Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 15 2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Living Arrangements

As I mentioned before, I share a house with some relatives here in the SF Bay Area. Since none of us could really afford to buy a house on our own, we decided to pool our resources instead of renting and possibly spending more. I must say home ownership is priceless, but it does have some disadvantages, like noise and privacy issues among other things.

One issue that has come up recently is the bathroom use. I really hate it when my older brother cuts into my bathroom time. Although we have two and a half baths, one is detached from our house, and hardly anyone ever uses it because it's "outside." Every day I get up at a certain time to take a shower, and that timeframe could be anywhere between 6:50 a.m. and 7:15 a.m. Barring any traffic jams, I usually get to work on time at 8 a.m.

Lately, however, my brother has had an odd work schedule in which he gets up early to arrive at work at 8 a.m. This means I would get up at 6:50 or 6:55 a.m. and he would still be showering. As a result, I was very late for work two or three times this past month because of his lack of coordination. He and I had already made arrangements and let each other know who's going to shower at what time. I've even tried getting up at 6:30 a.m. to shower before he does, but this morning, guess what? He was already in the freaking bathroom!!! I had to wait an extra seven minutes, which made me late for work, though not by much, but still late.

I feel like I'm doing my best to be accommodating, but this douchebag brother is just plain inconsiderate. So I figured I'm going to do an OCCUPY BATHROOM demonstration tomorrow morning, just cut in front of him when he's about to enter the bathroom, and stay in there for a whole freakin' hour.

What say you? What's your living arrangement like--single, living with a roommate/spouse/partner/family member? Do you run into problems living with them?
Old November 15 2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Living Arrangements

If you have 2.5 baths, is there a reason you can't just use the other one when he's in the one you normally use? I don't see why this is so hard to deal with.

Me, I try not to room with anyone unless I'm a) sleeping with them or b) I fathered them. (No, not both.)
Old November 15 2012, 08:57 PM   #3
sojourner
Admiral

Um, one of you shower before bed?
Old November 15 2012, 09:01 PM   #4
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, one of you shower before bedtime and then use the half-bath to brush your teeth, wash face, etc. in the morning. Then no one would be late.
Old November 15 2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I have four cats, so I often have to wait in line to use the litter box.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

My house (or, my mother's council house, where I live ) has two toilets, and it's always amusing when I visit my uncle's because their house has only one, despite there being twice as many people living there. Never having to wait for a toilet at home means that I'm in the habit of holding it off until I really need to go, and when I'm at my uncle's I forget that it isn't wise to do that when the possibility exists that the toilet will be occupied. Waiting for a toilet - what madness is this?!
Old November 15 2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Stop being immature about it and talk to him. Either get up early (5:30, 6, whatever) or shower at night like people have mentioned. Yes, it's inconvenient. That's part of living with someone.
Old November 15 2012, 09:38 PM   #8
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Post work and shower schedules on the fridge and coordinate.

If you actually have a second shower though there is no reason for this just because one shower is nicer than the other.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 11:06 PM   #9
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
If you have 2.5 baths, is there a reason you can't just use the other one when he's in the one you normally use? I don't see why this is so hard to deal with.

Me, I try not to room with anyone unless I'm a) sleeping with them or b) I fathered them. (No, not both.)
Everyone in the house is aware of my "bathroom schedule" in the morning. Having said that, I don't think it's right for my brother to cut in front of me when he already knows this. I'm the one who normally uses the bathroom from 6:50 - 7:15 a.m. I've already bent over backwards to accommodate him, and he should get his ass to shower at the other room.

sojourner wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
Yeah, one of you shower before bedtime and then use the half-bath to brush your teeth, wash face, etc. in the morning. Then no one would be late.
I keep hearing this from people, but to me I'd like to start my day with a nice, hot shower. It helps me feeling clean and fresh when I go to work. Plus, I could get sweaty just sleeping in bed overnight.

Kestra wrote: View Post
Stop being immature about it and talk to him. Either get up early (5:30, 6, whatever) or shower at night like people have mentioned. Yes, it's inconvenient. That's part of living with someone.
Being immature can be fun, especially if I do it out of spite to someone I care about.
Old November 15 2012, 11:07 PM   #10
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Why the hell do you have a detached bathroom? Did someone remodel an outhouse? Growing up I had to share a bathroom with my two brothers and we had a shower schedule of sorts. I would typically take my showers at night, and just stick my head under the shower for a few seconds in the morning to get rid of the bed head, and then my brothers would each take their showers. We rarely had problems.
Old November 15 2012, 11:09 PM   #11
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

^ Beginning tomorrow, I'll post my schedule on the bathroom door.
Old November 15 2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Being immature can be fun, especially if I do it out of spite to someone I care about.
That just looks bad, honestly. My sister and I are a year apart and even in high school we weren't this juvenile about bathroom schedules.
Old November 16 2012, 12:48 AM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Everyone in the house is aware of my "bathroom schedule" in the morning. Having said that, I don't think it's right for my brother to cut in front of me when he already knows this. I'm the one who normally uses the bathroom from 6:50 - 7:15 a.m. I've already bent over backwards to accommodate him, and he should get his ass to shower at the other room.

sojourner wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
I keep hearing this from people, but to me I'd like to start my day with a nice, hot shower. It helps me feeling clean and fresh when I go to work. Plus, I could get sweaty just sleeping in bed overnight.

If you are getting sweaty in bed overnight, it could be that you have two many layers (Sleepwear, covers etc..) . In really hot weather (not that we get it much in the UK) I've slept more or less with a single sheet and junked the uvet due to the weather even though I use a summer one all year round.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 01:06 AM   #14
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

captrek wrote: View Post
I have four cats, so I often have to wait in line to use the litter box.
Darn, beat me to it!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 01:32 AM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Perhaps you and your brother could just shower together? I understand it saves water.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote