New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 18 2012, 12:28 AM   #106
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

You also see the origin of the Mal and Zoe relationship, which if you didn't see it in the valley would make you wonder what was going on sometimes.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 11:53 AM   #107
lurok
Commodore

EP 2 - THE TRAIN JOB

Yee-ha! This was more what I was expecting Firefly to be. Faster-paced, funnier, sassier.

Inara: What did I say to you about barging in to my shuttle?
Mal: That it was manly and impulsive?
Inara: Yes, precisely. Only the exact phrase I used was "don't."

Can't comment much on plot because there really isn't much of one, though the maglev train heist was a nice riff on that old Western trope. And I'm still getting hints Book and Inara are more than they seem. Savant sister hasn't really begun to do anything yet, but from my distant memories of Serenity:The Movie she's clearly also due for some major character development. My only downsides so far: it's prob just me but I find the ship itself and a lot of the costumes aesthetically unpleasing (bar the Starship Troopers Fed uniforms ) And the drunk and crime boss were frakkin' awful. Baldwin was better this week but would still prefer Perlman
Old November 18 2012, 11:57 AM   #108
Skywalker
Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
EP 2 - THE TRAIN JOB
Yee-ha! This was more what I was expecting Firefly to be. Faster-paced, funnier, sassier.
I think lurok is a Fox executive.

"The Train Job" was pretty good considering it was literally written over a weekend.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 12:07 PM   #109
teacake
Admiral

The Train Job: First of all I'm going to say during this, my fourth Firefly rewatch, I'm suddenly thinking Wash is quite nice to look at. I had no real opinion of him during my other viewings but he is catching my eye.

And now.. this is something I've noticed a few times and if anyone suspects the answer and it's a spoiler you can spoiler space me here.

On the train we see someone in a burqa who is clearly a man. The camera zooms in on this person but then passes over them to the action but you can clearly see the man hands.

Later you see man hands burqa and a companion disembarking, wearing some distinctive shoes:

Companion burqa's legs also look masculine under the burqa lines.

One of my favorite things on Serenity is the ship's kitchen! I would love to have a kitchen like this, it's so rough and efficient.

And finally..

"This.. is an asspicious day."

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 18 2012, 12:10 PM   #110
teacake
Admiral

it's prob just me but I find the ship itself and a lot of the costumes aesthetically unpleasing
The outside of the ship is a big lumpy crap to look at IMO. But I love the inside. I love the worn out Blade Runner aesthetic where you have some super advanced tech but most of it is just making do stuff because the good stuff broke.

Skywalker wrote: View Post

"The Train Job" was pretty good considering it was literally written over a weekend.
That's interesting. Why was it written so quickly?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 18 2012, 12:20 PM   #111
Skywalker
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
When Whedon presented "Serenity" to Fox, they were less than impressed. They'd been expecting something lighter and snappier. So they commissioned a new script to air as a replacement for the real pilot, but Whedon and Tim Minear only had two days to deliver the script.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 12:31 PM   #112
lurok
Commodore

The outside of the ship is a big lumpy crap to look at IMO. But I love the inside.
yeah, it's the cg exterior I'm underwhelmed by. I love the steampunky interior decor.

When Whedon presented "Serenity" to Fox, they were less than impressed. They'd been expecting something lighter and snappier. So they commissioned a new script to air as a replacement for the real pilot, but Whedon and Tim Minear only had two days to deliver the script
Now I get the Fox joke. As I said earlier, I thought ep 1/pilot was a mess so I'd have carpeted Whedon too if I was a Fox exec. Which I'm not. But two days might explain why it's funnier but still little substance.
Old November 18 2012, 01:14 PM   #113
teacake
Admiral

Here's a little spoiler free video.. cracks me up to see Prime Spock at the end with the words "you can't take the sky from me" when Spock is watching Vulcan blow up.

Clearly they could, and they did.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 18 2012, 01:26 PM   #114
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

When Whedon presented "Serenity" to Fox, they were less than impressed. They'd been expecting something lighter and snappier. So they commissioned a new script to air as a replacement for the real pilot, but Whedon and Tim Minear only had two days to deliver the script.
I don't know if it's reflected in "The Train Job" or not, but the suits at FOX also wanted Mal to be a bit more kinder and gentler than he was in the Pilot "Serenity." He had too much a dark streak for their tastes. At least, that's what I've read over the years on DBs.

Train Job was the first episode that aired. I watched it. I initially couldn't get over the mix of sci-fi and Old West. I'm glad I rewatched the show later in proper production order.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 01:29 PM   #115
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Here's a little spoiler free video.. cracks me up to see Prime Spock at the end with the words "you can't take the sky from me" when Spock is watching Vulcan blow up.

Clearly they could, and they did.
I really, really, really dislike Star Trek XI strongly, yet, I gotta say, that was awesome!
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 01:54 PM   #116
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Shawnster wrote: View Post

I don't know if it's reflected in "The Train Job" or not, but the suits at FOX also wanted Mal to be a bit more kinder and gentler than he was in the Pilot "Serenity." He had too much a dark streak for their tastes. At least, that's what I've read over the years on DBs.

Train Job was the first episode that aired. I watched it. I initially couldn't get over the mix of sci-fi and Old West. I'm glad I rewatched the show later in proper production order.
I'm glad that they did this because he was kind of mean. He had some good moments, but he was a little too pushy to people that didn't require that, like Simon.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 06:36 PM   #117
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Baldwin was better this week but would still prefer Perlman
You need to go watch Alien:Resurrection then. Whedon worked on the script for that at one point and you can see a lot of proto-ideas for Firefly in the crew of The Betty, of which Perlman is a crew member.

It makes the movie almost palatable looking for the Whedon influences.
Old November 18 2012, 07:03 PM   #118
lurok
Commodore

Without googling I was unsure whether The Betty crew were pre- or post-Firefly, but yeah, the similarities definitely there. It does feel like Baldwin's character written for someone badass like Perlman.

^^S/UF: I'm glad they seem to have lightened him. Nothing worse than a charmless lead. I could even accept a serial killer as series lead as long as not charmless. Oh wait...

ETA: Doesn't Baldwin use the 'I was aiming for his head' gag. I'm sure I've heard that before, but did Whedon originate it?

Last edited by lurok; November 18 2012 at 07:44 PM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 09:44 PM   #119
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

So I just finished watching the pilot. I'm a bit behind schedule. Also, the Internet ate my review.

But these two make me very happy.
I'm afraid we disagree, lurok. I don't think neither of these actors are convincing. I do hope you're right about them having an interesting backstory and developing beyond the stereotypes they represent until now.

I know people are going to hate me for this, but I don't think the actor that plays the captain is very convincing either. For example, there were no sparks at all between him Inara when he told her to get of the ship. He looked like he was constipated or something.
Apart from that I don't think Mal is a very likeable character. Treating a woman like a whore - such a nice way to romance a lady.

On the bright side, I kinda like the Western theme, which kept me from watching this series before. It's... original.

And I do think Zoe is a very likeable and believeable character. Did I already mention I think the doctor is cute?

All in all, I quite enjoyed this ep. I agree with lurok though, it could have been funnier.

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 11:11 PM   #120
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
Apart from that I don't think Mal is a very likeable character. Treating a woman like a whore - such a nice way to romance a lady.
Well, she is. Mal's constant jabs at her being a prostitute are explained more in "Shindig".