Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 14 2012, 02:49 AM   #31
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did we know about the Borg sooner?

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
The events of First Contact should technically push Enterprise in to an alternate reality. With the Borg Drones left over in the artic region of Earth and all. Make sense really, the events of FC creating an alternate timeline that is subtly different but close enough to the original timeline where the first contact with the Borg was 'Q Who' and not ENT's 'Regeneration'.
That's what I've been saying all along! Enterprise being set in an alternate timeline because of what happened in First Contact would be a logical way to explain away all the discrepancies between Enterprise and TOS/TNG.

I'd even go a step further and say that Star Trek XI is a continuation of the alternate timeline that Enterprise happened in. This would be the only way I can think of to explain the differences to the original timeline in that movie. The differences that were not caused by Nero.
How do we explain the discrepancies between TOS and TOS? Is each episode a different reality? How about Encounter at Farpoint which claims Data graduated from the Academy as part of the class of '78, another alternate timeline?

Psion wrote:
It was just as entertaining whether it was showing the history of TOS, the history of JJ's Trek, or the history of an altogether different universe that might play out quite differently by the time the 23rd century rolled around.
It's already both.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 07:22 AM   #32
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
How do we explain the discrepancies between TOS and TOS? Is each episode a different reality?
I think Gene was just making it up as he went along with no realisation of the Universe as a whole.
Old November 14 2012, 07:37 PM   #33
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
How do we explain the discrepancies between TOS and TOS? Is each episode a different reality?
I think Gene was just making it up as he went along with no realisation of the Universe as a whole.
Yes, but we're talking "in universe". Conflict=new reality seems to be the rule.

Yes, Gene made some stuff up as he went along. He also changed stuff as he went along, too. He even developed some backstory before filming started!!!!
Old November 18 2012, 01:25 AM   #34
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

In TBBW Admiral J. P. Hanson: said " Truth is we've known they were coming for a long time"
That leads me to think they knew even before events that took place in "The Neutral Zone"
Old November 18 2012, 02:05 AM   #35
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Even though they use different spellings I've wondered if there was a connection between Hanson and the Hansens.
Old November 18 2012, 04:58 AM   #36
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

Even though they use different spellings I've wondered if there was a connection between Hanson and the Hansens.
I always wished they had spelled it the same. No other reference necessary, but just have that there as a possible clue that Hanson sent his xeno-biologist son and his family out on a mission to research the Borg and never heard from them again.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 07:26 AM   #37
FKnight
Commander

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
In TBBW Admiral J. P. Hanson: said " Truth is we've known they were coming for a long time"
That leads me to think they knew even before events that took place in "The Neutral Zone"
He actually said "for over a year" which coincides almost exactly with Q Who (1228 stardate units, assuming 1000=year)
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 12:50 PM   #38
Tiberius
Commodore

No.

Oh God no.

Why does anyone with a remotely similar name HAVE TO BE related to each other? There are BILLIONS of people, maybe TRILLIONS of people across the Federation. Chances are there are going to be lots of them named Hansen or Hanson or something like that.

Enough with the small universe where everyone knows everyone else. It's bad enough in Star Wars where they take each and every person who was in the pod race audience and give them a complete backstory, name and everything. Let's not also do it for trek.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 12:52 PM   #39
Tiberius
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
We can confirm that the Borg were very much in Federation space long before the their attack on earth in TNG BOBW.
Who says El-Auria was in Federation space?
Might not have been El Auria. Let's not forget the USS Tombaugh...
Old November 18 2012, 12:58 PM   #40
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Hanson/Hansen is not exactly a rare name, there would be no reason for them to be related at all.
Old November 18 2012, 03:20 PM   #41
MacLeod
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Pawleygirl wrote: View Post
You know, I was watching Voyager Flashback and ...
I take it you haven't seen the Enterprise episode "Regeneration", where Captain Archer fights the Borg 200 years before "Q Who"?
But at the time of Q-who, Picard and the Enterprise E hadn't yet traveled back in time.

And Borg wreckage hadn't been dumped in Antarctic.

And historically Lily was probably aboard the phoenix warp flight.

And historically the NX-01 wasn't named "Enterprise."

And the NX-01 never encountered the Borg during it's voyages.

When Picard and crew were in the 21st century (FC) their actions and those of the Borg changed history. But there was a original unaltered history prior to those changes.

At the time of Q-who, the original history was still in place.

But those are effects of an event (cause) which hasn't happened yet.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 12:19 AM   #42
Tiberius
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Pawleygirl wrote: View Post
You know, I was watching Voyager Flashback and ...
I take it you haven't seen the Enterprise episode "Regeneration", where Captain Archer fights the Borg 200 years before "Q Who"?
But at the time of Q-who, Picard and the Enterprise E hadn't yet traveled back in time.

And Borg wreckage hadn't been dumped in Antarctic.

And historically Lily was probably aboard the phoenix warp flight.

And historically the NX-01 wasn't named "Enterprise."

And the NX-01 never encountered the Borg during it's voyages.

When Picard and crew were in the 21st century (FC) their actions and those of the Borg changed history. But there was a original unaltered history prior to those changes.

At the time of Q-who, the original history was still in place.

Or maybe there was the Borg wreckage and all the other stuff, because Picard and his crew had no choice but to do what they did?
Old November 19 2012, 02:18 AM   #43
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
No.

Oh God no.

Why does anyone with a remotely similar name HAVE TO BE related to each other? There are BILLIONS of people, maybe TRILLIONS of people across the Federation. Chances are there are going to be lots of them named Hansen or Hanson or something like that.

Enough with the small universe where everyone knows everyone else. It's bad enough in Star Wars where they take each and every person who was in the pod race audience and give them a complete backstory, name and everything. Let's not also do it for trek.
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Hanson/Hansen is not exactly a rare name, there would be no reason for them to be related at all.
Normally I'm not a fan of linking everyone with the same name, but in this case I like the idea. Not because of the name, but because of the Borg. It would flesh out Hanson and the Hansens and their motivations concerning the Borg.
Old November 19 2012, 09:19 AM   #44
Tiberius
Commodore

Normally I'm not a fan of linking everyone with the same name, but in this case I like the idea. Not because of the name, but because of the Borg. It would flesh out Hanson and the Hansens and their motivations concerning the Borg.
Still no. If it was Admiral Smith instead of Admiral Hanson, you wouldn't be proposing it.

There was nothing in tBoBW to suggest that Hanson had any motivation for stopping the Borg other than the "Borg = bad guys" idea. Certainly nothing to suggest he was motivated because he'd lost family members (ie; Magnus, Erin and Annika) to them.
Old November 19 2012, 10:32 AM   #45
Timo
Admiral

Indeed, the point about Admiral Hanson was that he didn't really believe in the Borg, and e.g. dismissed the threat posed by Locutus. The point about the Hansens was that they did believe. We could plead "poetic justice" or whatnot when Granddad Hans*n dies because of his lack of faith, but that's really silly.

Besides, Hanson vs. Hansen is a bit like Ivan vs. John, or Cat vs. Dog, or Night vs. Day. If you spell it with "e", you have Danish or Norwegian roots; if with "o", it's more a Swedish thing. And you don't go telling Vikings that they all look the same to you!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote