New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old November 19 2012, 01:42 AM   #361
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: teacake does Stargate: punch it

Except System Lords don't produce Go'Auld Offspring that inherit their memories, they produce Human Offspring who inherit their memories (Like Daniel's son). The Queens produces the Symbiont Offspring, that inherit the Queen's memories

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old November 19 2012, 02:13 AM   #362
gturner
Admiral

That's true, although at times early on they were a lttle bit vague on fleshing that out. There were quite a few times when it was pretty obvious that a Goa'uld kept his "queen" out of the loop, and perhaps that would be a partial explanation.

We might be getting awfully close to some minor spoilers, though.
Old November 19 2012, 05:15 AM   #363
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

gturner wrote: View Post
That's true, although at times early on they were a lttle bit vague on fleshing that out. There were quite a few times when it was pretty obvious that a Goa'uld kept his "queen" out of the loop, and perhaps that would be a partial explanation.

Old November 19 2012, 06:23 AM   #364
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I'm skipping all those nice replies because I have a feeling there's something spoilerish in the discussion..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 19 2012, 06:40 AM   #365
gturner
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Teakcake, the spoiler are pretty minor, discussing minutae of what you mostly already know about Goa'uld reproduction, but the particulars of how the show introduced various tidbits are minor spoilers refering to seasons and episodes, knowledge of which could spoil a couple of pretty cool revelations, a bit like finding out that the Goa'uld were eating their offspring in "Summit."

But as minor compensation, I confidently assert that two Goa'uld system lords were entirely responsible for the form of music known as "disco", and rap comes from a collaboration of Nihrti feat. Imhotep.
Old November 19 2012, 11:21 AM   #366
teacake
Admiral

Oh well thank you for telling me! (About the spoilers being minor). I will finish reading the thread. I'm actually unable to watch Stargate tonight because of visitors

Damn them all!

Maybe I can get the visitors to watch the pilot.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 19 2012, 06:41 PM   #367
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Fun fact: "2010" is the episode that gives Walter a first name. A previous episode had the name "Harriman" stitched on his uniform, though, so maybe he was borrowing someone's that day...
Old November 19 2012, 09:26 PM   #368
teacake
Admiral

Well how is he going to do any laundry when he's forever dialing?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 20 2012, 02:29 AM   #369
The Wormhole
Admiral

Oh boy, Walter's name. I warn you, this post is going to draw on some stuff from coming seasons. Nothing spoilery, but still.

Originally, the character had no name, was referred to only as "Technician" in the scripts and credits. However, his name said "Davis" so naturally, it was assumed his last name was Davis. There was an episode in season 1 where Hammond referred to him as "Airman" though there were many fans who thought he said "Harriman" and believed that to be his name. Eventually, in 2010 he's called Walter, making it seem at this point his name is Walter Davis.

Then in season 5 he begins wearing a flightsuit on duty with a name tag that includes first and last names, which identifies him as Norman Davis.

In season 8 the character's role expands, and they finally decide to start referring to him by name in the scripts (prior to this he was still just "Technician" in the scripts). Of course, someone realizes the problem with his name. It's already decided they'll stick with Walter for the first name, that's what was used in dialogue and therefore noticed by a larger percentage of the audience.

Unofortunately, they can't use the last name Davis, since there is or at least was at that time an actual Walter Davis serving in the US Air Force. And since he's the only Walter Davis in the Air Force there is some sort of legality that means TV shows/movies can't feature someone in the Air Force named that. If there had been two guys named Walter Davis in the USAF, they would have been allowed. Star Trek ran into a similar problem with one of the first names originally chosen for Captain Archer, they couldn't use it because there was only one person registered with that name in the US, and there needs to be either no one or a minimum of two.

So since they can't use Davis they remember back when a lot of people misheard the word Airman and thought his name was Harriman and decide they might as well go with that. And from season 8 onward the character is named Walter Harriman, and eve wears a name tag which says Harriman.
Old November 20 2012, 02:34 AM   #370
teacake
Admiral

So it seems he really is not going home and just changing into stuff he finds in lost property.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 20 2012, 02:35 AM   #371
gturner
Admiral

The Russians solved that problem by visiting a water planet and attaching their laundry to the inner ring of the stargate, then dialing inactive addresses for about 45 minutes. Walter should've done the same, taking time to visit the cafeteria for some delicious Fruit Loops or porridge.

One thing I wish the show would've had more fun with was alien foods and Earth foods, with our people reacting to new spices and dishes and visitors commenting on various things we make, perhaps swapping ingredients (herbs and food crops) and recipes as part of a cultural exchange. Then you'd have people in Area 51 whose job is pretending they discovered some new spice on an expedition to the Amazon rain forest or the African Congo. Meanwhile people like the Tolan would be negotiating for the Colonel's secret recipe for KFC.
Old November 20 2012, 02:38 AM   #372
teacake
Admiral

The Russians solved that problem by visiting a water planet and attaching their laundry to the inner ring of the stargate, then dialing inactive addresses for about 45 minutes. Walter should've done the same, taking time to visit the cafeteria for some delicious Fruit Loops or porridge.
Apparently on the Greenpeace ship the Sea Shepherd they do the laundry by dragging their clothes behind the ship in nets.

Nice salty cleanness results.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 20 2012, 03:25 AM   #373
DWF
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Well how is he going to do any laundry when he's forever dialing?
Well he has admitted to not wearing socks in one commentary. And being the chervon guy it's possible he worked at a Chervon station in the past.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old November 20 2012, 03:40 AM   #374
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Apparently on the Greenpeace ship the Sea Shepherd they do the laundry by dragging their clothes behind the ship in nets.

Nice salty cleanness results.
Hmmm, I'd be concerned about sensitive parts getting chafed, with not rinsing out the salt

Old November 20 2012, 10:52 AM   #375
teacake
Admiral

Menace: Daniel you twat if she looked like a gigantic replicator bug you wouldn't be crying like that.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne