Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 22 2012, 08:18 PM   #196
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

davejames wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post
To be honest, there's very little in the effects department that looks dated in Robocop. Hell, Starship Troopers looks even better than most modern CG. Given that Verehoeven started in the effects field, this isn't too shocking.
True, the effects are still fantastic, but I was referring more to the dated set design, costumes, cars (like that fugly 6000 SUX), etc.
It's kind of natural for it to be dated, though, because a large point of the design of RoboCop was to be satirical of the absurd excesses of Reagan-era corporate America. It's a product of its time. There was never any effort to make it look timeless -- it's only a rather unfortunate accident that Neumeier and Miner were oddly prescient about just how influential corporations would be in government in the not-too-distant future.

That's why I'm digging the design of the new RoboCop. Just as the original model was big, bulky and moved at about .2 miles per hour (like a lot of industrial engineering of the '80s), this new RoboCop is rather clearly inspired by the Apple era of industrial design.
Old October 22 2012, 10:51 PM   #197
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Just a thought, it's possible there's a reason for the "matte" finish of the suit, whether it be for FX or keeping glare out of the camera. I still like the design though.
Old October 23 2012, 11:04 AM   #198
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

RAMA wrote: View Post
Just a thought, it's possible there's a reason for the "matte" finish of the suit, whether it be for FX or keeping glare out of the camera. I still like the design though.
...and yet the Iron Man suits are pretty glossy. Maybe the effects company is comparatively low budget?

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 03:52 PM   #199
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
...and yet the Iron Man suits are pretty glossy. Maybe the effects company is comparatively low budget?
Maybe the suite is matte so he can walk around stealthily in the dark.
Old October 23 2012, 11:27 PM   #200
Yminale
Rear Admiral

I agree with the detractors. What made Robocop so good is the idea of a human being literally being trapped in a machine. These days many people would love the idea of their minds and souls in their Iphone. It just isn't the same.
Old October 24 2012, 03:28 PM   #201
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Yminale wrote: View Post
I agree with the detractors. What made Robocop so good is the idea of a human being literally being trapped in a machine. These days many people would love the idea of their minds and souls in their Iphone. It just isn't the same.
It also doesn't help that "iPhone" design language is the go-to default for hack design, which is especially sad considering that Mac's product design is lifted wholesale from 1960's Braun electronics.

Robocop lampooned 80's product design aesthetics, not ripped them off. There's a huge difference between the two; effort and hair-pulling.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 11:17 PM   #202
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

More pics:

http://news.doddleme.com/news-room/r...ideo-released/

I would've preferred that they kept more of the iconic design look form the original - as has been mentioned previously, compared to the movies it starred in, it's relatively timeless. Still, I can see the need for a sleeker, more mobile look, since I don't think we can believe slow 1970s dancing Robocop anymore. I just wish it didn't look so Halo / Batsuit / Kamen Rider generic.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 10:21 PM   #203
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Promotional video at the bottom of page

http://www.filmofilia.com/must-watch...ed-209-124522/

From the rumored script the grey suit is made fun of by the criminals in a focus group. It's not intimidating.

It will most likely be a 30 second cameo

New set picture

Another suit was spotted

I noticed the new suit was in the concept art photo in a case

Old November 18 2012, 04:34 AM   #204
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

I'm starting to think that "man in a suit" is actually the precise aesthetic they're going for, in that it de-emphasizes that the whole RoboCop procedure they're trying to market to law enforcement is actually a one-way street, and there's no going back from it. Omnicorp is trying to say that the humanity is still maintained -- after all, a touch from a "human" hand is one of the most meaningful gestures there is, and there is more emotion and expression conveyed via touch than a mouth that has the rest of the head concealed by a helmet.
Old November 18 2012, 04:58 AM   #205
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

^That's what they're going for and I've mentioned it in the past(The exposed hand)

The "product" angle will be heavy. He get's upgrades like an Ipod.

In the promotional video one of the crew said 'Every kid is gonna wanna play with robocop'

He'll be heavily promoted to the public with a human face and hand(or cybernetic hand with heat running through it)
Old November 18 2012, 11:59 AM   #206
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Now that would be more like it. Especially the man integrated in a robot part. Elbows and torso sell that idea. They could have some moving parts and some see through bits added in post with that.
JarodRussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 06:58 PM   #207
davejames
Vice Admiral

So the criminals made fun of that suit, but were somehow more intimidated by the black rubber Batman suit? Yeah... right.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 10:17 PM   #208
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

^Apparently from the rumored script leak

http://screenrant.com/robocop-2013-s...etails-review/

In the film, when Murphy is turned into Robocop 1.0, it’s described “a high-tech version of the ’80s suit.” Then they show a focus group scene where criminals laugh at the design. “He looks like a toy from the ’80s!”
So they redesign him to look “meaner” as Robocop 2.0, who passes focus group approval.
Old November 19 2012, 04:19 AM   #209
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Looks intimidating to me, at least.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 05:47 AM   #210
Saul
Rear Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
^Apparently from the rumored script leak

http://screenrant.com/robocop-2013-s...etails-review/

In the film, when Murphy is turned into Robocop 1.0, it’s described “a high-tech version of the ’80s suit.” Then they show a focus group scene where criminals laugh at the design. “He looks like a toy from the ’80s!”
So they redesign him to look “meaner” as Robocop 2.0, who passes focus group approval.
Sounds like a bit of a cliche joke already done in other remakes and adaptations. However the 80's looking suit is far better than that black crap.