Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 15 2012, 03:23 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: One of Tor.com's writers did a review of Diane Carey's Final Front

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Riker decided Data was subhuman scum.
Remember, Carey wrote this book so early in the process that all she had to go on were the writers' bible and the "Farpoint" script. And in the original writers' bible, "Bill" Riker's prejudice toward Data was presented as a significant facet of his character, something that would be an ongoing source of conflict between the two of them. Carey couldn't know at the time that it would never be mentioned again after "Farpoint."

All of the first original novels in the post-TOS series -- Ghost Ship, The Siege, The Escape, and By the Book -- were written by authors who had only series bibles and early scripts to work from. I think the reason Ghost Ship feels the most "off" in retrospect is because TNG was the series that underwent the most evolution and transformation in its early days, that diverged the most from what was written in the bible. But that's hardly Carey's fault. She did the best she could with the resources she had.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:02 PM   #32
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Absolutely. At any rate, that characteristic was reserved for Dr. Pulaski, I suppose--until she had an unexplained change of heart, mid-season.

Still--interestingly enough, Picard makes a brief reference to the envents of "Where No One Has Gone Before"--explaining why Wesley's on the bridge.

I'm guessing Diane had an early script, on that.

Still, I'll admit that Ghost Ship was my least favorite of Diane's novels--because none of the characters seemed particuarly sympathetic. They all seemed cold, and pretty flat.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:23 PM   #33
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I wonder how carefully the person read the book. April's condition that makes him 'slightly cold most of the time' and the saboteur having to disable locked doors are detailed in the story.
Old November 15 2012, 08:37 PM   #34
Relayer1
Commodore

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
I just the Vonda McIntyre’s Enterprise: The First Adventure review.

Does she do a lot of weird stuff in Trek too? I mean the Crystal star was one of the weirdest things by SW standards.

Crispin did a great Han Trilogy on the other hand.
E: TFA had genetically-engineered pegasus getting to fly for the first time and Spock's cousin Stephen, an emotional Vulcan juggler, as the Enterprise ferried a carnival between Starbases. Oh, and Spock mind-melds with a big bird and ends up thinking he's one too. Weird enough?
I remember not liking that book and some of the others around at the time which took Trek off in really fanciful directions.

I haven't read that many of Careys books outside of novelisations but did read Dreadnought and Battlestations years ago and enjoyed them. It's a pity the portrayal of Boma isn't consistent with 'That Which Divides', but there's no doubt lots of other issues as well.
Old November 15 2012, 09:06 PM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Riker decided Data was subhuman scum.
Remember, Carey wrote this book so early in the process that all she had to go on were the writers' bible and the "Farpoint" script. And in the original writers' bible, "Bill" Riker's prejudice toward Data was presented as a significant facet of his character, something that would be an ongoing source of conflict between the two of them. Carey couldn't know at the time that it would never be mentioned again after "Farpoint.".
I ran into that problem with my early DS9 novel. A few readers complained that Kira was too harsh to Bashir in that book, but, again, all I had to go on was the script for the pilot episode in which Kira does give Bashir a hard time. I picked up on that business and ran with it, not knowing that Kira and Bashir would get along much better in future eps . . . .