IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 6 2012, 07:37 PM   #16
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: WASD

Yeah, unless you're left handed or missing some fingers, I don't get how WASD could be uncomfortable. For FPS or even 3rd person games like Mass Effect it's always felt perfectly natural. Of course, this coming from someone who grew up using AZOP on one of these things!

I should note though, I do have an Xbox369 for Windows controller and to prefer to use it with games like Tomb Raider, Super Meat Boy and even Skyrim. It really depends on how the game is set up.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 03:43 AM   #17
Anduril
Captain

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
You use your ring finger for the A, your middle finger for the S and W (leave it rested on the W), and your index finger for the D, and your thumb rests on the space.
Man, I was doing it all wrong all this time. No wonder it was uncomfortable! No one ever told me how!

However, I'm still firmly entrenched in my ASDF so I don't see myself changing it anytime soon.
Old November 12 2012, 07:56 PM   #18
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

WASD just feels natural, though I could see some merit to moving that pattern further into the middle of the keyboard (e.g. ESDF or RDFG) in certain games (ones with lots of binds like WoW).

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 10:55 PM   #19
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Rothschild wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
You use your ring finger for the A, your middle finger for the S and W (leave it rested on the W), and your index finger for the D, and your thumb rests on the space.
Man, I was doing it all wrong all this time. No wonder it was uncomfortable! No one ever told me how!
You must not have played computer games back when the arrow keys were used by the right hand? It's the same layout and a pretty natural transition to using WASD on the left hand from there. I do know a guy who wasn't willing to ditch the arrow keys though, so now he just slides his keyboard way to the left and uses arrow keys plus the various buttons in that area: right shift/ctrl, numeric keypad, and the ins/del cluster for all his other commands.

Sounds like a royal pain having to rebind your keys for every single game you play.
Old November 14 2012, 06:17 PM   #20
Anduril
Captain

The first PC game I played was Wolfenstein 3D. I can't recall the keyboard configuration I used with that. I clearly remember first using ASDF way back in '98 when Half Life came out. Those were the days.
Old November 14 2012, 09:05 PM   #21
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^Wolfenstein was likely the arrow keys plus left shift/ctrl/alt.
Old November 14 2012, 10:30 PM   #22
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Yeah, Wolfenstein 3-D defaulted to arrow keys, Ctrl, Alt, and space (for doors/switches.)
Old November 15 2012, 04:28 AM   #23
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

If I remember correctly you could map keys in Spear of Destiny, the follow up to Wolfenstein.
Old November 15 2012, 09:06 AM   #24
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I believe it was Unreal that introduced WASD, though I could be wrong. It was such a brilliant yet simple change that made sense and PC gaming had never been the same since
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 09:50 AM   #25
TheOneWhoKnocks
Vice Admiral

I just plug in a controller
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
TheOneWhoKnocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 04:35 PM   #26
John Clark
Commodore

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Yeah, I believe it was Unreal that introduced WASD, though I could be wrong. It was such a brilliant yet simple change that made sense and PC gaming had never been the same since
For me, it was probably either Unreal 1, Quake 1 or Duke 3d that got me using WASD.

For Doom 1 & 2, I managed to scrape through using Q & A for backwards and forwards, O & P for left and right, Shift for space, M for fire. That (like Reverend) is probably a legacy from the spectrum days. It was only with those when I found I really needed to use the mouse.
Old November 15 2012, 06:41 PM   #27
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
I just plug in a controller
I don't know how anyone can prefer a control stick to a mouse for aiming. It's so imprecise.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 07:33 PM   #28
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

John Clark wrote: View Post
For me, it was probably either Unreal 1, Quake 1 or Duke 3d that got me using WASD.

For Doom 1 & 2, I managed to scrape through using Q & A for backwards and forwards, O & P for left and right, Shift for space, M for fire. That (like Reverend) is probably a legacy from the spectrum days. It was only with those when I found I really needed to use the mouse.

Oh, I never played much Quake, so it might have had that setup too, though I thought I remembered it still used the arrow keys and shift setup.

I still remember Unreal and thought that was one of the things it did really well.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 07:40 PM   #29
John Clark
Commodore

Oh, I never played much Quake, so it might have had that setup too, though I thought I remembered it still used the arrow keys and shift setup.

I still remember Unreal and thought that was one of the things it did really well.
I'm not sure if the arrows were the default for Quake either which leads me to think either Unreal or DN3d and I just carried on from there as I played them all roughly at the same time.

DN3d has a good case for me having gone to WASD as more keys were within reach over the arrows and I seem to remember needing a lot more buttons with that one.
Old November 15 2012, 07:45 PM   #30
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I definitely wouldn't credit Unreal with coming up with WASD. They were one of the earlier games to have it as the default control scheme. WASD was common in the Quakeworld days but it wasn't the default. If you recall for Quake you even had to manually enable 'mouselook'.

And yeah 'plugging in a controller' is a pretty sad way to play an FPS on PC