TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 18 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
F. King Daniel
Admiral

is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/11/...arkness-.shtml
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/15/am...nto-exclusive/

Quote taken out of context by fiendish attention-seeking internet or not? You decide!
Zachary Quinto wrote:
It's like an era of association with certain roles - a part like Spock, or a part like Sylar - is coming to an end.
IMO, yes. He's just saying he wants a variety of roles and not to be typecast as "that serial killer" or as Spock. Plus, doing one more Trek film after Into Darkness could well be seen as his time as Spock coming to an end.
Old November 18 2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Harvey
Admiral

Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Like everything else that is passing as "news" about the new movie right now, this seems to be stretching something into nothing.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Coming soon: "I Am Also Not Spock".
Old November 18 2012, 01:08 PM   #4
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

StarMan wrote: View Post
Coming soon: "I Am Also Not Spock".

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Mage
Commodore

If he does quite, good for him! There's a danger to doing the same part for to long, loads of genre actors/actresses will know that. And how boring must it be to play the same part for a few decades?
Old November 18 2012, 02:30 PM   #6
ralph
Captain

I believe Zach will be in the third movie (because the contract) and its over, of course, if Into Darkness is a huge success. Money is money.
Old November 18 2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Well, I'm glad he's under contract for 3 movies. It sounds like he may be tired of playing the part already, which is too bad. I think his character is the least replaceable of them all, and I don't want to see Uhura with a different Spock, and surely I do not want to see Spock killed off. I hope that's not what "into darkness" is referencing...

This could be a number of things or nothing. Things that it could be:

Fandom: I think he took a lot of heat for playing new Spock as he was written. I hope he knows that people were reacting to seeing a side of Spock that they weren't used to seeing far more than anyone actually thinking he didn't do well enough because he was fantastic in the role. Makes me think of drudging up my appreciation thread again.

Uhura: Okay, this is a passing thought, and I really hope all it is is a thought. He really doesn't' tend to play heterosexual characters with love interests. I think part of what might have drawn him to Spock is that you can see the character as asexual if you want to because he never really had any emotional ties to someone that way (that we could see). Then, imagine signing up for the role and reading the script only to find that your character is into kissing someone, and she's got boobies. Spock/Uhura are my favorite part of the reboot, but seeing as since Zachary came out a year ago and really is working for equal rights for that community, this could be a downer for him. I really do hope there's no truth to this.

Or, this could just be contract renegotiation time, and if so, then I do support Zachary having the best deal possible without it being extreme. Last thing, he really could just be bored. We're only 2 movies in, the second one hasn't even been released yet, and already this franchise is having more than its fair share of problems.

So, that's my over-analyzing for the day.

The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself. - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Pavonis
Commodore

Sounds to me more like a comment about how claims that only Shatner could be Kirk and only Nimoy could be Spock aren't being made anymore. Someone else could play Sylar, if Heroes returned, just as Quinto successfully took on the role of Spock.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 03:30 PM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral

I personally do not believe there is anything in those comments which means anything significant. But let's play with this for a moment, shall we? If Darkness is indeed Quinto's last movie, what does this mean for Spock? Surely they would not recast him again so soon, so this could likely mean that Spock could die in the movie. Abrams and his cohorts really want to mimic TWOK, don't they? Also, this narrows things down and makes it pretty damn obvious that Cumberbatch must be playing Khan.
Old November 18 2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Yeah, it could be nothing, but on the other side, the "era of association" comment that pavonis referenced could mean that he's stepping to the side for some reason. Were the reports of fights and hostilities on the set true??? We could play this game all day.

The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself. - Virginia Woolf
Old November 18 2012, 04:25 PM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Were the reports of fights and hostilities on the set true??? We could play this game all day.
The alleged fights and hostilities were between Simon Pegg and Deep Roy. No effect on Quinto at all.
Old November 18 2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

Since Quinto was so excited about playing Spock in the first place (IIRC he said he was born to play Spock and lobbied heavily to get the role), I don't see him giving it up.
Old November 18 2012, 04:43 PM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

They'll drive a dump truck full of money up to this house if Into Darkness is a mega-hit, they'll simply replace him if its a mid-range hit.
Old November 18 2012, 05:41 PM   #14
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Were the reports of fights and hostilities on the set true??? We could play this game all day.
The alleged fights and hostilities were between Simon Pegg and Deep Roy. No effect on Quinto at all.
Who is Deep Roy??? The little munchkin?

Old November 18 2012, 05:46 PM   #15
serenitytrek1
Commander

I agree with spock/uhura fan.

I hope Zachary doesnt get recast,he was the one that looked the part the most. I really hope all is well with him and the cast.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; November 18 2012 at 07:24 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote