Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 15 2012, 06:03 PM   #1051
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Ship Polaris

Looks pretty clean to me, although there are a number of parts missing like the lander modules, the maneuvering thrusters and various greebles. I assume those were deliberately left out of the rendering for some reason. From what I can see, the panel lines appear to be smoothed coorectly. Did they come in that way or did you have to tweak them?
Old November 15 2012, 07:19 PM   #1052
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I worked that out based on our discussions here - very high smoothing for most surfaces, with low or no smoothing for the trenches.

It's a very efficient way of doing things, but frankly requires more detailed planning in the modeling process than I'm used to. Now that I know it, I have managed to put it to work on some of the new detailing for Saladin, though.

After converting it I'm surfacing and reassembling the model a few parts at a time. So there are many missing parts right now.

I'm working on getting a little "plasma" thing going for the drive spheres.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 07:35 PM   #1053
Vektor
Rear Admiral

You know what I thought would cool for those drive spheres, just a hint of a boiling water effect. If I recall Aridas' original concept correctly, there were supposed to be swarms of artificial singularities winking in and out of existence inside the spheres. I even thought of taking some video of a pot of boiling water to create an animated texture for them, probably combined with some plasma or energy streamer effects, but I never got around to it.
Old November 15 2012, 08:37 PM   #1054
Redfern
Commodore

Kind of a quantum lava lamp?

I know; I know. What you describe is far more energetic, but that was the thing thing that popped into my mind when reading your post.

Seriously, that would be a d*mn wicked effect if realized.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 03:10 AM   #1055
Vektor
Rear Admiral

There's a scene in the script where the engineering section appears in the background of an on-screen communication, so I decided to see what I could come up with design-wise. With apologies to Aridas Sofia for once again diverging from his original design, here's my take on what the main engineering section might look like in cross-section:

There are several important things going on here:

I've located engineering further toward the aft end of the ship, closer to the main engines and the aft "toroidal loop interconnect." Early on I posited a large ring or loop within the saucer that intersects the connecting conduit between the drive spheres at two points. I had the vague idea that this loop is the main component of a toroidal fusion reactor for generating most of the ship's power, and that it is also connected directly to the FTL drive system. There would also be a power distribution manifold located dead center of the central sphere between the tips of the two lander modules, branching out at the four 45 degree angles as suggested by the details on the outer hull. And, of course, there would be another toroidal loop interconnect toward the front of the ship. All of this started from Aridas' original concepts and cross-sections, but I've taken some considerable creative license with it to try to reconcile all of the exterior modeling work.

I'm taking advantage of some of the space outside the central fuselage for various purposes. Engineering extends into the main engine pylons to port and starboard and also into the saucer area both ventral and dorsal. I've also modified the original concept of zero-gee transit tubes. Instead of two staggered shafts within the fuselage, I'm using four just outside the fuselage where it intersects with the saucer. Two of these tubes are elevator lifts and the other two are switchback gangways. Given that this ship has the ability to land on its tail on a planet's surface, I thought these made more sense. They would be easier to build and film as practical sets, should the opportunity ever arise. And they're no longer taking up valuable space within the fuselage.

This isn't absolutely final, but I'm fairly happy with the direction it's headed.
Old November 17 2012, 04:49 AM   #1056
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I like this, but I think I should send you a temp composite that Maurice did to give you a sense of how the shot's laid out and what we need to be going on in that angle.
Old November 17 2012, 05:01 AM   #1057
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I actually have an email half-written asking for exactly that. I look forward to seeing it.
Old November 17 2012, 09:40 PM   #1058
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Vektor wrote: View Post
I actually have an email half-written asking for exactly that. I look forward to seeing it.
Dennis: send an email to Vektor and me and I can send him reference for just about anything he needs.

As I recall, we discussed steering hard to port from anything that looked like a Star Trek type warp core/intermix/shaft.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 07:31 AM   #1059
Vektor
Rear Admiral

So I started working on some design ideas for the engineering section, using an actual greenscreen background plate (or foreground plate in this case) from the production. This was my first concept, derived from the earlier cross-sectional sketch, with a heavy dose of Trek warp core/intermix shaft thrown in:

As it turns out, the Trek overtones were not what Dennis and the gang wanted to go with for this, which was fine. I'm nothing if not adaptable. This morning I sat down and started working on round two, blending in some elements from an unused Forbidden Planet set they had been using as a temporary backdrop, and generally trying to get away from the central warp core look. I took screen shots throughout the day and thought I'd go ahead and post the progress so far for your viewing enjoyment. This design hasn't been approved yet so it's likely some changes will be in order, perhaps even another concept entirely, but it's going to make a good addition to my portfolio either way.

And finally, here's a version that's been cropped to something more like they would actually use for this particular shot:

Please note that this had only progressed to the underpainting stage with nearly all of the original linework still visible. To fully complete this, I would do a further paintover, removing the linework entirely and polishing the entire piece extensively. I think this is about as far as I'm taking it at the moment, however, until I get some official feedback.
Old November 19 2012, 08:17 AM   #1060
sojourner
Admiral

Is that a binary clock from Thinkgeek on that set piece?

Oh, great art as usual Vektor!
Old November 19 2012, 09:17 AM   #1061
Maurice
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Is that a binary clock from Thinkgeek on that set piece?

Oh, great art as usual Vektor!
It's a modified TIX clock. There's always been some plans to overpaint the console face and make some of those quickly-added plant-ons look more integrated. In fact, the metal pipes coming out of the console are paint-ins I did as a test.
Old November 19 2012, 03:29 PM   #1062
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I like this. This is basically it.

The monitor designs carrying over from the Command Deck set help sell it as stylistically similar to the rest of the ship.
Old November 19 2012, 06:57 PM   #1063
dayxday1000
Lieutenant Commander

Is that a Star Trek: Enterprise communicator stuck on the console?
dayxday1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 08:34 PM   #1064
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I was struck by something in this image:

At first glance, you don't see the arch and the ceiling structure, making the room seem more open and expansive. I rather like that effect and I think I'm going to try to do something more with it. I'm not getting rid of the arch but I may try to widen it a little or possibly create openings in the spaces between the girders.

I'm also trying a different configuration for the hub control stations based on some email exchanges that have been going on. Instead of the floating flat screens in a wrap-around arrangement, I'm doing something more like the control stations on the bridge, but I'm keeping the round gauge displays.

More updates later today.
Old November 19 2012, 08:57 PM   #1065
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I like seeing more of the ceiling.

Seeing how you've sketched in the portions of the figured out of camera range gives me an idea: why not have the kneeling guy NOT be kneeling, but have some open panels in the floor and he's standing down amongst all the pipes and crap under the floor (grillwork?) That way we could scale down the live action photography and see much more of the room. (This shot is our first look at this room, so it's a perfect place to go wider.)