Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 11 2012, 07:14 PM   #106
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Re: Assassin's Creed III

ATimson wrote: View Post
Jim Steele wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
That's how it worked in prior games. And if you do that in III, it will send them sprawling, but it won't do any damage.
Only if you don't issue a follow up command right after the counter. Red triangle appears over enemy. Tap B. Game slows down. Tap X, enemy dead.
If I tap B, I don't get the slowdown; I have to hold B to get that to happen... I wonder what the heck is different?

Even if it works as you describe, it's still a change from prior games (it didn't use to be a two-button process...).
Maybe it's time for a new controller?!?
Old November 12 2012, 09:28 AM   #107
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Yeah I was about to say. Maybe your controller is buggered or something, but the way I'm describing the counter system *is* how it works - I'm not making it up!
Old November 12 2012, 03:02 PM   #108
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

And the 2 button counter-and-attack system has been in place for atleast the last 2 or 3 games....
The "timing"/"rhythm" might have changed a little though...
Old November 13 2012, 04:49 AM   #109
Mr Light
Admiral

Took me about ten tries to kill the guy at the end of "Bunker Hill" because I still can't handle the combat mechanics. Sigh. Are you supposed to hit the counter button when the red triangle flashes or when he swings?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 06:31 AM   #110
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

When it flashes...
Old November 14 2012, 01:54 AM   #111
Mr Light
Admiral

That doesn't seem to work... it seems to work more often if i do it as they swing, but I'm still dying over and over... this is so frustrating...

Old November 14 2012, 02:14 AM   #112
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
That doesn't seem to work... it seems to work more often if i do it as they swing, but I'm still dying over and over... this is so frustrating...
Are you holding Counter or tapping it? Try holding it (so it goes into slow motion), then hitting X to attack (or whatever the PS3 equivalent is).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 03:52 AM   #113
Mr Light
Admiral

OK I seem to get it to work by hitting B as the same moment they swing, NOT when the flashing triangle appears. I'll try just holding it down next time. So, what, you just hold B down the entire fight?

And even when I *DO* get a successful counter, I just shove them away I don't kill them, which makes the fight last forever...

Old November 14 2012, 11:25 AM   #114
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

OK I seem to get it to work by hitting B as the same moment they swing, NOT when the flashing triangle appears. I'll try just holding it down next time. So, what, you just hold B down the entire fight?

And even when I *DO* get a successful counter, I just shove them away I don't kill them, which makes the fight last forever...
Hit X as soon as you counter, should kill all regular enemies...
There are some tougher ones, like in the previous games, that you need to kick first to break their defense by pressing A.
It works the same way as in Brotherhood/Revelations et al...
Old November 14 2012, 11:44 AM   #115
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

I'm genuinely wondering what the hell the problem is with your controllers/systems/hands, because it really isn't that complicated and you don't have to hold any buttons.

From IGN:

As an enemy readies an attack (indicated by a red triangle appearing over their head), Connor can counter their attack by pressing the "O" button.
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/assassins-creed-3/Counter

(obv on 360 "O" = "B")

Right after a successful counter, you have to issue a follow up command. X to kill, A to disarm, B to throw.

It tells you in the tutorial. It tells you in the in-game manual. People have said it in this thread numerous times.
Old November 14 2012, 11:55 AM   #116
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Yep and for badass enemies (like Jagers) you have to press X (PS3) / A (X360) afterwards.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 09:27 PM   #117
RoJoHen
Awesome

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
I'm genuinely wondering what the hell the problem is with your controllers/systems/hands, because it really isn't that complicated and you don't have to hold any buttons.
It's also exactly the same as it was in Brotherhood and Revelations, which is why I'm having a hard time understanding the problem. Hell, if it's really an issue, go back to the fighting tutorial in ACII with Ezio's uncle at Monterriggioni. It's exactly the same. And honestly, if you've played Arkham Asylum or Arkham City, I'm pretty sure it's the same controls there as well.
Old November 17 2012, 04:02 AM   #118
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm halfway through Sequence 11 and I've finally got a handle on the combat, haha. The problem is the game comes out once a year but I forget how it works and it takes me forever to remember again and I'm too lazy to do the tutorials.

I just really don't dig this game. I liked the middle ages Europe / Middle East stuff. I don't care about Colonial America or the Revolution. Maybe I'm just skipping a lot but this game feels so shallow. You can't upgrade your health bars? You don't learn new moves? You don't recruit assassins? There aren't shops? You can't buy and upgrade the city?

The only cool thing I think about the story is that

Old November 17 2012, 04:43 AM   #119
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm just skipping a lot but this game feels so shallow. You can't upgrade your health bars? You don't learn new moves? You don't recruit assassins? There aren't shops? You can't buy and upgrade the city?
You do recruit Assassins (though they're more fleshed out NPCs instead of random people now).

There are shops, that sell new weapons, but not other upgrades like before.

...you can upgrade your ship's health bar, at least?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 07:02 PM   #120
Mr Light
Admiral

I got one Assassin to call on, but he only works in the cities? I keep forgetting about him actually. I really liked having squads to call upon.