Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old November 12 2012, 09:28 PM   #31
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Maybe they're banking on the Nash=D'Antoni connection from their Phoenix days
- Proverbs 12:20
Old November 13 2012, 12:11 AM   #32
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Neroon wrote: View Post
Maybe they're banking on the Nash=D'Antoni connection from their Phoenix days
That is what is being banked on -- only that connection resulted in no championships. True enough the Phoenix teams didn't have Kobe, Dwight, Pau, or and organization that has championship experience, but D'Antoni's no D (loser) approach will likely still be in effect. Supposedly he is bringing two of his former "no D" ass assistants with him for good measure.

I know D'Antoni is an upgrade over Mike Brown but it doesn't feel like we went from Brown to D'Antoni -- it feels like we went from Brown to Phil Jackson to Mike D'Antoni. That's a bad feeling.
Old November 13 2012, 12:42 AM   #33
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Interesting take on the Jackson situation:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--la...-11051709.html

Jackson wanted to humiliate Lakers vice president Jim Buss far more than he wanted to coach the team. He wanted significant allowances on travel, coaching duties and an ability to veto player personnel moves that didn't fit his vision. With an unprecedented 11 coaching championships, Jackson had every right to make unprecedented demands. He doesn't have the right to be surprised when the Lakers rejected them and hired a pliable, cheaper coach in Mike D'Antoni
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old November 13 2012, 01:40 AM   #34
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

1001001 wrote: View Post

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--la...-11051709.html

Jackson wanted to humiliate Lakers vice president Jim Buss far more than he wanted to coach the team. He wanted significant allowances on travel, coaching duties and an ability to veto player personnel moves that didn't fit his vision. With an unprecedented 11 coaching championships, Jackson had every right to make unprecedented demands. He doesn't have the right to be surprised when the Lakers rejected them and hired a pliable, cheaper coach in Mike D'Antoni
That was a pretty interestingly timed hit piece.

In any event, it's rather clear that Jackson overreached, and his agent is doing a pretty terrible job of spin control in the aftermath. I'd say the most successful coach of all time can make those kind of demands, but I understand why the Lakers might not have been eager to sign away all decision-making and then possibly end up with Kurt fuckin' Rambis as head coach in a year.

D'Antoni will be an interesting fit. I think a lot of the complaints about defense stem from him having a team where Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire were the two major focal points. His defense was pretty good when he had Tyson Chandler, and Dwight Howard is a souped-up version of that. That being said, though, there are some knocks on him; the fact that he can't customize his system to his personnel is problem number one. Problem number two is that he's incredibly bad at in-game adjustments. Problem number three is he's a distraction on the sidelines because he's completely unprofessional. So it'll be interesting to see how he deals with the LA media.

I mean, I understand the desire for Jackson, but I thought he seemed pretty much done in his last year, and his demands were patently ridiculous (if true). Fans would have been driven nuts seeing Nash wasted in the triangle, and I don't think Howard would learn it in time to save the season.
Old November 13 2012, 07:58 PM   #35
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I had also heard that Jackson wanted part-ownership in the team. He knew he had them by the balls and tried to score a massive home run.
Old November 13 2012, 09:14 PM   #36
gblews
Rear Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post

Woj is the only one of the ESPN guys whose opinion and reporting I respect with regard to the NBA. But I think his belief that Phil was in a pissing match with Jimmy Buss is way off base. Phil is 67 years old and I just don't believe that at this point in his life, he needs to prove who has the largest trouser snake in the room -- especially if it is just Jimmy Buss in that room with him. BTW, now Jim I can see maybe needing to win such a battle.

As has been pointed out, considering who Phil is and what he has done for this organization, an ownership stake was certainly not an unreasonable request. Magic was sold a stake in the team at a reduced amount because ODB just loves him. But with his 5 championships and 7 Finals appearances in the 00's, Phil has increased the value of the franchie tremendously. Pat Riley hadn't done anything close to this (still hasn't) and got an ownersip stake in the Heat.

But after a night to sleep on it, I can see why the Lakers made this move. I still think it was a huge mistake in the short term, and that's all that really matters right now, and an iffy proposition for the long term. The Lakers see D'Antoni (and his more modern than Phil's, offense), Howard, and (for a while) Nash, as the team's future. That means they are willing to give up some of the sureness of a present with Phil, Kobe, Pau, Nash, and Howard, for that future.

Huge, huge gamble with a coach who has NEVER been to the Finals, especially with LeBron attempting to form a dynasty in the east. If D'Antoni does manage to get this team to the Finals, he is liable to be pretty satisfied, ecstatic even, but he may not be aware that Laker fans are so "over" that -- we want the ring or it means nothing.
Old November 15 2012, 01:15 PM   #37
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Magic was sold a stake in the team at a reduced amount because ODB just loves him.
Old November 15 2012, 09:02 PM   #38
gblews
Rear Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Magic was sold a stake in the team at a reduced amount because ODB just loves him.
ODB = "Old Doc Buss" -- a nickname given to him by a former sports talk host in L.A., with apologies to the original "Bastard", I'm sure.
Old November 15 2012, 11:34 PM   #39
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander

View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29

I hope the Celtics are good this year and I hope the Lakers do not win a championship
Old November 16 2012, 04:21 PM   #40
Borgminister

Between the two, I'd say the Lakers have the better shot. I wouldn't write off a Miami repeat.
Old November 16 2012, 05:20 PM   #41
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

poundpuppy29 wrote: View Post
I hope the Celtics are good this year and I hope the Lakers do not win a championship
The Celtics have managed to stay competitive while getting older. They always seem to have an unspectacular roster if you read on down the line after the big stars, but theyre usually solid players who can contribute.

Between the two I'd say Boston has a better chance and I'm not a fan of either team.

The Lakers are switching offenses along the way, have a new coach coming in with no camp, a lot of egos in the room to tip toe around. The D'antoni system is great if you want to win 57 games during the year, make all the highlight reels, and get burned by your lack of D in the playoffs. Plus the West is the more competitive conference.

Boston just has to contend with Miami and maybe the Knicks if they keep it up.
Old November 17 2012, 12:42 AM   #42
gblews
Rear Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
poundpuppy29 wrote: View Post
The Celtics have managed to stay competitive while getting older. They always seem to have an unspectacular roster if you read on down the line after the big stars, but theyre usually solid players who can contribute.

Between the two I'd say Boston has a better chance and I'm not a fan of either team.

The Lakers are switching offenses along the way, have a new coach coming in with no camp, a lot of egos in the room to tip toe around. The D'antoni system is great if you want to win 57 games during the year, make all the highlight reels, and get burned by your lack of D in the playoffs. Plus the West is the more competitive conference.

Boston just has to contend with Miami and maybe the Knicks if they keep it up.
If Bynum ever gets rolling in Philly, the Celts may not ever see Miami or New York in the conf finals. Andrew pretty much has his way with the Celts' big men, espcially KG.
Old November 17 2012, 05:11 PM   #43
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I forgot about him. He could elevate that team assuming he can get and stay healthy.
Old November 17 2012, 05:59 PM   #44
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Bynum is having setbacks. I'd love to see how the team looks with him as a piece, but I wonder how long it'll take before they sync together.
Old November 17 2012, 06:35 PM   #45
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

At this point you really need to wonder if he's ever gonna be healthy for a full 82.
Closed Thread