Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 16 2012, 10:35 PM   #31
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Nut-allergic child's mom demands oak trees be removed from schooly

There was a local story here a few months ago where a kid brought a sandwich to school and it was confiscated. They thought it was peanut butter when it really was a peanut butter replacement. Apparently it's part of a policy to ban anything that they can't be sure about, so rather than take a risk, they confiscated his sandwich.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 12:21 AM   #32
MacLeod
Admiral

^Seems a tad draconian.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 12:34 AM   #33
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I don't understand why nut allergies are on the increase.
Kirby wrote: View Post
^^ From what I understand the increase in nut allergies in children corresponds to the beginning of genetically modifying nuts, specifically peanuts in the early 1980s. I think this is more circumstantial evidence than anything else but I've never gone looking for studies on it. Either way, I think GMO foods are kind of scary.
StolenThunder wrote: View Post
My understanding is that a rather simple explanation is a heightened response to non-threatening environmental substances due to less frequently encountered environmental pathogens in this age of hygeine and cleanliness.

So instead of being tuned to bacteria and that, the immune response becomes overactive to other allergens.
That seems a far more plausible explanation. Blaming everything on genetically modified foods is this decade's equivalent of blaming everything on atomic bomb tests back in the 1950s.
Old November 17 2012, 12:58 AM   #34
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I just want to point out that it's not always possible to avoid things you are allergic to. For example, someone allergic to trees might know not to go near them. But sit in a classroom that has had open windows, or next to someone who dries their clothes outside, and you can stil, react. I'm not saying ban everything, just that awareness can only go so far.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 05:40 PM   #35
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I'm allergic to fools. Can someone please remove all politicians from this planet?
Old November 17 2012, 08:52 PM   #36
scotpens
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
There was a local story here a few months ago where a kid brought a sandwich to school and it was confiscated. They thought it was peanut butter when it really was a peanut butter replacement. Apparently it's part of a policy to ban anything that they can't be sure about, so rather than take a risk, they confiscated his sandwich.
Seems a tad draconian.
That's what comes of having idiotic "zero tolerance" policies. Zero tolerance is for authorities who don't want to be bothered with having to make judgments based on common sense.
Old November 17 2012, 09:04 PM   #37
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I hope the kid doens't share mom's attitude. I can just imagine how well it'll go over with her prospective employers when she demands that they pay for extensive landscaping around the workplace, and impose limits on what the other employees are allowed to bring in for lunch.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 10:10 PM   #38
MacLeod
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Seems a tad draconian.
That's what comes of having idiotic "zero tolerance" policies. Zero tolerance is for authorities who don't want to be bothered with having to make judgments based on common sense.
Common sense what is this strange concept of which you speak. :P
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 11:15 PM   #39
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

teacake wrote: View Post
macloudt wrote: View Post
I came across this article a few days ago. The comments are hilarious, including several links to medical articles stating exactly what M'Sharak said.

I knew a child who takes regular medication because simply being around oak trees at certain times of the year could trigger anaphylactic shock (this was several years ago and I can't remember exactly what triggers the allergy, only that she was "allergic to oak trees"). The child's mother, a nurse, made sure the child always took her medication, always had an epi-pen on her, and sent the child on her merry way outside to play with the other children. No way in hell did she expect a single tree that wasn't on her own property to be cut down, even though in this rare case being around an oak tree really could kill her child. The child was four years old when the allergy suddenly developed, and from that age she could recognise an oak tree and knew to stay away from it.
That's pretty interesting, what were her symptoms when she was around the trees? I'd be looking at moving somewhere where these trees were uncommon, though that might be counterproductive if slight exposure over the years build up the body's resistance to them. And I suppose there are whole countries where you'd be stuffed as far as no oaks went.
If I remember correctly, the child wasn't directly near a tree the first time the allergy kicked in. She did well on her medications, and, to be frank, it's difficult to avoid trees in the Canadian province of Ontario. As the child does well on her medications there's no need for the family to move to the prairie provinces or above the tree line.
Old November 17 2012, 11:22 PM   #40
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Above the tree line! That would be hell.

I knew some people who moved to French Island which is a flat wasteland to avoid allergies.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 11:40 AM   #41
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

Living in a place with no medical facilities when you suffer from allergies may not be the best idea, though.

While I'd love to visit above Canada's tree line, I'm too much of a city girl to want to live there.
Old November 18 2012, 07:04 PM   #42
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Orkney or Shetland. Full Scottish social, educational and health services. No trees.
Old November 18 2012, 07:12 PM   #43
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

If the kid is allergic to nuts, maybe she should be taken away from her mother.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 08:05 PM   #44
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Seems a tad draconian.

Yeah, exactly. Obviously, zero tolerance will work better for some things like bullying, but there are things like this that require a more hands-on approach. If you think about it, zero tolerance prevents society from learning and adapting to situations, which is all part of life's experiences.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 09:06 PM   #45
bbailey861
Admiral

Bid to banish trees has ended:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11...yber-bullying/
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote