Kristen Stewart's bland, "Ummmm.... Line?" acting over Michael Sheen's scenery gluttony any day.
Old November 20 2012, 03:05 AM   #25
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
I have absolutely no interest in Twilight, movies or novels, but from what Trekker described I have to give them credit for actually a really well done twist. How is it a copout?
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 05:50 AM   #26
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

I can't speak for those who think it's a copout, because obviously I don't think it is, but I suppose it proceeds, without benefit of argument I might add, that in order for it to not be a copout, it has to be a real battle and not just a vision.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 02:33 PM   #27
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Hmm, but if the actual goal of Our Heroes is to resolve things diplomatically/without violence, wouldn't this actually be a case of creatively meeting the goal they had all along?
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 03:49 PM   #28
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I guess you're right. And I suppose I should be glad narrative tricks of this sort are being done in Twlight rather then, say, X-Men.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote