Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 18 2012, 01:14 AM   #331
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

I think the misspellings are due to GNP getting the track names from the cue list for the episodes, where they were misspelled and hand-written.

The producers of this set took their cue titles from the score manuscripts, I believe.

I suspect Disc 4 will start with the remainder of the season 1 episode scores, and maybe start and end with the "Remastered" main and end title re-recordings for season 1.

Disc 5, I predict, will be the library cues recorded for season 1, as well as other odds and ends, some of which have never been heard.

Then seasons 2 and 3 would follow the same general pattern.

What is clear is that there was attention paid to the listening experience in arranging the CD contents.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 01:53 AM   #332
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
All that's left in season 1 are "The Conscience of the King" by Joseph Mullendore, "Shore Leave" by Gerald Fried, and "The City on the Edge of Forever" by Steiner
Oh, and a little something called "The Enemy Within".

Neil
Old November 18 2012, 02:07 AM   #333
Christopher
Writer

Oh, whoops! How could I forget "The Enemy Within?" I didn't check the list in The Music of ST carefully enough.

So yeah, that's four scores remaining, three of which were fairly complete or at least moderately long. (The "Shore Leave" release on GNP's Volume 3 is 17:47 worth of music.) I don't think they can all fit on Disc 4. Probably Disc 5 will have at least one episode score plus the extras.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 02:20 AM   #334
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

I love The Enemy Within! Before I had the audio, I was sent scans of all of the documentation and I choked up when I saw the boxes for this score.

Neil
Old November 18 2012, 02:47 AM   #335
Christopher
Writer

^Oh, definitely. It's one of my greatest regrets that Sol Kaplan only scored two TOS episodes. His work was fantastic.

(One of my other greatest regrets, if anyone's interested, is that "A Piece of the Action" was stuck with a stock score. Just imagine if Fielding or Fried, say, had gotten to do a full, jazzy original score for that one.)

Old November 18 2012, 06:42 AM   #336
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

I keep thinking I'm going to have to look this stuff up but now I'm starting to think "Oh, Chris will have done that already."

So, Corbomite was the first produced, right? But it open with Kaplan's fanfare, doesn't it? (I'm making that assumption based on the fact that it is part of Label X's recording of The Enemy Within and it open The Doomsday Machine as well.) So how much later was that recorded? I'm trying to figure out the rhyme and reason of what was recorded when vs. what was used when. Whacky I tells ya.

I'm astounded at how short some of these (to me) "definitive" scores are. Corbomite is only 7 minutes? Balance of Terror is Five?

Just give me Hideous Balok and I'm happy. ('Cause it's also the music used for the Guardian of Forever.) Oh, and all of Charlie X.

BTW, terrific way to roll out the track listings. It's truly an event.
Old November 18 2012, 10:49 AM   #337
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'm pretty sure the reason some of the scores are short is because only the original content is being included, not music lifted from other episodes.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 04:05 PM   #338
Christopher
Writer

Tallguy wrote: View Post
So, Corbomite was the first produced, right? But it open with Kaplan's fanfare, doesn't it? (I'm making that assumption based on the fact that it is part of Label X's recording of The Enemy Within and it open The Doomsday Machine as well.) So how much later was that recorded? I'm trying to figure out the rhyme and reason of what was recorded when vs. what was used when. Whacky I tells ya.
A lot of episodes spent longer in post-production than others due to their visual-effects requirements. "Corbomite" had some pretty elaborate optical shots, requiring three new miniatures and a lot of composite space shots, so that must have delayed its completion. I'd assume that scoring was one of the last stages of post-production, coming after the effects were in. So by the time "Corbomite" was ready for scoring, there was already a fair-sized library of stock cues available to track it with.

DonIago wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure the reason some of the scores are short is because only the original content is being included, not music lifted from other episodes.
Well, that goes without saying, doesn't it? Of course those cues are included with the episodes they were recorded for. No point in duplicating anything. Tallguy's point is that it's surprising how little original music some of these "definitive" episodes had in them.

Old November 18 2012, 05:25 PM   #339
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

That wasn't clear to me from what Tallguy said, but if that was his meaning, fair enough.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 06:12 PM   #340
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

There's a preview up at trekcore.com with 5 tracks from various episodes. More sample tracks will apparently be published in the coming days. Those two fight themes rock! :-)

http://www.trekcore.com/merchandise/...rackintro.html
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 06:43 PM   #341
KirkPicard
Captain

Anticipated some samples and these are indeed outstanding! Even more so solidifies this purchase.
Old November 18 2012, 07:23 PM   #342
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

SEASON 1, DISC 4

The Enemy Within
Music Composed and Conducted by Sol Kaplan
Episode #5, Recorded 9/14/66
Aired #5, 10/6/66

1. The Rock Slide*/Beam Up*/The Evil Kirk M11/M12/M13 1:11
2. Alter Ego* M14 1:00
3. The Tired Captain* M15 0:42
4. Brandy M16 0:48
5. The Lascivious Captain M17–21 2:37
6. Bruised Knuckles/An Impostor M22/M23 1:34
7. Kirk’s Log*/Indecisive/Evil Fury M24/M31/M32 2:47
8. Confrontation M33 2:17
9. The Prone Body*/Shivering Sulu*/No Repair M34–41/M42/M43 0:37
10. What to Do?* M44 0:42
11. Another Brandy/The Evil Grin/Double Dog Death* M45/M46/M51 1:24
12. Spock Takes Over*/Help Me* M52/M53 2:03
13. Evil Triumphs M54–61 1:05
14. Two Into One* M62 2:18
15. One Captain Kirk*/Thank You, Yeoman* M63/M64 1:19

Total Time: 22:58

*Contains “Theme From Star Trek (TV Series)” by Alexander Courage and Gene Roddenberry

The Conscience of the King
Music Composed and Conducted by Joseph Mullendore
Episode #13, Recorded 11/2/66
Aired #13, 12/8/66

16. Dagger Sweet’ner/Go for Baroque/Play-Off #1 M11A/M11/M12 1:26
17. Spaceship Titles*/Dr. Leighton’s Face/Bridge #1* M13/M14/M15 1:11
18. Quasi-Sex* (Theme From Star Trek, jazz version; Courage/Roddenberry, arr. Mullendore) LM5 1:37
19. Lenore M16–21 1:45
20. Kirk and Lenore*/He’s Dead M22/M23 1:42
21. Spaceship*/5 Sex and a ½/Play-Off #2* M24/M25/M26 1:10
22. Spaceship Play-On*/Toast and Corridor*/Lenore’s Kiss/Short Bridge M27/M31/M32/M33 2:31
23. Beyond Antares (Wilbur Hatch; vocal: Nichelle Nichols) MV1R 2:36
24. Poison M41 0:37
25. Play-On #2*/Quick Ship*/Phaser Overload M42/M43/M44 1:39
26. Kodos?/Voice Test M45/M46 1:33
27. Everything Is Later*/Play-Off #3* M51/M52 1:52
28. Ship Play-On*/Woodwind Fanfare/Reilly Gone M53/M54/M55 1:09
29. Go for Baroque M11 (M56) 1:25
30. I Know That Voice/All Ghosts Dead M57/M58–61 3:02
31. Opheliamania*/Bridge #2*/Last Cue* M62/M63/M64 3:01

Total Time: 28:51

*Contains “Theme From Star Trek (TV Series)” by Alexander Courage and Gene Roddenberry

Shore Leave
Music Composed and Conducted by Gerald Fried
Episode #17, Recorded 12/2/66
Aired #15, 12/29/66

32. New Planet/Rabbit Music M10A/10B 2:21
33. School Chum/Finnegan M23/M23A 1:40
34. 2nd Ruth (Ruth) M31A 2:38
35. Old English/Tiger/Costume/Birds/Samurai M33/M33A/M33B/M34/M34A 3:51
36. Knight/Joust M41/M41A 1:27
37. Dummy/Like Real M43/M44 0:56
38. A Clue/Finnegan’s Return/The Leg Trick/Dirt Trick M45–50 Pt. 1/M45–50 Pt. 2/M51/M53 4:34
39. Tiger Thoughts/Strafing/2nd Samurai/Caretaker/Lazarus M55–60/M55–60A/M55–60B/M61/M62 2:02
40. 2nd Ruth/Ruth to Commercial (2nd Ruth) M31A/M24B 0:49

Total Time: 20:34

Total Disc Time: 72:36

Neil
Old November 18 2012, 07:29 PM   #343
Christopher
Writer

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
There's a preview up at trekcore.com with 5 tracks from various episodes. More sample tracks will apparently be published in the coming days. Those two fight themes rock! :-)

http://www.trekcore.com/merchandise/...rackintro.html
Ooh, more interior art at the link too, and a look at the liner notes. Okay, so "City on the Edge" will be on Disc 5, so I take it that means "Enemy Within," "Conscience," and "Shore Leave" will be on Disc 4. And yes, there is a page giving Mullendore's and Fried's bios together.

Ohh, my, and look at the information on those last couple of liner note pages! We get our first listing of library cues (from Season 2, Disc 3) -- and I hope there's some explanation of why cues from second-season episodes would be re-recorded as library cues within the second season, since that seems kind of redundant to me. (Maybe to change their beginnings/endings so they'd stand alone better?) And here's the big prize, credits for the "Way to Eden" songs! "Songs by Arthur Heinemann, Charles Napier, and Craig Robertson, Music Director: Wilbur Hatch." I'm surprised Hatch was still around after Paramount acquired Desilu.

And Courage did the Orion dance from "Whom Gods Destroy?" That's surprising. The credits for that episode said "Theme Music by Alexander Courage, Additional Music by Fred Steiner," so I've always assumed the dance was by Steiner.

Awesome that all the audio samples there are previously unreleased. Some great stuff there -- I've always loved Duning's "Metamorphosis" score. But the revelation there was Steiner's "Battle Music" from "Elaan of Troyius." I've always loved it, but hearing it in the clear for the first time, it's amazing how much grandeur and power and cinematic richness it has. It totally blew me away. I have to wonder if it was mixed badly in the episode soundtrack, because so much of its texture seemed to be lost.

Old November 18 2012, 07:36 PM   #344
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Indysolo wrote: View Post
I love The Enemy Within!
You are not alone; I really love the cue heard when the horned dog/transporter test fails. I think part of that was used again in "City on the Edge of Forever" as Kirk declares his love for Edith/Spock telling him she must die.

Lovely, strong stuff!
Old November 18 2012, 07:40 PM   #345
Christopher
Writer

Oh, and Indysolo slipped in another listing ahead of my post. I was right about Disc 4's contents. Let's see...

"The Enemy Within" and "The Conscience of the King" have never had any of the original recordings released, but both were on Label X's Star Trek Volume 2 album from 1985, arranged into symphonic suites by Clyde Allen and performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Tony Bremner. Also there have been two album releases of versions of "Beyond Antares": an instrumental version on Leonard Nimoy's album Mr. Spock's Music from Outer Space, and a version sung by Nichelle Nichols on her album Out of This World.

Cues that have not previously had a version released include:

"Enemy Within":
Beam Up/The Evil Kirk
Brandy
The Lascivious Captain
Kirk’s Log
Evil Fury
Confrontation
The Prone Body/Shivering Sulu/No Repair
What to Do?
The Evil Grin
Spock Takes Over
Evil Triumphs
Two Into One
One Captain Kirk

"Conscience of the King":
Dagger Sweet’ner/Go for Baroque/Play-Off
Dr. Leighton’s Face/Bridge #1
Quasi-Sex (Theme From Star Trek, jazz version)
Kirk and Lenore/He’s Dead
Spaceship/5 Sex and a ½/Play-Off #2
Spaceship Play-On/Toast and Corridor
Short Bridge
Poison
Play-On #2/Quick Ship/Phaser Overload
Kodos?/Voice Test
Play-Off #3
Ship Play-On/Woodwind Fanfare/Reilly Gone
Go for Baroque
I Know That Voice/All Ghosts Dead
Bridge #2