Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 15 2012, 10:54 AM   #151
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: Louisiana petitions Obama for secession.

I actually like this map a lot more. It conveys a better sense of where people voted for each candidate.
Old November 15 2012, 11:54 AM   #152
Starkers
Admiral

Kestra wrote: View Post
I actually like this map a lot more. It conveys a better sense of where people voted for each candidate.
Dang some parts of America are stil quite empty aren't they? Or maye some parts of America just don't vote!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 01:01 PM   #153
MacLeod
Admiral

^Or those parts registered fewer than 100 votes for each candidate.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 01:59 PM   #154
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Dang some parts of America are stil quite empty aren't they? Or maye some parts of America just don't vote!
Cool map. It's fun to play guess the city based on the concentration of voters you see there.

A lot of places are pretty empty. You ever drive through Wyoming or Montana or places like that? The guy that makes the 'No Services 100 Miles' signs must have made a fortune there.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 02:12 PM   #155
Starkers
Admiral

Given I've only ever visited the States once and never left New York, no I haven't...but obviously I've seen it in the movies

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 02:54 PM   #156
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Starkers wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's a huge country.
Old November 15 2012, 02:55 PM   #157
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^Or those parts registered fewer than 100 votes for each candidate.
An area of many square miles with fewer than 100 voters sounds pretty "empty" to me.
Old November 15 2012, 02:59 PM   #158
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Atomic Dog wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
It's sad that the petition still only has 1 vote.

Then go vote for it. The Klingon Empire needs your support! Plus, it doesn't get made public until it gets 150 votes so no one can see it on the site yet.
I'm neither Klingon nor American, it's not for me to vote on.
Old November 15 2012, 03:53 PM   #159
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

T'Girl wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
How much more expensive things will be when they have to export them from a foreign nation that sits right next door?

Who exactly do you think will be importing from whom?
Look, you posted a map. That's cute.

Most of that red is pretty vacant real estate. The USA would probably import it's food from California and Iowa...much like we do know.

Where would this new "Confederation" import everything else from? You'd lose all your network television and sports leagues (with those franchises leaving the new country). You'd have no manufacturing base...but hey...you'd have a lot of corn! Houston would lose NASA and the Western states would go broke because they'd have to buy all the federal land within their borders.

So far, sounds good to me!
Old November 15 2012, 04:08 PM   #160
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I've driven through Western Kansas, I can vouch for the fact there is nothing and nobody out there! Most of those counties through Western Kansas that are red? Probably represent fewer than 100 people.
Old November 15 2012, 06:12 PM   #161
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Atomic Dog wrote: View Post
Maestro wrote: View Post
What the hell is wrong with you people? Why haven't you signed the Klingon petition yet? Everyone Star Trek fan with his/her salt should be signing that! OK, maybe just DS9 fans... but still... let's get this done!

Thanks for the support, but unfortunately the petition has been removed by a site moderator. Apparently it violated the ToS because " The petition was outside the scope of We the People." Can't really argue with that I guess.
Nope. And I'll bet whatever low-level White House employee is responsible for the website got a giggle out of it.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 07:43 PM   #162
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Look, you posted a map. That's cute.
Please, yours is much more darling than mine.

Where would this new "Confederation" import everything else from?
Same places they do now? Why do you assume that relations between America an the newly sovereign states would be acrimonious?

While no State has ever left the country, some American territories have left to form new nations, and they continue to have quite good relations with America.

You'd lose all your network television and sports leagues (with those franchises leaving the new country).
American TV plays over large sections of the world, why would it stop wanting revenue from advertising?

I would imagine that the sport franchises would remain with their present cities. That is where they have their stadiums and their fan base.

You'd have no manufacturing base
With a hypothedically lower business tax rate and more reasonable regulations, why would they have no American manufacturing? American businesses would flock to the new and superior business/manufacturing environment.

No different than jobs going "over seas." Except it is former Americans doing the jobs.

all the federal land within their borders.
You mean of course the public lands, the citizen of those area being the public. And it being their land to start with.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 09:00 PM   #163
sojourner
Admiral

Jobs go over seas because the hourly rate in those countries is far below U.S. rates. I doubt any seceding states would suddenly lower those rates to be competitive.
Old November 15 2012, 10:11 PM   #164
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

T'Girl wrote: View Post
While no State has ever left the country, some American territories have left to form new nations, and they continue to have quite good relations with America.
Do you really think that if one or more states left the Union because they wanted to be petulant, whiny brats, the rest of the US would be happy to let them go and maintain normal relations?

If they want to act like children, they should be treated like children.
Old November 15 2012, 10:27 PM   #165
gturner
Admiral

It seems most of the states have petitions for secession, even Massachusetts, Maryland, and Vermont. However I found a petition that looks quite promising.

Establish new legal system of motorcycle riding "Judges" who serve as police, judge, jury, and executioner all in one.

This is a petition to dissolve the current legal system and replace it with a single Hall of Justice, run by Judges; motorcycle-riding law officers who act as police, judge, jury, and executioner.
WH link

Only 300 signatures so far, though.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote