Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 16 2012, 01:39 AM   #106
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: I need to run this by some people...

Nah, I'm good. I'm generally not fond of hugs. What did you want to discuss?
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 07:09 AM   #107
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Kommander wrote: View Post

teacake wrote: View Post
It's a good thing you don't live in my country, I can't imagine that a guy your age peppily discussing boundaries would get much.
What? Someone questioning my appeal to women? This has never happened before. I am confused and hurt by this. Seriously, this is going to take some time to sort out. There may be crying.
I don't allow crying in my presence, cyber or otherwise, unless there is an understanding between the cryer and his/her partner or potential partner that my listening to the crying is done out of an impartial and respectful desire to partake of the human condition and that there will be no personal, ie possibly bonding element between the cryer and myself as a result of the crying.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 07:18 AM   #108
Kommander
Commodore

Namikaze wrote: View Post
I lurk more than I post, I suppose it is because I think it is redundant offer my two cents when everyone else has, especially when threads like this give me a headache because they become more about the contemplation of the act of asking a girl out rather than sharing the outcome of the attempt.
I somehow overlooked your post before. Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you.

As much as it looked like it, this really wasn't a "I like a girl and I'm nervous about asking her out" thread. That was more of a separate issue. I understood long before starting this thread that the solution was "find the balls that you've clearly misplaced and fucking ask her out!" However, understanding something logically and being in the proper emotional state to do it are two separate things. Although, several people pointing this out probably helped with that.

The point of the thread was more "I have an idea for something that is in line with my penchant for being exceedingly obtuse. However, if too overt it may appear creepy, and if too subtle won't be noticed and be a waste of time. How likely is it that I can pull off something between the two extremes." Which, several people pointed out that my original title was probably too overt, and I decided they were right. Although, at first I thought she didn't get it, but given recent developments, I'm pretty sure she got it and understood what I was getting at. So, I probably pulled it off.

Also, it has come to my attention that my avatar of the Weird Kid from Misfits was probably shaping the perception of this thread, even for those that aren't familiar with the show or character. So, I changed my avatar to the fictional character I most identify with and best represents my personality: Shawn Spencer from Psych. If one goes back and imagines Shawn narrating all my posts, this thread will probably make a lot more sense.

Kestra wrote: View Post
What did you want to discuss?
Facetiousness. When is it appropriate to be facetious? How does one determine if another is being facetious? How does being facetious affect one's ability to communicate?

teacake wrote: View Post
I don't allow crying in my presence, cyber or otherwise, unless there is an understanding between the cryer and his/her partner or potential partner that my listening to the crying is done out of an impartial and respectful desire to partake of the human condition and that there will be no personal, ie possibly bonding element between the cryer and myself as a result of the crying.
That's probably the best impersonation of me I've seen in quite a while.
Kommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 11:47 AM   #109
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I don't do well with facetiousness from people that I don't know. Especially over the internet. Plus my humor filter is a bit broken at the moment, sorry!
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 03:45 PM   #110
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
"Arrangement"? Dude, you two have a nascent friendship, not a job!
The two are actually somewhat similar, hence the point of the comic.
Hombre... nay. The point of the comic is that Calvin is a conceited child, and the humor lies in the fact that his stuffed tiger is wiser and more mature than he is. We're meant to agree with Hobbes at Calvin's expense.

Ironically, it sounds to me as though you may be coming down with a case of oneitis, for which the cure is to go out and meet ten other women. {...} Until then, however, it's probably best to direct your romantic/+sexual hopes elsewhere... unless, of course, you elect to straight-up ask her to dump her guy and give you a shot.
This does not apply to my way of thinking, and would take a very long time to explain. It's easier just to say, read up on polyamory if the subject is of academic or personal interest to you. I can probably dig up some links if you'd like.
You'd like to date several women, including her, and she doesn't want to date you at the moment. Ergo, seems to me your best course is to look for dates elsewhere. What am I missing?

I don't trust myself to decide if her boyfriend is a dick or not. To put it bluntly: he's interfering with what I want, I'm biased, and I'm not going to be a dick.
Impartiality is important in courtrooms; in dating, not so much. Nor are personal biases and correct judgments necessarily incompatible. Anyhow, one can always consult with friends or other clear-minded parties to make a determination on said bf's possible dickitude...
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 08:11 PM   #111
Kommander
Commodore

Hombre... nay. The point of the comic is that Calvin is a conceited child, and the humor lies in the fact that his stuffed tiger is wiser and more mature than he is. We're meant to agree with Hobbes at Calvin's expense.
Analogy noted. Also, being condescending is not the same as providing support for an argument. I've overlooked it until now but it's really becoming tiresome.

You'd like to date several women, including her, and she doesn't want to date you at the moment. Ergo, seems to me your best course is to look for dates elsewhere. What am I missing?
I don't have a preference for the number of women I am romantically involved with or date, but I don't want to be limited to one. I don't decide what kind of relationship I want with someone before I know what's possible. I like this girl and am attracted to her, and she seemed to feel similarly, so a dating-type situation seemed like it might work. However, her and her boyfriend have decided to restrict the types of relationships they can form with others, so dating won't work. However, friendship may work, so we're trying that. If we decide in the future that friendship isn't working or that something else might work better, we'll discuss it and make changes then.

Impartiality is important in courtrooms; in dating, not so much. Nor are personal biases and correct judgments necessarily incompatible. Anyhow, one can always consult with friends or other clear-minded parties to make a determination on said bf's possible dickitude...
"He doesn't respect you, you deserve better, and you should leave him." That would be telling her what to do and what she should believe. Seems kind of controlling and manipulative.

"He was being very disrespectful toward you. Is that the kind of boyfriend you want?" pretty much expresses the same thought. However, it leaves it up to her to make the decision herself and shows that I do respect her.

The first makes him look bad, and makes me look bad to a lesser degree. The second makes him look bad, but also makes me look good. The choice seems pretty clear.

Let's say he is a dick, she realizes that, and she leaves him and her and I start dating. Eventually, someone else is going to come along that wants me out of the way, and is likely to try to convince her that I'm a dick. He'll have a much harder time doing that if I focus on making myself look good rather than making others look bad. Also, if I have to be manipulative to maintain a relationship, it's probably not a very fulfilling one.
Kommander is offline   Reply With Quote