The Vampire Diaries - Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kosh Naranek, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Discuss.

I think this is the first thread I have ever started on the BBS. Hooray! :razz:

2. js

js Captain Captain

Are you going to put a spoiler warning up as people will no doubt be discussing plot points? :)

When the best moments of the season so far are cameos by non-regulars (Alaric, Elijah), it's a bit concerning. :p

Oh, actually, I take that back, I do like the actor they cast as the professor who took over Bonnie's gram's class. I liked him in The Tudors and recognized him immediately.

But I hope the hunter's character gets better as he's boring so far. Though it might finally give poor Jeremy something to do after a few seasons of well, nothing.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've enjoyed it so far. I like the stuff with the new hunter and the five seem intriguing. Vampire Elena has been pretty good so far too IMO.

4. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

tonite's ep was a mess. This season the show wants to do something then immediately undo it--kill Klaus--revive him, have Klaus leave town, return the next ep, have Klaus inside tyler then out of his head, bonnie's powers gone and then back tonite, love triangle angst resolved in season finale but back next ep once elena is a vampire, damon/stefan friends then back at it then friends, jeremy leaves town then returns to be a boring cypher, april attacked by connor memory erased then kidnapped by connor memory erased, rebekah on ice then rebekah alive then rebekah on ice then revived then back on ice etc etc etc

It guts the whole point of what initially seems like a dramatic plot development since nothing is done with it before it is undone--pretty pointless.

And hallucinations need to be eschewed as a tv staple--I'm tired of it as a storytelling device. Oh yeah then we have more pointless romantic spatting with Caroline, wolfgirl and Tyler--yawn--teenage girls might find this endlessly fascinating but I find it tedious and repetitive and shallow. how long until they make up

5. js

js Captain Captain

^ Part of what I've always liked about this show is how quickly it moves - a plotline that would take half a season on any other show takes one ep or two on TVD.

That said, I've rarely been able to emotionally invest in the storyline (or have any inclination to rewatch epsiodes) due to this swift pace. So it's a dual-edged sword.

But one of the other things I also like about the show is it's ability to surprise me and make me literally gasp aloud "oh no they didn't?!!!". Last night's ep fortunately had one of those moments (Elena and the hunter), which reminded me why I stick with the show even when other parts (the love "drama") can be less interesting.

6. Kosh Naranek

How do I do that? I know how to edit a post but not the title. I will research and fix that. - I cannot find a way to edit the title.

I am tired of the main triangle angst.

I like Joseph Morgan as an actor but Klaus should have died last season. The hybrid story has carried on too long.

The originals still interest me but they could really just have Elijah, Rebecca and Kol pop back in and out as needed.

7. js

js Captain Captain

You could also just edit your first post to say "Thar be spoilers ahead!" :)

As to the originals, even though I liked Joseph Morgan prior to TVD, I felt Klaus never lived up to his potential. Though I do admit a fondness to his scenes with Caroline.

Elijah has always been by far the best of the lot but I think the actor is a regular on another show which is why we don't get enough of him on TVD.

8. Kosh Naranek

So, are they setting up Silas to be bigger, better and badder?

Bonnie's teacher man has a cool first name and hidden agenda.

I cannot seem to edit my posts. hmm....

9. js

js Captain Captain

Yeah, sounds like Silas could be the "big bad" they were warned was coming.

And I'm a fan of David Alpay's (the professor) so I'm glad to see his character arc extending. Though he's playing such a smarmy bad guy that I'm looking forward to seeing Bonnie inevitably taking him down!

Also glad Jeremy is getting something to do. And Matt too.

Though Jeremy just chopping at the hybrid at Caroline's command was brutal. Especially as Caroline knows what the other hybrids mean to Tyler. Not sure that really worked for me.

10. Kosh Naranek

That was pretty cold and off. Surely they could have found someone else to brutally murder? I did not like them flipping a coin and randomly killing some poor kid just to do let's save Elena plot #4566.

11. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

I was going to try to stick it out but last night's episode just drove home for me how really crappy the show is now and was last year.

The only thing in terms of character development this show delivers anymore is romantic angst--which I could care less about. And I couldn't be any more tired of the hallucination of characters berating and psychoanalyzing a character. And Jeremy turning out to be a hunter--can anyone say contrivance. April is as useless a character as ever. Klaus too.

The first two years were the show's best after that it came off the rails--I think it had to do with Julie Plec taking over and Kevin Williamson having less of an influence.

12. js

js Captain Captain

This, but I still stick with it as there are still good moments between the angst.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't planning on watching this episode, but when I saw that Connor was on it, I changed my mind. While I generally hate TV episodes that take place in a character's mind, I did like how they found an interesting way to bring Connor back one more time. It was also great seeing Katherine again.

It sucks that that young hybrid got ashed by Jeremy after helping free Elena, but I knew Klaus wasn't going to let him go. Not feeling the occult professor but I am glad they are moving the story along with the looming evil, which I also assume is going to be Silas.

I wish that Matt had been made the vampire hunter instead of Jeremy. Jeremy is already a ghost whisperer. It's time Matt got to be more involved with all the supernatural stuff without becoming a supernatural creature himself.

I wonder where they are going with April. If she asks about Rebekah one more time. Sheesh. At first I was glad there was another 'normal' person in the cast, but the show is spinning its wheels getting her into the mix.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll admit, at times I've noticed some of that too, but I think overall it's made sense in context, and has worked perfectly fine.
    I can't complain to much about this storyline since it means we get more Phoebe Tonkin on a fairly regular basis.:drool:
    I'm wondering if Professor Shane is Silas.
    Yeah, agreed. They were seeming to struggle to find stuff for them to do for a while.
    Yeah, I was surprised they just did that without any real impact on the characters other than Tyler.

15. Kosh Naranek

So Elena is sired to Damon? :rolleyes:

The only thing that keeps me going is the promise of more Elijah.

Plus, I must admit that I find the professor a little intriguing. I miss Connor.

16. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Originals made this show worth watching again...Klaus & Rebekah are great and cannot wait to see what will happen with April. :)

- I want something important to happen with April and not be "food". :rommie:

17. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Phoebe Tonkin is an Australian?

Nobody tells me anything.

She's the bad kind of sexy.

It's going to be amazing, but you'll wake up and she's taken your car and/or your kidneys.

It was weird watching Cordelia and Angel draw closer together until I became invested and then Charisma punched Joss in the face who landed on his ass and fired the poor slim thing... Whereafter I was denied a happily ever after that I never even wanted until they MADE ME!

This will be more of the frakking same.

19. js

js Captain Captain

I like Joseph Morgan but short of his scenes with Caroline, and the glorious character of Elijah, the Originals have been 1000% useless and I will be very happy if they all depart (except Elijah) to a different show so they stop making TVD so dull every time they're onscreen!

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I might give it a chance, but I'm not going to expect anything amazing.