RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,692
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 816
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 15 2012, 12:30 PM   #31
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: nine minutes!

It's just going to be still images of those three frames for three minutes apiece.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 12:40 PM   #32
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'm half-hoping that, even after the 9-minute preview, we're still none the wiser as to Benedict Cumberbatch's identity
Old November 15 2012, 02:39 PM   #33
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I'm half-hoping that, even after the 9-minute preview, we're still none the wiser as to Benedict Cumberbatch's identity
His name will be spoken several times... but dubbed over with a comedy sound effect.

A Starfleet delta obscuring each actors' mouth.

Just to mindfuck any lip readers.
Old November 15 2012, 02:46 PM   #34
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

This is fantastic, I applaude you, madam.

dJE

teacake wrote: View Post
Nine minutes to rule them all
Nine minutes to find them
IMAX to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 03:21 PM   #35
Matt S
Lieutenant

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
tmosler wrote: View Post
Does any one know i we have to go t theaters to see the footage or will it apear online shortly afterwards?
I call bullshit. Why would you show 9 minutes 6 months or so out?

Why 9 minutes? Why not a proper trailer?

Nah, not digging this at all and not digging having to pay to see The Hobbit either, can't stand Jackson or this folksy shite.
My god man, do you need a hug over there or what? Just saying
Old November 15 2012, 03:44 PM   #36
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It will NEVER...

...BE GOOD...

......ENOUGH!!!

Seriously, I suspect thats about the time we'll get the trailer, if not before.
Old November 15 2012, 04:32 PM   #37
Saul
Rear Admiral

9 minutes. The best part of the film?

I'd prefer a trailer. I'm not big on these 9 minute cock teases because I don't want to spoil the movie and I want to enjoy it properly within the full context of the movie's running time.

Last edited by Saul; November 16 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 04:40 PM   #38
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Not much choice at this point. Thanks to JJ, Paramount's got a LOT of lost time to make up for in terms of getting people excited again. I'm strongly tempted to say even this is too little, too damn late.

There's still half a year to go before it premieres. There's plenty of time to promote the movie and then some.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:01 PM   #39
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Not much choice at this point. Thanks to JJ, Paramount's got a LOT of lost time to make up for in terms of getting people excited again. I'm strongly tempted to say even this is too little, too damn late.
You're entirely mistaken.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:19 PM   #40
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Poor JJ. First, there wasn't enough. Only 3 frames? Who's the Villain? Where's the news? Now, there's too much. Really? Nine whole minutes??? And the entire Hobbit movie has to be attached too???
--------

No wonder he took his name out of the hat for Star Wars. Although, I wonder if a little voice, deep down inside, said "If I had only waited..." I suspect he'd like to swap if he could, but Star Trek needed him, imo. While people complain, and kick, and scream, I hope he can remember that.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:19 PM   #41
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I'd be interested to know if this was JJ's idea or Paramount's. Wouldn't surprise me if the Star Wars Episode 7-9 announcement factored into this, the nine minutes being a way to recapture some lost thunder for Trek XII. Not to say that they needed to--I think Trek XII will be plenty high-profile when the time comes--but it does strike me as the kind of consideration a studio suit would tend to make, for good or ill.
Old November 15 2012, 06:23 PM   #42
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ A good point. I don't think this was his idea, the same way having a contest where fans get added into the background of STID wasn't his idea either, but the Studio's.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:28 PM   #43
lurok
Commodore

Sheesh. All this quivering with anticipation. It will have spaceships and pretty people in rainbow colors. Nuff said.
Old November 15 2012, 06:45 PM   #44
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post

There's still half a year to go before it premieres. There's plenty of time to promote the movie and then some.
Exactly.

If I'm "Joe Star Trek Fan", then I know the film is coming out next May -- and while telling me stuff about the film 6 months before it comes out is good for me, it won't really make a difference in May. I'm seeing it May whether you promoted it in October/November or not.

If I'm "Joe Movie-Goer" then heavily promoting the film now is irrelevant, because I don't care what's coming out 6 months from now -- I only want to know what coming out in the next few weeks. If I see ads a month or two before it comes out (and maybe a super bowl ad to kick the whole thing off -- no pun intended), then that's good enough for me.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; November 15 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:57 PM   #45
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Vektor wrote: View Post
I'd be interested to know if this was JJ's idea or Paramount's. Wouldn't surprise me if the Star Wars Episode 7-9 announcement factored into this, the nine minutes being a way to recapture some lost thunder for Trek XII. Not to say that they needed to--I think Trek XII will be plenty high-profile when the time comes--but it does strike me as the kind of consideration a studio suit would tend to make, for good or ill.
Yes, the grand new announcement, what everyone wants to see!

Episode VII

STAR WARS VS STAR TREK

I wonder which fanbase that would piss off more?