Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old November 14 2012, 05:50 PM   #2761
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

syberghost wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
SW:TOR is going free on Thursday, think I'm going to check that out. Not that their system is guaranteed to be any better, might even be worse, but it'll be NEW, and those DEVs haven't made a history out of disappointing and/or (usually and) lying to me.
In TOR you can't even do endgame if you're a free player. At all; only subscribers can do the raids.
True, and with some very big restrictions on gameplay overall. But spending as little as 5 bucks already lifts some of those permanently (buying a game copy from a bargain bin is enough) and playing through all 8 PvE storyline takes literally months!
So even a F2Per will never be out of stuf to do for up to a year. if you are still on it by then and hooked it is even likely you will have subbed by then.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 05:54 PM   #2762
Rocketeer
Captain

Was able to get on this weekend and do a mission and some other things with the daughter. That was fun.

Didn't have time to test anything on S7 yet. Update was initially a 1.2GB patch. Apparently that got corrupted then it went to a 3.9GB patch and that errored out at the end and went back to a 1.2GB patch. So I have it, but haven't looked at it yet.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 08:02 PM   #2763
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Meh, the possibility of 1440 dilithium per fleet action kind of negates any annoyance I have with the dilithium changes.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 09:12 PM   #2764
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

If it were solely for having an easy source for dilithium I'd agree. grind whatever mindless task is, however, not enough.
I want to have a tiny bit of fun while doing that.
And I want it to be social at teh same time.

Cryptic destroyed that possibility for now.

It's either advance (which will never end by the way, they will always introduce twice as many resource sinks than you can fill) or be a social player who has fun but only until it stops fun because he is falling behind... great choice...
Old November 14 2012, 09:37 PM   #2765
Scout101
Admiral

yeah, it's not that you can't get DIL (or Omega Marks, or Fleet Marks, or Romulan Marks, or EC, or Lobi, or Borg Neural Processors, or...) anywhere, it's that you've got yet again that many more to get, and you have to do what they want, for a set period of time, to get them. STFs were decent in that you used to be able to get a good variety (minus Fleet Marks) all in one place, and there was a little strategy and teamwork involved.

The SB24 (the new farm zone) DOES award DIL, but it's nothing but spam the spacebar for 1 minute, collect rewards. Why in the hell would you want to do that, and why's it preferable to what we were doing? Boring as all hell.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 09:58 PM   #2766
Jaro Stun
Captain

Just seems shocking that a whole new season launch is going over with this big a thud. No excitement, angry players, not even a splashscreen on the loader announcing the damn thing happened. (Still trying to sell us DOFF packs instead. Important, as they just made getting them in-game more expensive so that we'd buy these for cash). Only positive in a sea of negative changes is I guess we got a pretty new map to grind on. Same repetitive missions, rep system, another resource sink in the embassy to have to do MORE grinding on, but hey, it's new content, right? Right?
yes, thats what happens when you take western high value IP property and hand it over to asian grindfest developers. This is becoming eastern grindgame / chest opener with every patch they provide. It is kind of hard to be excited about that.
Jaro Stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 11:26 PM   #2767
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I can certainly see the drawbacks. That said--for me it has been the Foundry content that has kept me coming back. People have been complaining about losing the console clickies, but from the standpoint of someone who does want missions that have a story behind them, it's not going to be any change for me in what I do in-game. I was already mostly using full-length missions for my Officer Reports anyway. Unfortunately the Nagus Dailies (which I used to sharpen my space combat skills) may not make it under the new system, but I am sure I can find a 20-minute fighting mission for those times when I just want to fight, go after an accolade, or whatever.

As far as the fleet I belong to goes...honestly I doubt there will be any changes for us even though we're not that large. We probably won't pursue the embassy (though it remains to be seen what fleet leadership does), but I would say that for my fleet, we have other reasons for playing as a group than the speed of leveling up either ourselves or our starbase.
Old November 15 2012, 12:05 AM   #2768
Scout101
Admiral

the 1-clicks should have been blocked ages ago, obvious exploit. Annoying that they allowed that this long
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 12:25 AM   #2769
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Cryptic keeps somersaulting.

They returned the promised 480/960 dilithium rewards to STFs.
Unfortunately for those hoping for easy FA grinding, those rewards have been cut to 480-640 (may be tweaked again).
Old November 15 2012, 01:26 AM   #2770
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

I'm most surprised by their apparent inability to predict how their player base will respond to their changes. The fact that they keep flip flopping makes it seem like they really thought people wouldn't bat an eyelash.
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 02:54 AM   #2771
Blamo
Fleet Captain

The SB24 (the new farm zone) DOES award DIL, but it's nothing but spam the spacebar for 1 minute, collect rewards. Why in the hell would you want to do that, and why's it preferable to what we were doing? Boring as all hell.
To be honest I found STFs exactly the same, rather mindless and boring, especially having done something like 3 a day since the game went F2P.

On the otherhand fleet actions enabled me to get my dilithium grinding done quickly and allowed me to get on to doing something fun (like PvP and exploring new Romulus).

With cryptic nerfing the dilithium reward of fleet actions I've instead got to waste more time grinding it.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 05:47 AM   #2772
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Am I the only one who can't access Foundry missions?

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 05:51 AM   #2773
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

That's because the whole Foundry is disabled until all the missiosn are savely ported over into the new season code.
Old November 15 2012, 05:57 AM   #2774
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the info. Any idea how long?

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:11 AM   #2775
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Shouldn't be more than a few days. Somewhere next week at the latest I think.