Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Babylon 5 and Deep Space Nine match up
Babylon 5 has a better Plot 46 74.19%
Deep Space Nine has a better Plot 17 27.42%
Babylon 5 has a better Cast 23 37.10%
Deep Space Nine has a better Cast 42 67.74%
Babylon 5 has a better Commander (John Sheridan) 25 40.32%
Deep Space Nine has a better Commander (Benjamin Sisko) 38 61.29%
Babylon 5 has a better set of villains (The Shadows) 39 62.90%
Deep Space Nine has a better set of villains (The Dominion) 26 41.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 15 2012, 06:27 PM   #31
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: Babylon 5 vs Deep Space Nine

teacake wrote: View Post
DS9 can only wish it was as complex as Babylon 5.

Babylon 5 can only wish it looked as neat and put together as DS9.
And teakcake with the Captain Janeway avatar: Voyager can only wish it didn't have as many time travel and hollowdeck episodes not mention the very worst of ST Trek, the dreaded Threshold episode where some of the crew evolve into giant salamanders and mate.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 05:03 PM   #32
DeepSpaceWine
Commander

I'm detecting a lot of negativity on these B5 threads for certain Star Trek series...
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 05:20 PM   #33
Relayer1
Commodore

B5 was a tremendous achievement and certainly had the best bad guys, but lost out heavily in all the other areas. With notable exceptions Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurassik, the cast ranged from plain embarrassing to barely adequate and just doesn't compare.

I'd be more than happy for JMS to bring it back, but it doesn't compare to DS9.
Old November 17 2012, 04:52 AM   #34
EmoBorg
Captain

I prefer B5 plot over DS9 plot anytime. I voted for B5 Cast because of Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik acting. Their acting alone compensated for the few others bad acting in the series.

Sheridan and Sisko were a close fight but in the end i voted for Sheridan because i am more familiar with him.

The Shadows as the villains were far more interesting. The Dominion were nothing more than run of the mill villains who fought others because they saw them as threats. The Shadows were hardcore Social Darwinist who practiced what they preached. A far more interesting antagonist.

Last edited by EmoBorg; November 17 2012 at 05:41 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 08:44 AM   #35
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

DarthTom wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
DS9 can only wish it was as complex as Babylon 5.

Babylon 5 can only wish it looked as neat and put together as DS9.
And teakcake with the Captain Janeway avatar: Voyager can only wish it didn't have as many time travel and hollowdeck episodes not mention the very worst of ST Trek, the dreaded Threshold episode where some of the crew evolve into giant salamanders and mate.
I will defend Threshold until my gills dry out.

I only wish it had been me in that mud pool with Salamander Janeway

Who had the most holodeck episodes of all the holodeck series? I don't mean eps where some character is in it for a brief scene for color but episodes that primarily take place on the holodeck or are about the holodeck malfunctioning. While I've always bashed holodeck episodes there were some very good ones in both VOY and DS9. I'm very fuzzy on TNG ones as its my least watched series so I can't comment there.

As to time travel, I love time travel and I will take as much as Trek can give me. No complaints there.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 11:44 AM   #36
arthur2sheds
Lieutenant

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Babylon 5:

I never much cared for The Shadows. Felt too much like something out of Lord of the Rings rather than a science fiction show. The Dominion worked much better.
Babylon 5 WAS The Lord of the Rings in space, thats why it worked so well.
Old November 17 2012, 12:10 PM   #37
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I was a LOTR nerd in high school, read the trilogy quite a few times. But I love Babylon 5 far more. Sure the story itself is not as tight, not as complete, not as perfectly explained, the show is like a diorama compared to the LOTR films. But the Bab 5 universe is endlessly fascinating in a way LOTR is not. Also, it contains real women!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 10:30 AM   #38
Mage
Fleet Captain

The problem with a great plot is, if your storytellers aren't so good, the plot can suffer. And at times, the bad acting made B5 a pain to me. Then again, Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulis (spelling???) made up for some of that quite well.

The Shadows really were nothing more then evil baddies for the sake of being evil. Unfortunatly, after a while, so was the Dominion. What started out as a great concept (a UFP but different, more of a dictatorship) quickly turned towards something more one-dimensional as wel. The idea was to have different races on the bridges of Dominion ships, all subject races to the Founders, making sure that by ruling them, these races could never hurt them. The Founders ruled the Dominion out of fear of being ruled themselves.
The Shadows.... well, some people just want to watch the world burn. And that works great for a movie-villian (The Dark Knight), but as a basis for a serial villian that needs to work for two or three seasons... pretty difficult. JMS made that up by having the Shadows having bad-ass ships and plotting behind the scenes, but their overall motivation (aswell as the motivation for the Vorlons) was lacking, I feel. Perhaps I had hoped for something more grand.