RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 475
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 18 2012, 10:29 AM   #16
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Renegades Kickstarted ending soon

[QUOTE=Greg Cox;7271746]
Lighthammer wrote: View Post
Er, I wasn't aware Star Trek needed to be brought back. Isn't there a big new movie due out next year?
Really? There's an active series right now we can indulge in on the TV with (mostly) weekly premiers? Why didn't anyone tell me?

BillJ wrote: View Post
$200,000 just seems extremely steep for a fan film.
Considering that most series like this have a $1 million budget per episode, $200,000 is like scrapping. Most of the people involved in this are doing it for love and not money.

But beyond that, you have to keep in mind, not only did the company who originally did all the props for Star Trek sell off EVERYTHING (IE No access available today) they need to spend a ton of money making new props, sets, etc.

I doubt many of the cast and crew are taking much of a cut of this cash. A lot of it is going towards trying to make a truly production quality set and special effects.

The previous "fan" trek attempts were pretty good, but lets face it, they weren't ever close to any of the production runs. They worked with what they had and did the best they could. This time around, this movie is looking to make a pitch at a new series. It has to be 100% production quality.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Have to agree about the Khan element, if they want their Captain to have enhanced abilities include a Vulcan ancestor (just not Spock ot T'Pol), or create a new species that would do the job just as well without rehashing the genetically engineered. Also if you were related to one of Earth's greatest villans, wouldn't you go to great pains to hide that fact?

I'm on a wait and see approach to this, not sure how exactly I feel towards it. I will say though, I quite like the compact design of the ship they've got, and the blend between Klingon BoP and INS scout is interesting.
It's not like we haven't had world leaders related to very villainous persons in history.

I think this idea of having a "child of Khan" has some serious potential to it. Considering the Federation's outlook on genetic engineering, one has to assume Lexxa Singh earned her commission (originally, since she's apparently not in Star Fleet any longer) through Section 37, who I'd bet recruited her for "enhanced attributes".

Like I said earlier, there's also a certain appeal to a character like this who is the off spring of a villain who's trying to do great good. If anyone has ever played the Castlevania series, you know what I'm talking about! Not to mention, with the stigma of being Khans descendant hanging over her head, it probably gives her the ability to walk the line between being the good guy and the bad guy at the same line, much like Ro Laren could.
Old November 18 2012, 10:39 AM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

Really? There's an active series right now we can indulge in on the TV with (mostly) weekly premiers? Why didn't anyone tell me?
Whether or not there is active television production is hardly a useful way to determine the health of the "Star Trek following." Fandom was at its peak in the 1970s and 80s, a time which was mostly devoid of new Star Trek on television.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 02:56 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think this idea of having a "child of Khan" has some serious potential to it. Considering the Federation's outlook on genetic engineering, one has to assume Lexxa Singh earned her commission (originally, since she's apparently not in Star Fleet any longer) through Section 37, who I'd bet recruited her for "enhanced attributes".

She is not a "child of Khan"' its been four hundred years. How can you not get this?

$200,000 is a lot for a labor of "love" and there's no way this convinces anyone that Trek is a viable property for television. If the Abrams film making $400 million hasn't yet convinced CBS that Trek is viable on TV, an expensive fan film certainly won't.
Old November 18 2012, 05:15 PM   #19
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

See those quotes around "child of khan"? I didn't mean to infer she was a direct offspring, I meant to infer she was a descendant in much the same way some clans can themselves "children of ..." to illustrate linage.
Old November 18 2012, 06:32 PM   #20
Shatinator
Commander

See those quotes around "child of khan"? I didn't mean to infer she was a direct offspring, I meant to infer she was a descendant in much the same way some clans can themselves "children of ..." to illustrate linage.

Just like Spock is a child of Sherlock Holmes ala Star Trek six..

Don't tell me you don't remember
Old November 18 2012, 07:46 PM   #21
Count Zero
Decidedly something

As a treky, I figured I'd do my part to try get the word out about this project.

Star Trek Renegades is a rogue attempt to try to rebuild the Star Trek following and possibly create an underground Youtube based series if the pilot is successful enough.

Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfhWr9l1NI

I don't know about everyone else, but the trailer sends chills down my back. For those who have followed Star Trek over the years, you might know that Chekov was promoted to Star Fleets Command and Chief sometime during Voyager according to many of the books and the canonic Star Trek MMO. This is the first look at him having that role on screen and as such is an extremely neat tie in to a lot of the recent trek stories.

The story itself follows the adventures of Captain Lexxa Singh a descendant of Khan Singh as she leads a covert operation to uncover a dark secret that threatens to tear apart the Federation.
I removed the soliciting part from the OP. Soliciting is not allowed here on the board and that includes kickstarter projects. Please don't do that again.
Old November 18 2012, 08:50 PM   #22
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Renegades

They need to use some of that money to hire someone to iron Chekov's uniform. It looks like he just pulled it out of the pattern buffer...er ..hamper.
Old November 18 2012, 11:06 PM   #23
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

@Count Zero

A TREK community is throwing up brick walls regarding helping getting a TREK project off the ground?

I'm --- I don't have words for how disappointed I am with this.

There's even been FRONT PAGE ARTICLES on your site about this project!

That judgement is beyond stupid. This might be the final straw that just makes me delete my account here.
Old November 18 2012, 11:13 PM   #24
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It's not such a big deal, it's very easy to find the Star Trek: Renegades kickstarter by Googling.
Old November 18 2012, 11:15 PM   #25
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Well, the rules are the rules. You agreed to them when you joined here. I don't think it's too hard for those who want to contribute to find a way now that they've heard of the project.
The ban on soliciting has legal reasons, as far as I know but feel free to start a thread on it in "Questions, Suggestions & Feedback" if you want to see the policy explained further and/or changed.
Old November 18 2012, 11:38 PM   #26
M
Vice Admiral

When I saw the trailer for this some weeks ago I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. Honestly, this looks like the stupidest, most fanwanky thing they could have come up with. I really hated "Of Gods and Men", which – although acted pretty well – was really very badly written. The plot was so convoluted and pandering to Trek nerds, I couldn't believe people actually and genuinely liked this.

And now comes this, which looks even worse. Are those people, who actually worked on the show and who actually do have some acting chops, so disconnected to what actually makes Star Trek work? Do they really think this is what Trek fans want to see? Well I certainly don't.

Walter Koenig, as an actor and as a human being, is very dear to me. In fact, Chekov is my favorite supporting character from TOS. But seeing him associated with this really makes me doubt his judgement.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 01:12 AM   #27
sonak
Vice Admiral

I would also like to express my surprise that the Star Trek fan community needs to be "rebuilt." The last film was a huge hit, the biggest one ever for a Trek film.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 11:42 AM   #28
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

They reached and passed their minimum $200,000 Kickstarter goal, so this thing's getting made. They're hoping to raise an extra $30,000 in the next three days to upgrade production values.

I'm hoping it'll be a fun pilot movie, but I can't see it becoming the 5-year ongoing CBS-approved series they're hoping for. CBS and Paramount have always seen Trek as one of their premiere properties, and are currently very happy with their blockbuster movies and Bluray re-releases. I can't see a low budget web series fitting with their current plans. They've always kept Trek away from straight-to-DVD quality stuff, even when the franchise was at it's lowest ebb in 2005.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong.
Old November 23 2012, 12:15 PM   #29
Avon
Fleet Captain

i would've thought a descentant of khan would've changed their surname? isn't it akin to them being called 'captain hitler'?

but honestly this sounds so fanwanky my wrist aches at the concept.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 04:39 PM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Funny that $90,000 of their total comes from ten backers.