Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old November 15 2012, 05:02 PM   #31
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Door Colors

Ah, thanks for that! I had a feeling I'd seen a "2" here and there but I wasn't sure we ever saw a clear shot.

I think the only "Astro Medicine" sign we ever saw was for "Ward 4", created for the 2nd pilot and featured in quite a few publicity shots, such as:

(I think there's one of Dr Dehner out there somewhere too)
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:21 PM   #32
blssdwlf
Commodore

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Your observation is impeccable but in that scene from "Day of the Dove" the turbo lift ride from sickbay to the bridge is so short (must be a warp express turbo lift ) that compared to "Amok Time" (bridge to deck 5) it becomes increasingly difficult to rationalize that they first went down to sickbay and then Kirk went up to the bridge alone.
Keep in mind if the crew lounge was on Deck 6, they would've had to go up to Deck 5 to get to sickbay. Then it would be a short hop up for Kirk to the bridge. As to turbolift travel times, that is variable, depending on congestion. I suspect it was extra fast that time for Kirk because everyone else got trapped in their areas
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 09:00 PM   #33
Timo
Admiral

Regarding that "3F 127" sign there, later recycled for McCoy's cabin... Did we ever have dialogue that would have directly contradicted the idea that either the first or the second digit in such signage indicates the deck? That is, that McCoy lived on Deck 3=C (like Spock in ST2) or Deck F=6?

And, according to dialog and the signs in the corridors seen in "Day of the Dove", Officer's Quarters are located on deck six.
Hmm. What dialog, exactly?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 11:17 PM   #34
Mytran
Fleet Captain

I use turboshaft congestion to explain away the inconsistent travel times throughout the show. The only times we can expect to get get a true idea of how long a clear ride should be is when the ship is totally empty:

By Any Other Name
Ultimate Computer
Day of the Dove
Mark of Gideon
Old November 16 2012, 03:19 AM   #35
Albertese
Commodore

I do enjoy your straying unless Albertese feels that we should return to the original theme of this thread.
Hey, thanks for your concern, but I gotta say that this all fascinating. And I think it's related enough to what I was wondering about the doors to be relevant.

Carry on!

--Alex
Old November 16 2012, 04:57 AM   #36
Terror Grin
Captain

idle speculation without much investigation but could the color be related to the level of protection the door might provide (airtight, radiation-proof, etc.)? also could relate to SF's equivalent of material conditions of readiness
Old November 16 2012, 09:18 AM   #37
Timo
Admiral

The only times we can expect to get get a true idea of how long a clear ride should be is when the ship is totally empty
...And even then, the computer might follow cues from the user: the harder Kirk twists the throttle, the faster the lift goes! Within traffic rules if there's traffic, of course.

Timo Saloniemi
Old November 16 2012, 06:17 PM   #38
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

This is has always been my interpretation, the "handle' is just a throttle, and the T/L would still work by voice activation, whether or not one twisted the handle?
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 08:36 PM   #39
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Why shouldn't Kirk get express service by virtue of the fact that he is the Captain?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 11:35 PM   #40
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Mytran wrote: View Post
"I think the only "Astro Medicine" sign we ever saw was for "Ward 4", created for the 2nd pilot and featured in quite a few publicity shots, such as:

"
And given our research in Peter Chung's thread, we can assume it's this door on the right: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...ehdalt0067.jpg

Another time is in "Way to Eden", just the recycled "Ward 4", again: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...edenhd0539.jpg

I can't say that Throwback's observation (Medical Ward on deck 5 in "Man Trap") is an argument to locate Sickbay on deck 7 and it gets worse. According to The Making of Star Trek the intention had been to locate the "Computer Systems" on deck 7 and deck 8. According to "Journey to Babel" they're right across from Kirk's cabin on deck 5: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...abelhd0017.jpg

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 06:22 PM   #41
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Interestingly, the turbo lift issue brings me back to the original theme of the thread: door colors

I think it's safe to assume that we are dealing with a turbo lift if a) the door is red and/or b) there's a sign above which either says "turbo lift" or is at the same spot as the turbo lift sign.

Especially in "The Naked Time" we have nevertheless blue doors with elevator cars that do not match this category:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...timehd0495.jpg (Riley exiting elevator car)

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...timehd0533.jpg (Sulu getting ready to fence)

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...timehd0827.jpg (Spock noticing effects of virus on crew)

The latter one did puzzle me as just around a corner there is a normal or regular tubo lift into which Janice Rand - being stalked by a crewman - tries to get into: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...timehd0832.jpg

Regarding the one with Sulu we know from Uhura's report that he is chasing crewmen on "level 2", which - in another thread - I suggested to be the outer and lower rim of deck 7 which rather appears to be level 2 of deck 6 (as it has no passageway to the interior part of deck 7). As there are only two deck levels in the outer rim, what we are seeing here might just be a deck elevator that doesn't qualify as a turbo lift (basically a larger version than the engineering room deck elevators seen in TMP and TNG).

That would also fit with a color code for the hangar deck doors as these also provide access to an elevator - the elevator platform for the shuttlecraft.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 07:22 PM   #42
data909
Ensign

View data909's Twitter Profile

I think you might be missing the green for the observation deck. Either that or I'm crazy.
Old November 17 2012, 11:56 PM   #43
Mytran
Fleet Captain

According to The Making of Star Trek the intention had been to locate the "Computer Systems" on deck 7 and deck 8. According to "Journey to Babel" they're right across from Kirk's cabin on deck 5
Actually, the sign says "computer statistics" and turns up in several different locations accross the ship. You can see it most clearly across from the Transporter Room in This Side of Paradise:

I think it's safe to assume that we are dealing with a turbo lift if a) the door is red and/or b) there's a sign above which either says "turbo lift" or is at the same spot as the turbo lift sign.
Is it possible that the reason those Turbolifts are unmarked is because they are "exit only" elevators?

Bear with me on this - obviously, in most cases a turbolift will have a dedicated alcove when it makes a stop, to allow traffic to pass while people alight/disembark at their leisure. What if (for high volume areas such as Engineering or Sickbay) there are exit apetures on the main trackway?

These would obviously have to have a short time limit on how long they'd be able to stay open, but it would allow people in a hurry to quickly step out and be about their business.

These stops are not designed to pick up passengers of course, which is why they don't have the usual signage and/or door colours.

Regarding the one with Sulu we know from Uhura's report that he is chasing crewmen on "level 2", which - in another thread - I suggested to be the outer and lower rim of deck 7 which rather appears to be level 2 of deck 6
How would it be possible to fit the corridor seen into the outer "donut" of the ship? Sulu runs down a fairly long straight corridor before turning into the curved section. I just can't see there being that much room in the outer part of the ship.

data909 wrote: View Post
I think you might be missing the green for the observation deck. Either that or I'm crazy.
Greeney-Bluey-Turquoise also turns up in that door McCoy enters from in the opening scene of Amok Time.
Old November 19 2012, 10:37 AM   #44
Timo
Admiral

Actually, the sign says "computer statistics" and turns up in several different locations accross the ship.
Proof positive that these things are in fact display screens, and the message on them varies as needed - being "computer statistics" when the computer is running statistical analysis on who reads these damn signs anyway.

Perhaps door color is also altered by keypress or computer subroutine, as required to cue in the Red Shift, the Yellow Shift or the Blue Shift for their daily assignments?

Timo Saloniemi
Old November 19 2012, 02:49 PM   #45
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
Proof positive that these things are in fact display screens, and the message on them varies as needed - being "computer statistics" when the computer is running statistical analysis on who reads these damn signs anyway.

Thanks for that - made my lunchtime!