Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 15 2012, 12:41 PM   #646
NewHorizon
Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Salinga wrote: View Post
So, what you are saying is: Curry uses his chance now to override Legato's decisions?
lol

...and CBS-Digital.

I sincerely hope CBS-Digital plays a larger role in Seasons 4 and 6. I simply can't bare to see this happen to two more Seasons.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 12:44 PM   #647
MickJo1701
Commander

This issue between the differing styles of work produced by Legato and Curry should be irrelevant. The work CBS D did for season 1 set the tone for the remastering process and that's what should be looked at as the benchmark for quality and continuity.

If the Enterprise doesn't look like this, Its being done wrong.
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_050.jpg
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 01:41 PM   #648
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
That's fair. I'm not trying to convince anyone else to buy the season, I just know I will.
I plan on buying it. Sometimes things don't look the same in motion as they do in still photos. But if it ends up being a much poorer product than season one, it'll shake my faith in the project and make me much more apprehensive when deciding whether or not to buy future seasons.
Yes, I feel the same way. I'll certainly pick up Season 2, but with some trepidation. I can't quite believe I'm actually considering my stance on future seasons - TNG on Blu-ray was an instant, day one, no-brainer purchase for me prior to all this.

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
This issue between the differing styles of work produced by Legato and Curry should be irrelevant. The work CBS D did for season 1 set the tone for the remastering process and that's what should be looked at as the benchmark for quality and continuity.
Agreed.
Old November 15 2012, 04:22 PM   #649
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

trekker670 wrote: View Post
In the comments of the article people are pointing out some pretty bad mistakes in compositing:

These 3 shots use the EXACT same starfield, despite being different perspectives:
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...ntfires_hd.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...hocube1_hd.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...tfires2_hd.jpg

The enterprise was "squashed" in this shot:
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...sdrema4_hd.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...tgomery_hd.jpg

I'm going to keep my preorder, but I too am pretty disappointed in the composition of this set...
Of all the things that could bug me, having the same starfield is not one of them. It would have been nice to have them change but I can live with it.

And to be honest, even though I feel the quality might not be as good as S1, I am still going to buy it. It is a bit disappointing though.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 05:50 PM   #650
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think everyone needs to go look at the cartoonish, increasingly dated CG effects on the TOS blu-rays again. Compared to that, what we're getting here looks like it could pass for feature-quality.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:11 PM   #651
trekker670
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
I think everyone needs to go look at the cartoonish, increasingly dated CG effects on the TOS blu-rays again. Compared to that, what we're getting here looks like it could pass for feature-quality.
Agreed, that's the reason I never got TOS on blurry. The effects looked outdated and cartoonish even when they first came out. I'm much more impressed with TNG, even with what we've seen in season 2
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:21 PM   #652
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

This is true. It's a real shame the negatives weren't kept for all of TOS's F/X work.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:50 PM   #653
davejames
Vice Admiral

Agreed, that's the reason I never got TOS on blurry. The effects looked outdated and cartoonish even when they first came out. I'm much more impressed with TNG, even with what we've seen in season 2
Yeah, maybe the ship isn't "contrasty" enough for some people's tastes, but at least we're talking about model work that will still hold up on screen 20 years from now.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 07:45 PM   #654
Stephen!
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
There would be no need. The motion pictures were mastered in 35mm; the only reason they're recompositing Star Trek: The Next Generation is because it was mastered on video.
Were the "special edition" DVDs for the TNG movies mostly identical to the original DVD releases, aside from additional features?
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:19 PM   #655
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
I'm glad I bought TOS on Blu-ray, but I turned off the new effects long ago.
Old November 16 2012, 05:23 PM   #656
Flake
Commodore

It's the inconsistency that is annoying me. If we had got these shots for season one instead of what CBS-D did, we would be praising them.

Someone needed to ensure the shots where consistent.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 05:37 PM   #657
NewHorizon
Captain

Flake wrote: View Post
In my personal opinion, both CBS and Dan Curry dropped the ball on Season 2. CBS should have had people working directly with HTV-Illuminate on Seasons 2, 4, and 6...or at the very least, have one of their own CGI artists do a final continuity pass before the episodes were finalized.

As an outsider, it feels like Dan Curry took the " lets show those hot shot kids how it's done" approach, when in truth...CBS showered the show with nothing but love and respect for Season 1, striking an amazing balance of 'how it looked in our memories vs. how it looked in reality'. Dan and his crew have gone to extremes to make it look exactly the way it was, only clearer. In many cases using explosions and star backdrops that aren't HD quality, as if to make a point of some type. When I saw the screenshots starting to pour out, my heart sank.

CBS-Digital gave me the show as I remembered it in my mind...and I want MORE of that. If Dan Curry isn't willing to play along with CBS-Digital, then he should step aside so we don't have 3 inconsistent seasons.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 06:08 PM   #658
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
In my personal opinion, both CBS and Dan Curry dropped the ball on Season 2. CBS should have had people working directly with HTV-Illuminate on Seasons 2, 4, and 6...or at the very least, have one of their own CGI artists do a final continuity pass before the episodes were finalized.

As an outsider, it feels like Dan Curry took the " lets show those hot shot kids how it's done" approach, when in truth...CBS showered the show with nothing but love and respect for Season 1, striking an amazing balance of 'how it looked in our memories vs. how it looked in reality'. Dan and his crew have gone to extremes to make it look exactly the way it was, only clearer. In many cases using explosions and star backdrops that aren't HD quality, as if to make a point of some type. When I saw the screenshots starting to pour out, my heart sank.

CBS-Digital gave me the show as I remembered it in my mind...and I want MORE of that. If Dan Curry isn't willing to play along with CBS-Digital, then he should step aside so we don't have 3 inconsistent seasons.
Well put, NewHorizon. The really sad aspect of all this - even if TPTB step up to the plate and ensure the consistency of forthcoming seasons, we're always going to have this "sore thumb" painfully protruding from a body of otherwise excellent work.

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; November 16 2012 at 07:56 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 08:03 PM   #659
M
Vice Admiral

Oh boy, poor Dan Curry has become the popular scapegoat pretty fast around here. Guys, give it a break. Firstly, it's unlikely that Dan Curry and Dan Curry alone is responsible for the decline of quality you think you are seeing. It's a whole team working on the remastering. A team which is notably overseen by Michael and Denise Okuda – just like season one. And secondly: The man worked on the freakin' show we are talking about here. So please cut him some slack. I'm sure once we are able to see the results in motion, most won't be disappointed any longer.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 08:15 PM   #660
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I am really noticing the added brightness in the orbital Enterprise and Enterprise versus the Borg cube shots and I don't think I like it. The general washed-out look of the composited models detracts from the sense of depth that is present in the original shots with more shading. I'm not going to cancel my order or anything but it is kind of disappointing. Hopefully they'll learn and Season 4 will be done with more care.