Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 15 2012, 06:28 AM   #16
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

Re: nine minutes!

Does any one know i we have to go t theaters to see the footage or will it apear online shortly afterwards?
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 07:14 AM   #17
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

tmosler wrote: View Post
Does any one know i we have to go t theaters to see the footage or will it apear online shortly afterwards?
I call bullshit. Why would you show 9 minutes 6 months or so out?

Why 9 minutes? Why not a proper trailer?

Nah, not digging this at all and not digging having to pay to see The Hobbit either, can't stand Jackson or this folksy shite.
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:02 AM   #18
Devon
Fleet Captain

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
Paramount Picture's official press release says differently.

Nah, not digging this at all and not digging having to pay to see The Hobbit either, can't stand Jackson or this folksy shite.
One thing that you should understand is that "Star Trek Into Darkness" is also being released in IMAX3D. The Hobbit is the only HUGE film coming out soon in the same compatible format. Therefore....
OBVIOUSLY the IMAX3D chains want people to come back to experience their theater and their experience.
OBVIOUSLY Paramount wants to showcase how their film will look and sound in said format, so in what other way are they going to showcase their IMAX3D film?!?
OBVIOUSLY there is going to be a regular trailer released at some point.

There is absolutely *nothing* that you can use as an argument against it as one IMAX3D film is being promoted in front of another IMAX3D film. It's, with all due respect, absolutely insanely foolish to argue otherwise.
Old November 15 2012, 08:10 AM   #19
Pondslider
Lieutenant

tmosler wrote: View Post
If they handle it like The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises then it will not be officially online, but it will probably be on youtube in cellphone quality. The point is to encourage people who either might not see The Hobbit or not bother seeing it in the IMAX to pay extra to see the footage.
Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:23 AM   #20
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I had no intention of seeing The Hobbit in IMAX because it's expensive and a pain in the ass but if they show these nine minutes here I may just go ahead and do it. And sit in my seat waiting for the next screening so I can see those nine minutes again.
I was looking at session times for the imax in Melbourne. The imax there is cheaper than Sydney for tickets. All thou, Sydney has the world's largest imax screen. I know where I'll be seeing trek xii on my second viewing.

Anyways, when I saw this news this morning, first thought, will Australia get to see it when the Hobbit starts here on Boxing Day.

And with the possibility of youtube clips being taken. Meh to those. I can wait just two weeks and enjoy it on the big screen. Much better.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:34 AM   #21
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

Devon wrote: View Post

One thing that you should understand is that "Star Trek Into Darkness" is also being released in IMAX3D. The Hobbit is the only HUGE film coming out soon in the same compatible format. Therefore....
OBVIOUSLY the IMAX3D chains want people to come back to experience their theater and their experience.
OBVIOUSLY Paramount wants to showcase how their film will look and sound in said format, so in what other way are they going to showcase their IMAX3D film?!?

There is absolutely *nothing* that you can use as an argument against it as one IMAX3D film is being promoted in front of another IMAX3D film. It's, with all due respect, absolutely insanely foolish to argue otherwise.
I said weeks ago, on this forum, that this movie would be promoted in association with another 3D movie so take the supercilious tone and try it with someone else, I'll not bite. What I don't buy 9 minutes of out of context footage not presented as a trailer.

OBVIOUSLY you do, OBVIOUSLY I wish you all the luck in the world, I think you'll find I can start an argument about anything, with anyone, if I'm in the mood Sheldon.
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:40 AM   #22
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Nine minutes to rule them all
Nine minutes to find them
IMAX to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 08:59 AM   #23
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Well, this is freaking awesome news.

Trailer can't be far off now, surely.
Old November 15 2012, 10:18 AM   #24
mswood
Rear Admiral

Devon wrote: View Post

I said weeks ago, on this forum, that this movie would be promoted in association with another 3D movie so take the supercilious tone and try it with someone else, I'll not bite. What I don't buy 9 minutes of out of context footage not presented as a trailer.

OBVIOUSLY you do, OBVIOUSLY I wish you all the luck in the world, I think you'll find I can start an argument about anything, with anyone, if I'm in the mood Sheldon.
OK in simpler terms the reason why a longer look as opposed to a bunch of scenes cut together into a trailer is that full scenes were filmed in the iMax format (not the whole movie, kind of like what happened with 2nd Batman movie, the last mission impossible).

THose Imax theaters want to highlight what looks great on their screens. Which means the parts specifically shot for Imax.

So they will probably play one full sequence.

A trailer or teaser will have bits and pieces (usually) of a lot of different segments of the film, and the likely hood of those all being the parts shot specifically for Imax is very small.
Old November 15 2012, 10:23 AM   #25
donners22
Commodore

I didn't enjoy seeing XI on an IMAX screen at all - it was just too big, and became almost nauseating trying to follow everything that was happening during space battles (being a midnight screening didn't help).

Still, it's almost worth tolerating for such a big preview.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 11:10 AM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

mswood wrote: View Post

So they will probably play one full sequence.
I'm thinking this might end up being way too spoilery for me.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 11:25 AM   #27
EyalM
Captain

They must be pretty confident in what they have if they are going to release the first nine minutes. A bit of a gamble.
Old November 15 2012, 11:45 AM   #28
Nightowl1701
Captain

Not much choice at this point. Thanks to JJ, Paramount's got a LOT of lost time to make up for in terms of getting people excited again. I'm strongly tempted to say even this is too little, too damn late.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 11:56 AM   #29
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Holy frak !!! What a christmas present !!! I'm happy with just two mins but 9 mins that's ace !!!!!
Old November 15 2012, 12:25 PM   #30
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

They've been doing it like this with movies On Demand for awhile now, although it's usually 10 minutes.

It's totally a gimmick to get people into IMAX theatres for The Hobbit.