Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 16 2012, 04:34 AM   #76
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Forbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 12:11 PM   #77
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

So I've watched the first part of the pilot last night, I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, unfortunately. That's why I haven't read lurok's review yet.

Some first thoughts:

- What's with these people's language?! I felt quite disoriented during the first 15 minutes because of it. And why are the Chinese(?) bits not sub-titled?

- I feel the actor who plays the captain looks a bit too young and too shiny to be a convincing grumpy, disillusioned captain and to call the Doctor "boy".

- I had quite some laughs, but some of the humorous bits rubbed me the wrong way. "Kaylee is dead". Har har.

- I do hope the characters will develop beyond the stereotypes they appear to represent in the first 1.5 hours, e.g. the whore, the priest, the nerd, the comedic sociopath…

- I love the feel of the ship, people having to climb ladders and stuff.

- On a superficial note: I think the Doctor is cute.

I don’t sound too enthusiastic, do I?

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 12:58 PM   #78
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The language: "it is a future where the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in the fusion of the two cultures." Chinese influence abounds in design, swear words, food and other cultural clutter. You can find translations for the Chinese words online.

I find the pilot is at it's best after you watch the whole series, the opening battle scenes are tightly woven into things to come.

Inara is an interesting character and I'm convinced (from subtle things to come) that her story is a sad one and she's doing the best she can. I always assume she is faking it as far as the sex goes. One thing I notice in Serenity the pilot is that when her customer asks after her world she is gripping her fingers in tension:

Being a highly trained professional it seems this lapse, though unseen by the doofus she is in bed with, is rather telling.

I think it's a great pilot because it introduces so many elements to what is to come as well as showcasing each character rather well.

My favorite bit is where Simon is holding the agent at gunpoint but utterly freaked and Mal just rides up and shoots the dude

Firefly's grease is all attitude, that's pretty much in every scene. It grows on you.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne

Last edited by teacake; November 16 2012 at 01:18 PM.
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 01:54 PM   #79
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
The language: "it is a future where the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in the fusion of the two cultures." Chinese influence abounds in design, swear words, food and other cultural clutter. You can find translations for the Chinese words online.
It's not so much the Chinese but the English language that is confusing to me as a non-native English speaker. These people use strange words and at times the grammar seems messed up.

Hercule Poirot
Old November 16 2012, 01:58 PM   #80
lurok
Commodore

... "it is a future where the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China...
I wasn't even sure they were Terrans.

My favorite bit is where Simon is holding the agent at gunpoint but utterly freaked and Mal just rides up and shoots the dude
Admittedly that was good.
Old November 16 2012, 02:15 PM   #81
teacake
Admiral

Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
It's not so much the Chinese but the English language that is confusing to me as a non-native English speaker. These people use strange words and at times the grammar seems messed up.
True, there's plenty of new vocabulary. It's a long time into our future after a lot of wars and degeneration and expansion and melting pot. Probably if this was real we couldn't even understand them.

lurok wrote: View Post
... "it is a future where the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China...
I wasn't even sure they were Terrans.
They refer to Earth as Earth-that-was. If humans still live there its exact location is long lost. It's remembered as their origin planet.

Unlike BSG though no one is looking for it

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 16 2012, 02:24 PM   #82
Skywalker
Admiral

So which Earth is Earth-That-Is, and which is Earth-That-Will-Be?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 02:29 PM   #83
teacake
Admiral

I don't think anything is called earth, or new earth.

Earth-That-Was was the original home of all humans. A series of events led to the mass exodus of Earth's population, A great fleet left Earth founding a new civilization in a new star system. Many of the facts about "Earth-That-Was" have been lost to the pages of history.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 16 2012, 02:34 PM   #84
lurok
Commodore

I was also a tad confused because I was convinced Inara was non-human. It's not just the superficial exotic thing either. Something about her character...Although that might also be my subconscious desire to see Baccarin play a Vulcan, Rommie or vampire.
Old November 16 2012, 02:54 PM   #85
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

So I've watched the first part of the pilot last night, I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, unfortunately. That's why I haven't read lurok's review yet.

Some first thoughts:

- What's with these people's language?! I felt quite disoriented during the first 15 minutes because of it. And why are the Chinese(?) bits not sub-titled?

- I feel the actor who plays the captain looks a bit too young and too shiny to be a convincing grumpy, disillusioned captain and to call the Doctor "boy".

- I had quite some laughs, but some of the humorous bits rubbed me the wrong way. "Kaylee is dead". Har har.

- I do hope the characters will develop beyond the stereotypes they appear to represent in the first 1.5 hours, e.g. the whore, the priest, the nerd, the comedic sociopath…

- I love the feel of the ship, people having to climb ladders and stuff.

- On a superficial note: I think the Doctor is cute.

I don’t sound too enthusiastic, do I?
These mirror many of my first impressions as well. I think Nathan works as the captain, though. "Kaylee is dead" didn't cause me to laugh and it made the crew look mean. "Boy," wasn't necessary. My favorite character would probably be Simon (the Doctor), but not by much because I ended up really liking them all. By the end of the 14 episodes, they still are a little stereotypical, but they work.

The language is a bit jarring/disorienting at first, but you get used to it. It's an odd mangle of old American Western English and, I believe, Mandarin Chinese. I think when I watched the DVD special thing, they said that the two big powers in the future spoke English/Chinese and so that's what everyone grows up learning to speak. It would have been nice to get subtitles, but what's said in Chinese is supposed to be negligible.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 04:34 PM   #86
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

The wording is a bit twisty at times. It takes some getting used to. I imagine that might be even more difficult for a non-native speaker.

Don't rely on the subtitles on the DVD, by the way. They get a lot of things wrong. For instances, in a later episode the line "Gorramit, Mal!" (which is basically a swearr) is subtitled as "You're a rabbit, Mal!"
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 07:55 PM   #87
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

lurok wrote: View Post
I was also a tad confused because I was convinced Inara was non-human.
I thought the exact same thing. There was something quite surreal about her encoounter with that customer.

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
It would have been nice to get subtitles, but what's said in Chinese is supposed to be negligible.
I found an online Firefly dictionary, so I can now swear in Chinese.

Lindley wrote: View Post
Don't rely on the subtitles on the DVD, by the way. They get a lot of things wrong. For instances, in a later episode the line "Gorramit, Mal!" (which is basically a swearr) is subtitled as "You're a rabbit, Mal!"
Thanks, for the warning. I'll keep that in mind.

Hercule Poirot
Old November 16 2012, 09:45 PM   #88
Forbin
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
So which Earth is Earth-That-Is, and which is Earth-That-Will-Be?
I'll be in the car.
Old November 16 2012, 09:47 PM   #89
Forbin
Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
It would have been nice to get subtitles, but what's said in Chinese is supposed to be negligible.
It's also usually quite rude, and occasionally filthy.
Old November 16 2012, 10:33 PM   #90
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Not always. Simon often calls River "mei-mei", or "little sister". What's consistent is that the meaning of the Mandarin can usually be intuited from context, or else doesn't matter.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote