TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 15 2012, 06:59 PM   #61
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Okay, I'll try it, but if that's the case, then why doesn't it work using the yellow smiley?

I'll try what you are suggesting, but I've never had to do this before.

It looks like that's the issue, but that's interesting. Still, that's a settings issue because I've never had to do this before in any other forum that I've used that has vB software (as shown in the pic from the other forum I provided). It is what it is, though. At least this works now. Thanks for your help.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 07:04 PM   #62
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Okay, I'll try it, but if that's the case, then why doesn't it work using the yellow smiley?

I'll try what you are suggesting, but I've never had to do this before.

It looks like that's the issue, but that's interesting. Still, that's a settings issue because I've never had to do this before in any other forum that I've used that has vB software (as shown in the pic from the other forum I provided). It is what it is, though. At least this works now. Thanks for your help.
Yea, you don't necessarily need the "About", but, you gotta have the "=" in the opening spoiler tag

I enjoyed the Pilot too (many Pilots aren't the greatest of episodes), and it is a little jarring to begin with, but, it sets things up nicely, and I think it really hurt the show's initial chances not being shown in order, thereby making an arc harder to follow.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 07:07 PM   #63
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ Which is still weird to me, but I'm letting it go. I can use spoilers now, and that's all that matters to me.

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you for the "=" tip.

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Spoiler coding does not work for me, either, apparently. I used the appropriate icon, the coding looked correct, but nothing showed up.
Exactly. It's settings. I say this because I have been a mod before. No worries, just follow what sojourner suggested. Here, you just have to say what the spoiler is about ( or "=") using the bbcode.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old November 15 2012, 07:47 PM   #64
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, you don't necessarily need the "About", but, you gotta have the "=" in the opening spoiler tag
Yea you're right, but the computer programmer can't have an equal sign without something on both sides of it. Or maybe I'm a little OCD.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:26 PM   #65
Chanukahjes
Commodore

View Chanukahjes's Twitter Profile

Onto Our Mrs. Reynolds (earlier episodes on Hulu are for Hulu+. But that's okay; I''ll play along and improvise. And probably make weird conclusions, which I'd likely do if I was watching it from the start anyway.

Last edited by Chanukahjes; November 15 2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: figuring out spoiler code
Chanukahjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:33 PM   #66
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I think really what just needs to happen, if anybody wants to do it, is just clean up the settings so that:

1. The yellow smiley that adds spoiler tags actually works. It seems like they added in that smiley and the regular spoiler tag code attached to it that pops up and wraps around the text when using it, but then the forum settings/configuration wasn't set to actually have it work when you press submit/Post/Preview.

2. Both the regular bbcode for spoilers ([ spoiler][/spoiler]) and the descriptive bbcode for spoilers ([/spoiler=whatever][/ spoiler] are setup to work. And frankly, I think if this is done, then the yellow smiley would work, which takes care of #1.

If this is done, then I think things would be okay. It does make me wonder if a couple of other things I can't do yet (embed video and use animated icons) are privilege-based or not.

-----

@Jespah - Yes, our Ms. Reynolds was a nice episode. But, that's not the next one up for review, is it?

Old November 15 2012, 08:58 PM   #67
Chanukahjes
Commodore

View Chanukahjes's Twitter Profile

It's all I got S/U fan, as I ain't payin' for Hulu+.

I'm gonna be confused (and likely confusing as well) no matter what. Don't mind me.
Chanukahjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 09:10 PM   #68
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

lurok wrote: View Post
Meh. Just what the board needs: another Firefly watch thread
I was just thinking that we hadn't had one in a while. This sounds like a great excuse to give my Blu-ray edition another viewing.
Old November 15 2012, 09:10 PM   #69
sojourner
Admiral

I think really what just needs to happen, if anybody wants to do it, is just clean up the settings so that:

1. The yellow smiley that adds spoiler tags actually works. It seems like they added in that smiley and the regular spoiler tag code attached to it that pops up and wraps around the text when using it, but then the forum settings/configuration wasn't set to actually have it work when you press submit/Post/Preview.

2. Both the regular bbcode for spoilers ([ spoiler][/spoiler]) and the descriptive bbcode for spoilers ([/spoiler=whatever][/ spoiler] are setup to work. And frankly, I think if this is done, then the yellow smiley would work, which takes care of #1.

If this is done, then I think things would be okay. It does make me wonder if a couple of other things I can't do yet (embed video and use animated icons) are privilege-based or not.
Still not sure why you have any problem with spoiler functions. You're also the first to claim problems with animated icons. Maybe you should open a thread in the QSF forum. There may be something wrong with your account in general.

Embedded video support is limited. You can attach youtube clips by using

[ yt]youtube clip url here [ /yt]

That's the url for the youtube clip, don't use any embed code generated by the site.
Old November 15 2012, 09:25 PM   #70
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post

Still not sure why you have any problem with spoiler functions. You're also the first to claim problems with animated icons. Maybe you should open a thread in the QSF forum. There may be something wrong with your account in general.

Embedded video support is limited. You can attach youtube clips by using

[ yt]youtube clip url here [ /yt]

That's the url for the youtube clip, don't use any embed code generated by the site.
If you look up thread, Shawnster said that the yellow smiley that's supposed to work doesn't work for him either. Does it work for you? That's why I asked if one of the mods could check the settings, if they can (it probably would have to be an admin).

And just because other people haven't complained doesn't mean that they are not having the same issues. I've been here almost 3 months and never said anything because I thought it had something to do with privileges since they say you get to do more as you move up the ranks. I can't be the only one that has thought that.

As for opening up a thread in the QSF, I thought I'm supposed to wait if a moderator is working on it, but perhaps it can't hurt to ask there too. Thanks again.
----------------------------------------

@jespah

Oh, well then I'll watch for the both of us.

Old November 15 2012, 09:26 PM   #71
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Now that this whole thread has turned into how to use spoiler tags it's even more derailed. Personally I'm hoping it gets closed and lurok can start a fresh clean thread with episode by episode discussions as we already have for varying shows elsewhere.

Who wants to wade through 5 pages of this to get to the topic.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 09:36 PM   #72
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ teacake, I already suggested to lurok hours ago that a new thread be started since it took 4 pages/days for a review to post after the thread began. Derailment was almost inevitable in that case, and I think that's where any derailment started.

As for the spoiler tags issue, it went to PM and then came back out when a mod asked me to post here so he could see what was happening, and then suggestions flowed from there. I think it's good because I'm sure other people have had some of the same issues too.

If lurok wants to start a new thread or continue from here, then it's up to him.

Old November 15 2012, 09:38 PM   #73
sojourner
Admiral

To keep it short, no, I have never had a problem using the spoiler function.
Old November 15 2012, 09:41 PM   #74
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ Interesting. I'll post a thread in the QSF to see what's up since some of us have/do.

Old November 15 2012, 09:41 PM   #75
Neroon
Mod of balance

Since the spoiler code question is answered, any further comments and questions should be taken to PM or QSF. Let's get back on track to talking about the review of the show, and proceed from there.